House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Has Brown The Power To Defer The Election Until 2013?

Guest KingCharles1st

I found this comment on the text interesting

"Not if he wants to live until 2013!" :lol:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php...o-gordons-face/

Read the above and weep. Add in this rumour at the "Dizzy thinks" blog, stir well and stand back:

Interestingly, I heard through a source back in April that backbenchers had been discussing these mechanisms as a way to delay an election by an extra few months should the economy not be back on its feet by June 2010.

Seems unlikely; I think (reading between the lines) that the decision to hold the election once parliament has expired is ultimately the monarch's. You might get away with a short delay in a dire national emergency but that apart any attempt to extend the parliament would surely result in far more electoral damage to the labour party than any benefit they could possibly hope to gain.

Well he could use it to defer the election a few weeks, but there seems little point in defering it for 3 years during which time parliament can't meet so he wouldn't actually have the power to pass any laws.

At this stage of a government's lifetime the people are fed up of them and they will go in 2010. It is nothing to do with current policies or politics, it is just "time for a change" the way it was in 1997.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php...o-gordons-face/

Read the above and weep. Add in this rumour at the "Dizzy thinks" blog, stir well and stand back:

Interestingly, I heard through a source back in April that backbenchers had been discussing these mechanisms as a way to delay an election by an extra few months should the economy not be back on its feet by June 2010.

Co-incidentally just enough time for them to pay off their second mortgages.

Well he could use it to defer the election a few weeks, but there seems little point in defering it for 3 years during which time parliament can't meet (...)

I would have thought Brown would find that idea rather attractive.

Obviously the country would require an "interim" executive.

I wonder who that would be? Perhaps the six or seven unelected cabinet ministers. That would be fair.

Possible headlines from the day after this happens.

Queen Earns Pay

Bless You Your Majesty

Mob Storms Downing Street

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the Queen.

If he did that, there would be two consequences; one immediate and one long-term. The immediate one is that what little confidence international investment markets had in the UK would immediately and totally evaporate. Bond auctions would start failing immediately, the pound would fall through the floor and there'd be economic armageddon within weeks. The long-term one is that Labour would be totally and utterly finished as a political force. All the Tories would need to argue at the next election, whenever it came, is that Labour is the party that denies you your democratic rights, etc. etc. Furthermore, the few decent and competent Labour politicians in existence would probably leave the party within days of the election postponement being announced in an attempt to save their long-term political skins, thereby making the system even more untenable.

What was the situation in 1940? I think the election was deferred but a coalition was formed with Labour taking positions in the War Cabinet.

So I think technically it is doable, in times of war and national emergency. I dare say such circumstances could be contrived. ;)

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the Queen.

"Hey Johnny Cope are ye waukin' yet"

"Cressingham turned round, The bridge was small and turning, Moray cut him down, On the Brig o' Stirling"

"And stood against hi, proud Edwards army, and sent him homewards, to think again"

:P

For practical purposes, there’s no way a government could get away with a delay of that length. For one thing, there are various laws which lapse if they are not approved annually, including the provision for income tax - a key part of the government’s defence against Frank Field’s amendment to the Finance Act yesterday. For another, that sort of delay would be contrary to a constitutional convention of over three centuries’ practice, backed up by dozens of examples.

I am aware that these provisions are true having done a little law. But clearly it would breach convention.

That said, the law goes back to a time before income tax and the assumption was parliament whilst existing would raise taxes. No Parliament = No Taxes.

That could be fun!!!!!!

Very simple, amend the relevant legislation that the life of a parliament is a maximum of seven years (it used to be this some years ago). I doubt if Cameroon would object, he has not worked out what to do with the depression. A win in 2010 is a poisoned chalice unless you are prepared to heavily cut public expenditure and hang a few bankers.

Lifted from Commons website:_

The Parliament Act 1911 established the maximum life of a Parliament as five years.

Parliaments have twice been extended beyond five years, during the two world wars. The 1911

Parliament was extended to eight years by the Parliament and Registration Act 1916, and the

Parliament and Local Elections Acts 1916 and 1918. The 1935 Parliament was extended to

ten years by the Prolongation of Parliament Acts 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943 and 1944.

Edited by roger196

Guest UK Debt Slave
I found this comment on the text interesting

"Not if he wants to live until 2013!" :lol:

His only raison d'etre now is to get the Lisbon Treaty ratified by the EU before an election next summer.

