House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tv Licence Prosecutions

.....solely on the evidence provided by a "detector" van?

Actually, I may have asked this before but I can't find it.

No, BECAUSE THEY DON'T EXIST!

That's what I kind of figured which is why I used ""'s around the word detector.

So, a different question. Has there ever been a successful prosecution based on evidence solely collected by the inspectors. I mean, as opposed to where the person prosecuted has fessed up under interrogation/intimidation?

When I was at university I spent three years living in a student house that had 4 or 5 televisions (one in the living room, and one in each of the students' bedrooms) - and there wasn't one licence between us.

We got letters periodically from the licencing people, which went in the bin ignored. Some bloke in a van came round a few times asking if we had a television, and on each occasion we said 'no' without letting him set foot in the house.

I don't know what it's like now, but it used to be easy to get away without a licence.

That's what I kind of figured which is why I used ""'s around the word detector.

So, a different question. Has there ever been a successful prosecution based on evidence solely collected by the inspectors. I mean, as opposed to where the person prosecuted has fessed up under interrogation/intimidation?

Family member got caught by two "enforcement officers" looking through his front window and seeing his TV. Open and shut case you would think, but he just bought a licence the next day and they never prosecuted. Don't think they want the hassle of costs and court time, just after your cash.

However, friend of mine in her mid thirties has had full Sky tv package for years and has NEVER had a licence! Think it's because she's in a flat though. Devilishly difficult to prove if your in a flat I would imagine.....

Virtually all prosecutions come from people making a statement saying that they have a TV. If you don't make the statement your OK, better still, tell them to piss off the moment you answer the door.

The only people who actually get successfully prosecuted are the ones daft enough to incriminate themselves.

Its is the duty of all right minded people to reject the telly poll tax, it funds the Labour media wing (the BBC) and is totally unjustified.

The only people who actually get successfully prosecuted are the ones daft enough to incriminate themselves.

Yep, I never had one for the last 10 years I lived in the UK.

letter -> straight in bin

man at door -> tell him to f**k off, slam the door in his face

Preferably while holding onto his tie.

I don't have a TV so no problems showing the guy my living room.

I told him that there was no record of him having a shotgun license and that I would be visiting to check that he didn't have a shotgun.

The way it's been going, that will hold them off for about 5 years. I think in future I will charge an admission fee, say 2 hours of minimum wage. No pay, no see, same as beeb Bee Cee.

Better still....get a spyhole.....and don't answer the door to strangers

I don't have a TV so no problems showing the guy my living room.

I told him that there was no record of him having a shotgun license and that I would be visiting to check that he didn't have a shotgun.

The way it's been going, that will hold them off for about 5 years. I think in future I will charge an admission fee, say 2 hours of minimum wage. No pay, no see, same as beeb Bee Cee.

There should be an unsubscribe option for the bbc

A friend refuses to pay the license fee, stating BBC does not cater to his taste. He never had a problem for the past 20 years.

Do you have to have a licence if you just have a P.C. ?

Isnt the reason why Brown wants to make broadband compulsory all around the UK? In that way he can charge BBC license fee to everyone who watches streaminh TV via Zatoo or via iplayer. The man is serious threat to everything that is good and great.

Kingbingo is correct, there is no such thing as a detector van, a friend of mine used to work for the licencing people and told me it was all a myth.

21 yrs of working for the ministry of justice, I never knew anyone get jailed for not having a licence although one friend of mine did get a fine.

The only civil cases I knew of non-payment of poll/council tax that ever did get a custodial sentence were those publicly making a stand. There is no room in prisons for convicted criminals, and certainly no room for any licence/tax evaders.

I've asked the same question before, and nobody has ever been able to point to an example. I have to assume the answer is that they have not.

Guest eight
Better still....get a spyhole.....and don't answer the door to strangers

Why do people actually open their doors to anybody? OK if someone I know is coming round, I let them in. But if I'm not expecting anybody I never answer the door. Whoever it is I can guarantee they're not there for my benefit.

I reckon about 20 people a week knock on my door and they're all trying to flog me something I don't want. I just ignore it.

eight

Do you have to have a licence if you just have a P.C. ?

No. You only need to a TV licence if you want to watch the live streams for example on BBC or ITV. You don't need a licence to watch the on-demand streams after the program has been broadcast.

I read a statistic once that in the prison population, if you look at mothers who end up in chokey it's mainly for non-payment of the BBC tax. It's not the non-payment of the license that lands people in the big house though - it's not paying the fine.

This was a while ago, and I read the info in a book during the pre-wikipedia epoch.

I have strong issues against the Tv licence, and it enrages me when people say " you have to pay it". and they allways bang on about how one day they will come and fine me 1000 pounds.

They will never fine me a thousand pounds, they will never set one foot in my property, unless they turn up with a police officer, but i happen to know that the police in Cardiff tell the Tv licencing agents to piss off when they get asked to acompany them to a property, they have much more worthwhile things to be doing, like catching people driving at 3mph over the speed limit.

Ive not had a licence since i moved out of home in 1999, even if they fined me the full amount now i would still be better off than if i had been paying the 140 pound a year or whatever it is these days.

Guest Barebear
No. You only need to a TV licence if you want to watch the live streams for example on BBC or ITV. You don't need a licence to watch the on-demand streams after the program has been broadcast.

I thought it was any apparatus that was capable of receiving a TV signal, then you had to have a licence.

Guest Barebear
I have strong issues against the Tv licence, and it enrages me when people say " you have to pay it". and they allways bang on about how one day they will come and fine me 1000 pounds.

They will never fine me a thousand pounds, they will never set one foot in my property, unless they turn up with a police officer, but i happen to know that the police in Cardiff tell the Tv licencing agents to piss off when they get asked to acompany them to a property, they have much more worthwhile things to be doing, like catching people driving at 3mph over the speed limit.

Ive not had a licence since i moved out of home in 1999, even if they fined me the full amount now i would still be better off than if i had been paying the 140 pound a year or whatever it is these days.

Ive been caught twice, both times I just ran out of the door shouting my wife's been run over, can't stop.They dont come back.

They're commision agents given a list of property's without a licence, they can't be doing with mucking around. In a nights knocking if they find a couple of places that subsequently get a licence, I guess they earn pretty well.

I read a statistic once that in the prison population, if you look at mothers who end up in chokey it's mainly for non-payment of the BBC tax. It's not the non-payment of the license that lands people in the big house though - it's not paying the fine.

This was a while ago, and I read the info in a book during the pre-wikipedia epoch.

The courts are very unlikely to put children in to care and mothers in to jail for non payment, most custodial sentences ( male and female) are drug related, dealing, violence and robbery.

Those convicted of non payment are usually due to criminally related fines.

I thought it was any apparatus that was capable of receiving a TV signal, then you had to have a licence.

Only if it is "installed" to receive such a signal.

Computers generally don't receive TV signals unless they have a TV card or a USB TV adapter, but there is a separate provision that if you watch live broadcast streams over the internet, then you need a licence for that.