House Price Crash Forum

Another Little Anecdotal

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
Guest KingCharles1st

School run yesterday- nice lady (who lives in mansion in one of Letchworth's most desired backwaters- ) comes over to me after parking her Merc R500 (the school is 4 minutes walk from her house) and says apologetically to me- "I'm sorry, my car is too fat."

"well it is quite big- but it's very nice"

"We want to change it- its costing us a fortune- but we can't get out of the contract..."

I think (as I posted earlier this week) that it is now the rich amongst us who are really getting worried. Their business may well not be able to pull in the trade of a few years ago, their savings aren't worth saving-

When this lot all goes- it's going to be like one of the Twin Towers going down

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I think the problem with luxury 4X4s is that they are deeply unfashionable now. They were bought as a fashion statement but the message they give out now is "I am an overpaid twit with more money than sense who doesn't care about using up the world's resources or killing fluffy little bunny rabbits (or children)"

Its not so much that these people can't afford them mostly, its more that the money they spent is not producing the effect they intended

HOLA443
I think the problem with luxury 4X4s is that they are deeply unfashionable now. They were bought as a fashion statement but the message they give out now is "I am an overpaid twit with more money than sense who doesn't care about using up the world's resources or killing fluffy little bunny rabbits (or children)"

Its not so much that these people can't afford them mostly, its more that the money they spent is not producing the effect they intended

Actually they are quite nice drive and if you buy a second hand one they are great value - agree with your statement that most people bought them for effect so they are stuffed and why buy new anyway?

My other cars a Fiat 500 not so such an unsual combo round here - second hand big old bus and really small second car.

I do my bit for the planet the car I don't really see as making a atatement either way - otherwise all the pious small car drivers would ride motorbikes and scooters when not dragging the kids around.

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA444
Guest KingCharles1st

In general I would tend to agree- but this family are "nice" and don't need stuff like that as a status symbol.

HOLA445

By the way my brothers got one as a loaner before his new smaller Volvo jeep comes along, they are postively foul so large they need parkings sensors all over like a frigging boat. Frightful things and I like big barges.

Sorry confusing post I mean some 4 x4' s drive ok but the R is some cross b***** thing all the weight of a 4 x4 without the nimbleness of a small one i.e old style ML

Edit to explain

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA446
Actually they are quite nice drive and if you buy a second hand one they are great value - agree with your statement that most people bought them for effect so they are stuffed and why buy new anyway?

Are they as nice to drive as something like a 5 series? If not, what is the point? High driving position I guess

HOLA447

I used to work in the car industry (worked engineering luxuary sports cars and a time on 4X4's) and it was somthing co workers could not fathom how luxury cars will get a double hit, firstly fewer people will be able to afford them and those who can with any sense will not want to be driving around in one when the full effect of this mess passes down to the masses. There will always be people with a stack of cash in a depression but flaunting it is somthing they will try very hard to avoid.

HOLA448
HOLA449
In general I would tend to agree- but this family are "nice" and don't need stuff like that as a status symbol.

Most people are "nice" once you get to know them. But why exactly did this family "need" a massive 4x4. I can afford any 4x4 on the road and have 3 kids with all the bikes and bags they need to carry and manage perfectly well with a car which does 55 miles to the gallon average. Doesn't turn any heads though, especially with the roof box perched on top.

HOLA4410

I knew family of born again christians once, they bought a Nissan Patrol or something equally hideous & the little girl told me they had prayed to God & God had told them to go for that car over some other choice :huh::lol:

HOLA4411
Guest KingCharles1st
Most people are "nice" once you get to know them. But why exactly did this family "need" a massive 4x4. I can afford any 4x4 on the road and have 3 kids with all the bikes and bags they need to carry and manage perfectly well with a car which does 55 miles to the gallon average. Doesn't turn any heads though, especially with the roof box perched on top.

OK- take one of my Irish Customers, runs a capital plant equipment hire and operation business.

2003-07, made so much money they didn't know what quite to do with it- so on advice, they chose to not pay tax, and instead pump all the profit into new equipment. Guess what- all that new equipment now stands idle in the yard, and I have heard the family have to find 80K a month just to stand still, in capital repayments, loans, overdraughts etc.

Now transfer that thinking to wealthy UK individuals, people who had openly taken excess money from their businesses in the good times, because at THAT TIME they could genuinely afford all the repayments on new toys and suck like, and had no need to MEW...

HOLA4412
I knew family of born again christians once, they bought a Nissan Patrol or something equally hideous & the little girl told me they had prayed to God & God had told them to go for that car over some other choice :huh::lol:

Indeed, even God has faith in Nissan.

HOLA4413
Are they as nice to drive as something like a 5 series? If not, what is the point? High driving position I guess

Driven all that stuff Beemers, Audis, Jags etc. I prefer the jeep on the motorway the high driving position has a lot to do with it.

HOLA4414

I think its the americanization of society, european cars only got big recently

Americans like big things. Folks go on about how the american trucks are absurdly large - theyre not to americans, theyre the same size as the average american saloon car in the 1970s, its just shortsighted fuel economy laws introduced by the carter govt all but outlawed large 'full size' saloon cars forcing everyone to get trucks. Unintended consequences i guess.

If anyones to blame for all these 4x4s its Jimmy carter.

HOLA4415
But why exactly did this family "need" a massive 4x4. I

You need a Canyonero (4x4) if you are a moderately incompetent driver, and for the safelty of you and your passengers prefer to drive a well-upholstered truck, which would be better employed invading Poland.

You must also believe that your squawking off-spring are more precious than those of your fellow road users and in the event of a serious accident prefer the bulk of a SUV, which will mash the other people into the road, but leave you pretty much OK.

As an aside, these behemoths do not go hand-in -hand with wealth ; a friend of mine owns a huge farm and historic manor house, but so detests these vehicles that he carries round a wad of abusive notes to stick on them. His prefered mode of transport is either mountain bike, held together with baler-twine or a Fergy tractor. Nothing to prove.

HOLA4416

My other cars a Fiat 500 not so such an unsual combo round here - second hand big old bus and really small second car.

I do my bit for the planet the car I don't really see as making a atatement either way - otherwise all the pious small car drivers would ride motorbikes and scooters when not dragging the kids around.

You've got a Fiat 500 and you don't think your car is making a statement?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great car but it's so trendy it hurts. Get a Panda instead if you don't want to make a statement.

HOLA4417
You've got a Fiat 500 and you don't think your car is making a statement?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great car but it's so trendy it hurts. Get a Panda instead if you don't want to make a statement.

You are right of course but hey it's an eco(ish) statement !

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
You must also believe that your squawking off-spring are more precious than those of your fellow road users and in the event of a serious accident prefer the bulk of a SUV, which will mash the other people into the road, but leave you pretty much OK.

No, I will buy a small 15 years old second handed Fiat or even better a scooter so in the case of an accident I am sure my off-springs will all die ...

What is wrong with an idea that I buy a bigger and stronger car to increase passive safety of my children???

Me and my wife are trying to be responsible drivers and we just want to increase the passive safety of our children. We do not drive to kill!

You are brainless and I claim my 5£!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425