House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

£6m Drive To Cut Teen Pregnancies Sees Them Double

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ees-DOUBLE.html

A multi-million pound initiative to reduce teenage pregnancies more than doubled the number of girls conceiving.

The Government-backed scheme tried to persuade teenage girls not to get pregnant by handing out condoms and teaching them about sex.

But research funded by the Department of Health shows that young women who attended the programme, at a cost of £2,500 each, were 'significantly' more likely to become pregnant than those on other youth programmes who were not given contraception and sex advice.

A total of 16 per cent of those on the Young People's Development Programme conceived compared with just 6 per cent in other programmes.

Experts said the scheme failed because it introduced girls 'at risk' of becoming pregnant to promiscuous girls they might not otherwise have met.

Because of peer pressure, the more timid teenagers were more likely to have sex and become pregnant.

The £5.9million YPDP programme was also designed to slash cannabis use and drunkenness among teenagers, but made no difference whatsoever.

Last night ministers pledged to drop the scheme after admitting it had failed. Around 40,000 teenage girls become pregnant every year in the UK, the highest level in western Europe.

The failed YPDP, launched in 2004, was based on a similar scheme in New York claimed to have significantly reduced teenage pregnancies.

However, attempts to replicate the work elsewhere in the U.S. did not lead to a fall in teenage pregnancies, casting doubt on the project as a whole.

In England, 2,371 teenagers took part in the programme over three years. They were nominated by social workers, teachers or NHS staff who thought they were at risk of school exclusion, drug abuse and pregnancy.

The study, published online by the British Medical Journal, was carried out by Meg Wiggins, from the Institute of Education at the University of London and Chris Bonell, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

They were commissioned by the Department of Health to evaluate the programme independently.

They concluded that 'at best, the programme had no impact - and at worst it had a negative impact'.

Excellent use of public money. And how many of these girls now don't work and live on benefits?

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/339/jul07_2/b2534

The Mail have reported this fairly accurately I think. I note that in discussing the outcomes the authors are positively squirming to try and explain this away, but the numbers are compelling.

It seems obvious to me that bad behaviour is a "meme" and is transmitted like a virus. Put a bunch of so called 'vulnerable' people together and its bound to spread.

Excellent use of public money. And how many of these girls now don't work and live on benefits?

And how many of them and their illegitimate children are going to mindlessly vote labour for the rest of their lives?. £6mil well spent, it's done exactly what it was actually intended to do.

There is only one answer to this problem, which the powers that be steadfastly refuse to acknowledge. That is, to stop their benefits. Most of these girls are simply too lazy to work. The rewards for having babies are just too tempting for them to ignore. Given their own house, money(which should be paid to them in voucher form) and being able to watch Jeremy every day.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
There is only one answer to this problem, which the powers that be steadfastly refuse to acknowledge. That is, to stop their benefits. Most of these girls are simply too lazy to work. The rewards for having babies are just too tempting for them to ignore. Given their own house, money(which should be paid to them in voucher form) and being able to watch Jeremy every day.

Bring back female circumcision!

Much better value for the taxpayer.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I misread the title, I thought the government were going to pay me 6m not to knock up a teenager, I was tempted.

Teenagers are running riot in this country. The parents and teachers cannot discipline them for fear of being branded child abusers. They are given an elevated sense of privelage by rewarding them for non-achievement and we live in a society obsessed with youth and the have-it-all culture.

Is it any wonder teen pregnancies are on the rise. After all, sh@gging is fun and cool and they dont take responsibility for their actions as they have never had to.

Teenagers are running riot in this country. The parents and teachers cannot discipline them for fear of being branded child abusers. They are given an elevated sense of privelage by rewarding them for non-achievement and we live in a society obsessed with youth and the have-it-all culture.

Is it any wonder teen pregnancies are on the rise. After all, sh@gging is fun and cool and they dont take responsibility for their actions as they have never had to.

Everything is going according to NuLabs plan. You see you really need NuLab to keep these youngsters under control.

Teenagers are running riot in this country. The parents and teachers cannot discipline them for fear of being branded child abusers.

Almost right. The parents don't want to discipline them because they want to be little Johnny's best friend, not his parent, and the teachers daren't tell little Johnny off for fear of incurring the wrath of little Johnny's best friends, his mum and dad.

