House Price Crash Forum

Ebay Bricks It!

Guest skullingtonjoe

HOLA441
Guest skullingtonjoe

Hi

Anyone here got an ebay account? Check your messages - it looks like ebay has come a cropper as it`s been a marketplace for knocked-off copies of just about anything. The brand owners are turning against them by the looks of it. Having been burned quite badly once on ebay and then not getting my money back (cheers Paypal!) I`m well pleased to see this whorehouse being sanitised at last.

What makes it better is that ebay is now going running to ebayers to sign a petition in a bid to continue selling brands at their site. The unwritten rule is that most of the `brand` products are in fact copies, but ebay never wanted to admit it.

At last, the prospect that the `Microsoft of online auctions` may take quite a dent. ;)

HOLA442
Hi

Anyone here got an ebay account? Check your messages - it looks like ebay has come a cropper as it`s been a marketplace for knocked-off copies of just about anything. The brand owners are turning against them by the looks of it. Having been burned quite badly once on ebay and then not getting my money back (cheers Paypal!) I`m well pleased to see this whorehouse being sanitised at last.

What makes it better is that ebay is now going running to ebayers to sign a petition in a bid to continue selling brands at their site. The unwritten rule is that most of the `brand` products are in fact copies, but ebay never wanted to admit it.

At last, the prospect that the `Microsoft of online auctions` may take quite a dent. ;)

I got that email yesterday and my immediate reaction was "f4ck 'em". Ebay are a bunch of greedy to55ers and their claims that they somehow "empower" buyers and sellers (or however they phrased it) is crap. The list of stuff ebay them selves already prohibit is stupid, you can't leave negative feedback for buyers, you have no choice but to use paypal, and both paypal and ebay fees have become extortunate of late. Seems okay to empower people but only if ebay are taking a huge rake off everyone concerned.

HOLA443
Guest skullingtonjoe
I got that email yesterday and my immediate reaction was "f4ck 'em". Ebay are a bunch of greedy to55ers and their claims that they somehow "empower" buyers and sellers (or however they phrased it) is crap. The list of stuff ebay them selves already prohibit is stupid, you can't leave negative feedback for buyers, you have no choice but to use paypal, and both paypal and ebay fees have become extortunate of late. Seems okay to empower people but only if ebay are taking a huge rake off everyone concerned.

You took the words right out of my mouth. If there`s any one business I`d like to see go under it has got be ebay:

1. They only `empower` market users if it coincides with ebay`s own interests, regardless of whether it is `right` or `wrong`.

2. Got any problems? Expect to jump through infinite hoops to get a plain answer out of anyone.

3. Related to (2) - contacting a human in ebay is damn near impossbile.

4. Paypal (related to ebay) are fu<king c*nts.

The reason ebay is bricking it is because they know that almost all of the `brand` goods on sale are fakes (albeit very good ones), from China and for all their `trust and safety` talk, they`ve made money out of wave after wave of dodgy goods. I tried running a business on ebay selling legitimate goods only to be hammered by their exorbitant fees and draconian treatment of all parties.

Fu<K ebay! ;) :angry:

HOLA444
Hi

Good, ebay and paypal treat their customers poorly.

HOLA445

eBay and PayPal are a disgrace. I closed my accounts recently.

There was a guy in Spain who bought from at least 10 people (myself included) and paid by PayPal.

About 2 weeks later he filed a 'goods didn't arrive' case against every single auction and PayPal refunded him every penny.

(I'd got proof of postage, but that meant nothing to PayPal as it wasn't proof of receipt)

I had of course withdrawn my PayPal funds, so I had a negative balance. Until I funded the account (in other words, gave the Spanish ******* his money back) they froze me out, so I could effectively do nothing else on eBay.

They'll never get another penny from me.

HOLA446
eBay and PayPal are a disgrace. I closed my accounts recently.

There was a guy in Spain who bought from at least 10 people (myself included) and paid by PayPal.

About 2 weeks later he filed a 'goods didn't arrive' case against every single auction and PayPal refunded him every penny.

