House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
michelle2222

Thinking Of Moving To Lincoln, But Need Help

hi, my family and my self are looking into moving to lincoln in the near future, but are not to sure on the areas of lincoln, the good areas and the not so good areas, we have been looking at north hykenham area, i have to small children so schools and area are really important to me, thanks for reading michelle.

H Michelle,

I grew up in the Lincoln area and went to Robert Pattinson School in North Hykeham (I think there is a young famous actor with the same name now - no connection to my knowledge). Both Robert Pattinson and North Kesteven are good schools and do a decent job of pooling resources for A Levels. I think RP has won some awards recently for specializing in certain subjects. Both are relatively big schools - approx 1200 pupils. North Hykeham as a place to live is not bad. If being close to amenities is what you are looking for it is good. Close to town and both Brant Road and Newark Road have regular bus routes. The NK sports facility has a big pool, tennis courts etc. If your kids grow up playing sports they will have lots of opportunities. I don't really see any problems with North or South Hykeham. Areas to avoid include - Westwick Gardens, St Giles (avoid like the plague) parts but not all of Birchwood, some areas of Brant Road but most are nice, some areas of Lincoln City like the Sincil Bank area (this never used to be too bad but my family tell me it has gone down hill in the last few years) and Monks Road.

I am not sure of your circumstances but you might also consider some of the local villages if you prefer rural living - some are very nice. Ones to consider are Navenby, Saxilby, Thorpe, Harmston, Coleby, Doddington, Skellingthorpe, Washingborough and Branston. They are all nice and located in different spots around the city. Personally, I would prefer these to North Hykeham but you will not be as close to different amenities if that is your thing.

I hope you enjoy Lincoln, I grew up there but moved to the US when I was 22. I still go back every couple of years to see my family which are all still there. It holds good memories and the cathedral really is a special piece of architecture that ranks up there with some of the worlds greatest buildings. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi

Thankyou for your reply, it has been very helpful to me, but may i ask is there a hospital near by as i currently work for the nhs at a hospital near to were i live now, so when we do move i would have to take a transfer to a hospital in lincoln. Sorry about this but is north hykenham really really close to the centre, see we would like to be a reasonable distance not too close but not far if you get what i mean,

And thanks again for your reply, Michelle.

Lincoln County Hospital is about 15 minutes by car from North Hykeham (maybe 10 minutes if you catch the lights right). Not too far at all. There are other local health facilities in Hykeham but the main hospital is about 15 minutes away.

I am looking to buy in a village called Bassingham between Lincoln and Newark. Can anyone given me their opinion of this village. Does this area suffer from aircraft noise? My other place of interest is Gainsborough which I have never seen. How does Gainsborough compare to the rural west Lincoln area?

Any comments appreciated.

Bassingham is a lovely village. Worlds apart from Gainsborough which has a lot of problems. Aircraft noise is not too bad, but with the number of RAF bases around Lincoln you have to expect some.

I live in a village 7 miles south of Lincoln and I guess I notice about 5-6 aircraft per day overhead. After a while it doesn't bother you. They are never early in the morning or late into the night.

Darren.

Thanks for your comments - could you tell me what problems there are with Gainsborough? As for aircraft noise, you are quite right, I'm sure you get used to it after a while.

In general Gainsborough just has more run-down areas that Lincoln. I'm sure there are some nice parts to it of course. Our local paper is the Lincolnshire Echo which in theory covers the whole county. In reality it covers Lincoln and Gainsborough. Whenever you start to read a story about a fight, a robbery, a stabbing, etc., it will usually be in Gainsborough. Not saying these things never happen in Lincoln, but they seem to occur disproportionally more at Gainsborough.

There are some nice villages around Gainsborough, but I would avoid the town itself. For what is quite a small town is does have far more than it's share of problems. I worked in Gainsborough for a number of years and the town just seems to have a feeling of depressing hopelessness about it! Think Royston Vasey in the League of Gentlemen.....

It's a shame really, both my parents grew up there in the 1950's-60's and it was a pleasant and prosperous market town in those days, but the loss of much of the town's industry during the 80's really did for it. My dad visited there for the first time in about 20 years recently and was shocked at how much it has deteriorated.

Edited by Neil D Possitt

I grew up right next to Bassingham and know the area very, very well. A very nice small village, close to the A46, you will have to travel about 10-15 minutes for your supermarket shopping and big shop needs but it has a spar shop, a couple of nice pubs, lots of spots to walk around and a very good local GP. You have a combination of older village homes and new builds like Badgers Oak, but the new builds seem to have been built well and are in keeping with the village for the most part. I have since left the country so cannot comment as to whether or not the post office went when a bunch were cut. I hope not as it was very useful.

I concur with other comments about Gainsborough, but am not as familiar with the town myself so will defer to other posters.

I forgot to add that I lived there for 22 years and aircraft noise never bothered me once. You will probably find it is very very quiet and this is not for everyone but I certainly appreciated it.

MightyChimp, quiet is good as far as i'm concerned. Aslo the recommendation of a good GP is a bonus - do you remember his/her name?

Neil - as far as Gainsborough is concerned, I am considering a house in Morton just to the north. It seems to be totally connected to Gainsborough with little or no greenbelt between the two. The house overlooks the Trent so that is the attraction but the thought of living in a depressing little town is a huge turnoff. I read recently that some lads on motorbikes had been causing a real nuisance by riding at high speed along the riverbank in Gainsborough. They seems to keep getting away with it despite the best efforts of the police.

Thanks for all your input. If you have any thoughts about Morton, I would like to hear them.

My experiences of Gainsborough are from 10+ years ago, and there has been some attempt at regenerating the town since then, (mainly with a new shopping centre!), so perhaps I'm painting an overly negative picture of it. Personally though I would avoid it!

For all intents and purposes Morton is joined onto Gainsborough, as you say. It is technically a separate village though, and the residents have always seemed very keen to keep it that way. I've known a quite a few people who lived in Morton and were happy there, you do start to feel you're more out in the countryside once you get to Morton.

Teralin,

When I lived there the GP was Dr. Baker. He was very good, and I think is now running for office of some sort. I think the head GP now is a lady but I do not know her name. My Dad goes to her though and says she is also very good. The GP's office has a real community feel to it, gets to know their patients, and takes quick and speedy action for serious cases (I have seen them do this and it probably saved someones life).