Almost right. The parents don't want to discipline them because they want to be little Johnny's best friend, not his parent, and the teachers daren't tell little Johnny off for fear of incurring the wrath of little Johnny's best friends, his mum and dad.

We really need a war to clear the air.

Bring back female circumcision!

Much better value for the taxpayer.

+1 , but you are far too lenient, didn't even mention castration.

Teenagers should be hunted down by mobs weilding torches and pitchforks. When caught they should be ritually abused and humiliated before suffering some painful and lingering death. The only way for right-thinking people to restore good old fashioned values and discipline is to destroy them all.

Teenagers should be hunted down by mobs weilding torches and pitchforks. When caught they should be ritually abused and humiliated before suffering some painful and lingering death. The only way for right-thinking people to restore good old fashioned values and discipline is to destroy them all.

It's a little harsh, but you're moving in the right direction.

I mean, it's not as if these Satanspawn are ever going to become 'responsible homeowners' doing their duty, shouldering the historical debt burden of an elaborate pyramid scam.

Burn them!

I mean, it's not as if these Satanspawn are ever going to become 'responsible homeowners' doing their duty, shouldering the historical debt burden of an elaborate pyramid scam.

Burn them!

A coal substitute to produce electricity. Short term thinking, but I like it.

Burn them!

Sage words indeed.

On the other hand, we don't want to be too wasteful. Perhaps keep a few around for spare body parts when right thinking homeowners need an upgrade for a worn out part? Its important that the responsible elements of society flourish, and only proper that teenagers are farmed to that end. These teenage pregnancies are clearly forward thinking youngsters who should be congratulated for anticipating this role. Perhaps state support is appropriate after all.

Sage words indeed.

On the other hand, we don't want to be too wasteful. Perhaps keep a few around for spare body parts when right thinking homeowners need an upgrade for a worn out part? Its important that the responsible elements of society flourish, and only proper that teenagers are farmed to that end. These teenage pregnancies are clearly forward thinking youngsters who should be congratulated for anticipating this role. Perhaps state support is appropriate after all.

Maybe you could trade in a small organ for a larger one.

Sage words indeed.

I say we kill all those irresponsible job-workers who don't realise the damage they're doing to the planet by needlessly consuming fossil fuels to get to work and demanding better living standards than those quietly enjoying mass media and walking to the nearest shop dressed in nothing more than short skirts and scrunchies to support the shareholders of the ailing tobacco industry.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I say we kill all those irresponsible job-workers who don't realise the damage they're doing to the planet by needlessly consuming fossil fuels to get to work and demanding better living standards than those quietly enjoying mass media and walking to the nearest shop dressed in nothing more than short skirts and scrunchies to support the shareholders of the ailing tobacco industry.

I'm finding parts of this which I like but conflict with my prejudices. I'm confused.

I don't think teenagers responsible enough for condoms (or the pill), and this study seems to prove it. They should have fitted semi permanent (ie lasts 5 years) hormonal contraception eg mirena coil or implants. Alternatively injections 4 times a year could have been done in school.

Easily reversable if circumstances change but don't have to remember to do anything.

I'm finding parts of this which I like but conflict with my prejudices. I'm confused.

Far better to stick with your prejudices, can't possibly give up on them at this late stage, the shock to the edifice of your carefully constructed personality might be too much to bear.

I think we should have modern day work houses for all these single mothers. Proper places where these women can work and live while the childeren are in nurserys or schools. That way they can pay there own costs and earn a small wage aswell.

Another thing that pi55es me off is divorcees. In the village where I live there's 3 women divorcees with 2 kids each. The fathers arent worth a shit so they're all claiming benefit. About £700 each in renting nice cottages is paid out by the government. WHY ? its not my bloody fault their marriages broke down. Sort your on shit out!

All the more reason for a modern day work house I think?

I think we should have modern day work houses for all these single mothers. Proper places where these women can work and live while the childeren are in nurserys or schools. That way they can pay there own costs and earn a small wage aswell.

Another thing that pi55es me off is divorcees. In the village where I live there's 3 women divorcees with 2 kids each. The fathers arent worth a shit so they're all claiming benefit. About £700 each in renting nice cottages is paid out by the government. WHY ? its not my bloody fault their marriages broke down. Sort your on shit out!

All the more reason for a modern day work house I think?

Just make them into sausages.