(I'd got proof of postage, but that meant nothing to PayPal as it wasn't proof of receipt)

I had of course withdrawn my PayPal funds, so I had a negative balance. Until I funded the account (in other words, gave the Spanish ******* his money back) they froze me out, so I could effectively do nothing else on eBay.

They'll never get another penny from me.

Expect to get some interesting letters from 'Interima Justica'.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest anorthosite

Can someone define "brand" goods? I'm assuming Tesco's own brand is allowed and Armani won't be, but what's the limit?

HOLA449
Guest skullingtonjoe
Can someone define "brand" goods? I'm assuming Tesco's own brand is allowed and Armani won't be, but what's the limit?

Good question.

I`m guessing it would be where a brand or `rights` owner has previously given ebay a bo11ocking, but is still having dodgy goods sold onlie. I mean, some of the buyers ask for it though: there is no way on this planet you can buy legit windows xp sp2 as far as I know. Going on ebay for <£40! <_<

Anyway, let`s hope this is the beginning of the end for ebay. ;)

HOLA4410
Guest skullingtonjoe

Always useful if the bogroll runs out.

HOLA4411

I thnk it's mainly clothing brands at the moment that are banning their products, or at least trying to.

They have the power to currently tell ebay to remove anything using their brand name.

HOLA4412
Guest skullingtonjoe
I thnk it's mainly clothing brands at the moment that are banning their products, or at least trying to.

They have the power to currently tell ebay to remove anything using their brand name.

Dodgy razor blades and copies of windows were doing the rounds a while back. :rolleyes:

HOLA4413

I had a letter from these clowns after I closed an ebay account, apparently owing ebay £1.83. They sent me about 6 letters asking for payment before getting the message.

Idiots.

HOLA4414
Dodgy razor blades and copies of windows were doing the rounds a while back. :rolleyes:

I suppose just about anything can be copied; and in turn will end up on ebay!

They are filthy, robbing sharks. Paypal are even worse. Together they are one of this country's biggest facilitators of fraud.

HOLA4415
I had a letter from these clowns after I closed an ebay account, apparently owing ebay £1.83. They sent me about 6 letters asking for payment before getting the message.

Idiots.

I had a call where they insisted I 'owed' them £8. I told them they were wrong. The chap on the line said 'I bet my life on it'. I said 'Surely your life is worth more than that, £9.50 at least'. He terminated the call :(

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I've got mixed views on eBay. I've bought extensively through them and I also used to run a little part-time business selling stuff on there.

They are insufferable when you have a problem. PayPal in particular are the worst company I have ever had to deal with - if any company needs to go under it's PayPal. Impossible to speak to somebody with a brain. Gibberish emails written in pidgeon English and sent from India where they clearly have no understanding of your problem and simply cut and paste any old reply.

I used to import silver bars from the US and sell them on eBay - cheque only due to PayPals ridiculous fees. eBay now force you to offer PayPal as a payment option so I stopped selling them. Also used to sell all sorts of cables on there for which I preferred PayPal - stopped selling when they said it was ok for buyers to blackmail me with negative feedback when I couldn't reciprocate.

PayPal has always been sh1t. eBay has grown sh1t.

On the other hand, eBay is fantastic for somethings that are hard to find or you get ripped off in the shops for. ie. I bought 200 Gillette razor refills for a quarter of the price I usually get fleeced for them in Tesco. I'd hate to be forced to line the big companies pockets again.

What's really needed is a little serious competition to force eBay and PayPal to get their acts together.

HOLA4418

It's trademark and registered deign owners simply enforcing their rights. Basically, they're saying that needing their permission to use their name extends to using it in an ad for the sale of their products.

HOLA4419
The unwritten rule is that most of the `brand` products are in fact copies, but ebay never wanted to admit it.

They say that

"only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or reported as potentially counterfeit"

But they don't quote the percentage of listings that include a brand name in the body of the listing. That would be a higher figure. Nor do they quote the percentage that include a brand name in the title. That would be an even higher figure.

lies, damn lies and eBay statistics.

g

HOLA4420

I know someone who's about to sell a boat on ebay.

