House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roman Abramovitch

Nick Griffin Bnp

British National Party leader Nick Griffin said boats carrying migrants from Africa to Europe should be sunk to stop Europe being "swamped by the Third World".

Mr Griffin, one of two members of the far-right party elected to the European Parliament last month, said occupants of sunk boats could be given life rafts to get back to Africa.

Nearly 37,000 immigrants, many from Egypt and Sub-Saharan Africa, arrived in Italy by sea last year from Libya which has become a major staging post.

Mr Griffin said he would back the creation of a ocean-going force to block the Mediterranean route, but called for tougher measures to be introduced.

"The only measure, sooner or later, which is going to stop immigration and stop large numbers of sub-Saharan Africans dying on the way to get over here is to get very tough with those coming over," he told BBC Parliament's The Record Europe.

"Frankly, they need to sink several of those boats.

British National Party leader Nick Griffin said boats carrying migrants from Africa to Europe should be sunk to stop Europe being "swamped by the Third World".

Mr Griffin, one of two members of the far-right party elected to the European Parliament last month, said occupants of sunk boats could be given life rafts to get back to Africa.

Nearly 37,000 immigrants, many from Egypt and Sub-Saharan Africa, arrived in Italy by sea last year from Libya which has become a major staging post.

Mr Griffin said he would back the creation of a ocean-going force to block the Mediterranean route, but called for tougher measures to be introduced.

"The only measure, sooner or later, which is going to stop immigration and stop large numbers of sub-Saharan Africans dying on the way to get over here is to get very tough with those coming over," he told BBC Parliament's The Record Europe.

Well the answer is obvious, some people like the idea of killing immigrants and will vote for it. (Presumably he thinks his voters do so.)

Myself I think it shows that the guy lacks the self-discipline to be a proper politician and lacks the ability to relate outside his small political base (amongst other things).

sounds like a good idea to me

My point exactly. Some people like the idea. Others don't. He's aiming to appeal to those who already like him rather than trying to convert those who are ambivalent. A self-limiting strategy unless you're already a majority politician - and even then it doesn't work, ask the Republicans.

Well the answer is obvious, some people like the idea of killing immigrants and will vote for it. (Presumably he thinks his voters do so.)

Myself I think it shows that the guy lacks the self-discipline to be a proper politician and lacks the ability to relate outside his small political base (amongst other things).

What he said has been selectively quoted. The reporter asked him if he felt it was a good idea to murder immigrants and he pointed out that he never said he wanted to kill anyone, just that they should have their boats sunk to deter others who might follow. The quote at the top of the thread even has him as saying that it's to stop people dying on the journey over.

Guest anorthosite
What he said has been selectively quoted. The reporter asked him if he felt it was a good idea to murder immigrants and he pointed out that he never said he wanted to kill anyone, just that they should have their boats sunk to deter others who might follow. The quote at the top of the thread even has him as saying that it's to stop people dying on the journey over.

He's living in a dream world then. Sinking ships involves explosions and lots of deep water.

Unless he plans to evacuate the people from the boats first, in which case what's the point, other than a soundbite?

You 'd be suprised how many Spaniards think this is a good idea. Italy already getting tougher apparently.

He's living in a dream world then. Sinking ships involves explosions and lots of deep water.

Unless he plans to evacuate the people from the boats first, in which case what's the point, other than a soundbite?

That's basically what he said.

Guest anorthosite
That's basically what he said.

What, that he wants to pick them up first?

What, that he wants to pick them up first?

Send them back before they land in Europe then sink the boats, I think.

Send them back before they land in Europe then sink the boats, I think.

No, he wants to sink the boats while they are still in them - watch the interview. He would throw them a few life rafts if he is feeling generous.

In answer to the OP's question (which I presume was rhetorical, but IMO deserves a literal response), the reason they feel able to vote for him is that he is addressing worries and concerns that a lot of people have and that the mainstream parties refuse to. Calling him a racist twerp isn't going to make that fact go away. Responding to the widely held public perception that net immigration into the UK is now too high for our economy, culture and infrastructure to support, and adjusting policies accordingly might be a start. My preferred method, for example, would be as follows.

