House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Stay At Home Degree To Affect Housing Market

So how many of today's students don't get the means-tested grants they'd have to give up for no-fees? And how many of those live near a university they'd want to go to?

Sure, if many students take this up, it'll do nice things for markets in traditional student areas, and traditionally-high returns could ... um ... ease :) On the other hand, family houses near a good university could become a lot more desirable for those deemed ineligible for grants, in the same manner as the catchment area of a well-reputed school.

So how many of today's students don't get the means-tested grants they'd have to give up for no-fees? And how many of those live near a university they'd want to go to?

Sure, if many students take this up, it'll do nice things for markets in traditional student areas, and traditionally-high returns could ... um ... ease :) On the other hand, family houses near a good university could become a lot more desirable for those deemed ineligible for grants, in the same manner as the catchment area of a well-reputed school.

I wouldn't have thought so. Undergraduates could commute long distances to uni if necessary and there are no catchment areas as such, so I doubt if it would affect property prices of family homes near universities, except in the minds of sellers and EAs.

We live in Northern Ireland. My son was going to university in Scotland. Purely based on affordability he has now decided to go to Queens in Belfast so that he can live at home.

Queens was his fifth choice.

One of his friends has done the same.

We live in Northern Ireland. My son was going to university in Scotland. Purely based on affordability he has now decided to go to Queens in Belfast so that he can live at home.

Queens was his fifth choice.

One of his friends has done the same.

He should reconsider if at all possible. One of the best things about living at university is the experience of living away from home. As well as enabling you to have a great time, it prepares you to stand on your own two feet (to some extent at least).

IMO being cosseted at home (rent free, bills paid for you) during a time when you should be developing independence and figuring out how to make your own way isn't a good move.

If students decide they'd rather stay at home and not pay fees, how many landlords will struggle?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8139803.stm

This is all well and good but what about the poor sods who live in places where there are no higher educational facilities (well none worth going to).

Those in rural areas will again lose out. My parents were looking at getting broadband recently and they were basically told that they were so far from a decent exchange that it was not really an option. This is happening at a time when many in Cities are demanding ever faster 10/20MB download speeds. This makes distance learning almost impossible too.

these stay at home degrees will never have as much credibility as regular ones

it will never work

What rubbish are you talking?

I went to uni in Manchester and had many friends living at home as far away as Bolton/Wigan/Cheshire. I bet a very high % of people in this country live within an hour commute of a university. I could have lived at home and gone to Glasgow University which would have been just as good.

To the person who said:

IMO being cosseted at home (rent free, bills paid for you) during a time when you should be developing independence and figuring out how to make your own way isn't a good move.

Well live away from home for one of the three years then.

What if you dont live with your parents?

i.e. just got made redundant but have some money to live on/pay rent. Can you do a free degree then?

This is all well and good but what about the poor sods who live in places where there are no higher educational facilities (well none worth going to).

Those in rural areas will again lose out. My parents were looking at getting broadband recently and they were basically told that they were so far from a decent exchange that it was not really an option. This is happening at a time when many in Cities are demanding ever faster 10/20MB download speeds. This makes distance learning almost impossible too.

I know of 2 cases of people from proper poor backgrounds, got university degrees from teaching universities/ex polys

followed by leaving home to get an MSc from a more celebrated research university, then a PhD, and they are, respectively, senior lecturers at Leeds and Bristol universities now

true teaching universities aren't great, but it is also the individual that matters, and they can still provide effective access to good postgrad institutions for people from humble backgrounds - offering their own sponsorships for bright local kids

In the future there will be far less students and far less universities anyway.

The money will be in temporary accommodation for agricultural workers. Many of whom will be ex-students.

Caravans parked up on farms are as good as free.

Try beating that for competition.

these stay at home degrees will never have as much credibility as regular ones

it will never work

The university of London already offers this and is a good university.

I would certainly have an OU degree over a degree from some rubbish ex-poly any day of the week. Isn't the OU supposed to be in the top 15% of universities?

My husband stayed at home while he went to Uni. He commuted 90mins to his Uni (3 -4 days a week generally for a half day). He often stayed over with friends if they had a big night out planned). He did consider Uni's away from home but the cost really put him off and this is going back to 12 years before tuition fees. He left Uni with a first class degree which he believes is a lot to do with support from his family but also he left without any debt at all. He still says it was the best decision he ever mad in terms of his long term future.

Within 6 months of graduating we had bought our first home.