I didn't realise sellers get screwed - just content that I've always had a good experience buying small stuff on that site.

I know it's different for big ticket items, where the buyer picks up the stuff in person - but should the boat seller stay off ebay and go through local paper?

HOLA4421
I've got mixed views on eBay. I've bought extensively through them and I also used to run a little part-time business selling stuff on there.

They are insufferable when you have a problem. PayPal in particular are the worst company I have ever had to deal with - if any company needs to go under it's PayPal. Impossible to speak to somebody with a brain. Gibberish emails written in pidgeon English and sent from India where they clearly have no understanding of your problem and simply cut and paste any old reply.

I used to import silver bars from the US and sell them on eBay - cheque only due to PayPals ridiculous fees. eBay now force you to offer PayPal as a payment option so I stopped selling them. Also used to sell all sorts of cables on there for which I preferred PayPal - stopped selling when they said it was ok for buyers to blackmail me with negative feedback when I couldn't reciprocate.

PayPal has always been sh1t. eBay has grown sh1t.

On the other hand, eBay is fantastic for somethings that are hard to find or you get ripped off in the shops for. ie. I bought 200 Gillette razor refills for a quarter of the price I usually get fleeced for them in Tesco. I'd hate to be forced to line the big companies pockets again.

What's really needed is a little serious competition to force eBay and PayPal to get their acts together.

Those Gilette razors will be nicked, ebay is a massive fence for shoplifters. How many BNWT Ralph Lauren shirts in the wrong size/colour can any one person be given?

HOLA4422

It's not just fakes the big brands are trying to stop, it's the "grey" goods market.

So it's fine for the brands to manufacture the stuff wherever it suits them, but they will fight to ensure we get ripped off with UK/EU pricing.

But I loathe eBay and PayPal for all the reasons mentioned so won't be signing the petition.

HOLA4423

I only buy from UK individuals and companies with 100% feedback and can't be bothered with the hassle of selling stuff - and I've never had any problems with my own ebay account but Paypal is a nightmare.

I once went to buy something from a website (not Ebay) and Paypal was an option. I chose to pay using my debit card and it kept coming up that I had a Paypal account. It wouldn't let me pay by any other method. I was really angry at being forced to use them and so cancelled the order. I rang the company and they let me order over the phone and told me that they had lots of problems with Paypal.

Someone on Ebay tried to use our work email address and telephone number. I rang through to alert them to this fraudulent use of information and they didn't care. It took me ages to get to speak to someone at Ebay and when I did they hardly spoke a word of English.

I hate Paypal with a vengeance but I think I'd probably miss the Ebay site if it went. It's great for second hand furniture.

HOLA4424
Those Gilette razors will be nicked, ebay is a massive fence for shoplifters. How many BNWT Ralph Lauren shirts in the wrong size/colour can any one person be given?

Possibly, but not for sure. The guy sold not much else except for all sorts of razor blades and he'd sold hundreds of thousands over a timespan of years. Could be that he get them legally and sells them without the massive profits that high street retailers make on them, or not :)

Have to say, I'm not that bothered if they are knicked out of some warehouse somewhere. If Gillette/Tesco's didn't charge such stupid prices for them then the guy wouldn't be in business.

HOLA4425
Possibly, but not for sure. The guy sold not much else except for all sorts of razor blades and he'd sold hundreds of thousands over a timespan of years. Could be that he get them legally and sells them without the massive profits that high street retailers make on them, or not :)

Have to say, I'm not that bothered if they are knicked out of some warehouse somewhere. If Gillette/Tesco's didn't charge such stupid prices for them then the guy wouldn't be in business.

Gilette retains the bulk of the margin.

I can easily find sellers on ebay who I'm 99% sure are selling items stolen from my branches.

Not judging you BTW, obviously you buy in good faith, but imagine how p1ssed off people would be if they went on ebay and found people selling loads of stuff nicked from their house.

Archived