I don't think he would seriously try to hang on any longer. Democracy is just a smokescreen anyway. In reality, they work for the same unaccountable power elite that lurks in the background.

I'm amazed people still believe any differently. When there was that big bust up involving Osboprne, Mandelson and Nat Rothschild wining and dining in Corfu with Russian oligarchs, that just summed up for me what a filthy, stinking treasonous bunch of scumfekks they really all are.

They don't give a fekk about the people of this country. We don't have choices. We have OWNERS. They own us. They own everything. They own all all the imporatnt land. they own the Houses of Parliament. They own the House of Lords. They control what you read in newspapers and watch on TV. They control what you eat and drink. They control what the state teaches your kids at school. They OWN YOU. Get used to it cos nothing will ever change.

They don't give a fekk about the people of this country. We don't have choices. We have OWNERS. They own us. They own everything. They own all all the imporatnt land. they own the Houses of Parliament. They own the House of Lords. They control what you read in newspapers and watch on TV. They control what you eat and drink. They control what the state teaches your kids at school. They OWN YOU. Get used to it cos nothing will ever change.

Yes but at the end of the day, there are more of us, than there is of them, and I suspect even "unaccountable power elites" fear the mob.

Guest anorthosite

Didn't we have this discussion about George Bush and people here swore blind he'd cancel the election?

Then we had the discussion on how Obama would be assassinated before he took power...

Guest UK Debt Slave
Yes but at the end of the day, there are more of us, than there is of them, and I suspect even "unaccountable power elites" fear the mob.

What mob?

Jaysus

When you look at the heist that is going on right now, the biggest theft of wealth from the people in human history, you'd think the so called 'mob' would lift their finger off the TV remote button.

They've had a Union Jack wrapped around a flgpole and they've been jamming up our backsides for decades. The bovine masses will just carry on taking it up the chocolate starfish cos it's easier to swallow their BS and watch Corrie than to even THINK.........let alone ACT.

So what are you gonna do about it. Are you assembling Molotov cocktails in yer garden shed yet?

Nope.......Didn't think so.... ;)

What was the situation in 1940? I think the election was deferred but a coalition was formed with Labour taking positions in the War Cabinet.

So I think technically it is doable, in times of war and national emergency. I dare say such circumstances could be contrived. ;)

...and the and "national emergency" being Brown would loose

Edited by jp1

What mob?

Not that it's going to happen... but if it did, I think you'd be very surprised at the number, types and ages of people who'd be up in London demonstrating. Forget the usual rent-a-mob, this would be a far more scary bunch of people. They'd be very, very ordinary.

Didn't we have this discussion about George Bush and people here swore blind he'd cancel the election?

Then we had the discussion on how Obama would be assassinated before he took power...

Don't forget swine flu. ;)

The Civil Contingencies Act covers additional powers during National Emergencies.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004/ukpga_20040036_en_1

The bankers know we are getting fed up with the present government, so they will replace them with the other set of puppets as soon as they can. They do not want civil unrest.

This will make everyone think everything is fine and democratic and that things have changed, and ensure the looting can start again.

Guest UK Debt Slave
The bankers know we are getting fed up with the present government, so they will replace them with the other set of puppets as soon as they can. They do not want civil unrest.

This will make everyone think everything is fine and democratic and that things have changed, and ensure the looting can start again.

Basically agree but I think we are reaching the end of the Keynesian economic cul-de-sac and thus they are more likely to give up the pretence that we live in a democracy. The theft is becoming so brazen and absolute that our so-called democracy cannot survive. But I still don't think we'll see mass civil unrest. Look at what the Zimbabweans put up with and recent events in Iran

And before you think otherwise, there's aboslutely no reason to suppose the state wont behave in exactly the same manner if it feels its survival is threatened. They will kill and maim people to hold on to their power, be under no illusion about it.

What mob?

Jaysus

When you look at the heist that is going on right now, the biggest theft of wealth from the people in human history, you'd think the so called 'mob' would lift their finger off the TV remote button.

To go all Richard Dawkins for a minute, genetically all we need to do is survive and reproduce. Historically only when the food runs out do the riots kick off.

People won't care if any group takes 90% of their productive output, so long as they can still buy food and raise children with the other 10%. Their genes simply don't care.

Chances are if you can afford a TV with a remote, you have enough food, therefore no mob.