1. In order for a non-EU citizen to get a work permit here, the employer has to prove that they've attempted to recruit a suitably qualified UK/EU citizen and failed. If any such work permit is granted, the post to which it applies must be readvertised every three years, and given to a suitably qualified UK/EU citizen if one applies. Work permits for non-EU citizens do not allow other family members the right to live in the UK - just the worker him/herself.

2. No non-EU citizen living here is entitled to any social security benefits of any description until they can produce ten years' worth of P60s indicating NI payments at at least the full-time minimum wage. Taking out private health insurance is a legal requirement of being allowed to live and work here.

3. All applicants for work permits will be required to demonstrate fluency in written and spoken English equivalent to the current grade A at 'A' level, in an exam to be taken at the British embassy in their country of origin before arrival.

4. Any criminal conviction more serious than something like a parking offence results in instant deportation and a lifetime ban from re-entering the UK.

That is the sort of approach to immigration the public want to see, and is broadly in line with the ones operated by other major developed countries. Until our own mainstream politicians offer something similar, Griffin and his ilk will continue to pick up substantial numbers of votes.

Guest anorthosite
No, he wants to sink the boats while they are still in them - watch the interview. He would throw them a few life rafts if he is feeling generous.

Then he'll have to sink the lift rafts surely? Quite frankly, some of them will probably be safer than the boats they come in.

I have to say, he's surpassed himself with this level of twattery.

By agreeing with any number of the following policies (some of which are the law anyway):

- Deport all the two million plus who are here illegally;

- Deport all those who commit crimes and whose original nationality was not British;

- Review all recent grants of residence or citizenship to ensure they are still appropriate;

- Offer generous grants to those of foreign descent resident here who wish to leave permanently;

- Stop all new immigration except for exceptional cases;

- Reject all asylum seekers who passed safe countries on their way to Britain.

Guest anorthosite
By agreeing with any number of the following policies (some of which are the law anyway):

- Deport all the two million plus who are here illegally;

- Deport all those who commit crimes and whose original nationality was not British;

- Review all recent grants of residence or citizenship to ensure they are still appropriate;

- Offer generous grants to those of foreign descent resident here who wish to leave permanently;

- Stop all new immigration except for exceptional cases;

- Reject all asylum seekers who passed safe countries on their way to Britain.

And to think people keep arguing they're about more than just immigration.

Another immigration thread.

Another long list of unworkable, impractical, knee-jerk, suggestions that will solve all of our problems overnight.

If it were so easy it would have been done years ago.

And to think people keep arguing they're about more than just immigration.

There's plenty of other stuff, some of which I agree with and others I really don't, they can be quite left leaning and inward looking. The fact is, one can argue they are really a single issue party.

These latest comments were really crass.

Guest anorthosite
There's plenty of other stuff, some of which I agree with and others I really don't, they can be quite left leaning and inward looking. The fact is, one can argue they are really a single issue party.

These latest comments were really crass.

Which ones? My ones?

4. Any criminal conviction more serious than something like a parking offence results in instant deportation and a lifetime ban from re-entering the UK.

+ 1 to this and all your other suggestions.

The public is sick and tired of the lies and cover up about mass immigration. The goodwill and openness of the British people has been taken advantage of for far too long. Time to change; big time.

Another long list of unworkable, impractical, knee-jerk, suggestions that will solve all of our problems overnight.

What evidence do you have, specifically, that any of mine and Dispossessed's suggestions are unworkable and impractical? And as for knee jerking, we're beyond that stage. The BNP's support has been gradually increasing over several years now. As far as impracticality goes, the measures I describe are very similar to the ones found in places such as Australia, Canada, the US, etc. etc. If they work there, why would they be impractical here?

If it were so easy it would have been done years ago.

It's not easy; especially not for Labour, who depend on the votes of recent immigrants to secure many of their Parliamentary seats. It is, however, necessary.

Which ones? My ones?

No, Griffins. This is an important issue and it has been nigh on impossible to hold any rational debate for 40 years or so and then he makes a comment like that which is to be honest, really rather politically inept. This is a major issue for Europe - and the countries from which these people come - but sink the boats? Liferafts or not it makes little difference.