House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yellerkat

Best Router?

My Linksys fried in last week's heat.

Must buy soon before the backup does likewise.

What's your choice?

(No I WON'T be getting a Belkin.)

Linksys, Netgear are fine. Installed over 50 with very few problems. What does for them is power surges, if you can stick them on a pike protected power strip or a UPS so much the better. Oh yes, and get some air-con ;-)

I've had a netgear running in my flat for the last four years (last letter is g. so i'm sure things have moved on).

The routers worked perfectly the only problem i've had is i bough a netgear wireless adapter for my pc at the same time and when i moved from xp to vista there where no drivers and they refused to provide them.

I then spent £10 on a generic usb adapter.

Apart from that it's been grand.

(oh work also uses netgear)

I think I know why you don't want a Belkin! My first Belkin wireless router expired a few months after the warranty expired. I then bought another Belkin 2nd hand (only £10). I found this one would drop the wireless connection once or twice per day - probably why the other guy sold it!

I then bought a Zyxel Prestige and that been running trouble-free for over a year (it's still working fine). I've used Linksys, Netgear and Draytek ones at work (testing ADSL services) and not had any bother with these either.

My Linksys fried in last week's heat.

Must buy soon before the backup does likewise.

What's your choice?

(No I WON'T be getting a Belkin.)

Do you always leave it on?

Linksys, Netgear are fine. Installed over 50 with very few problems. What does for them is power surges, if you can stick them on a pike protected power strip or a UPS so much the better. Oh yes, and get some air-con ;-)

Actually, it wasn't on the spike protected strip... :ph34r:

Do you always leave it on?

Yes... :unsure:

Gone for THIS NETGEAR router. Pick it up while passing (rapidly) through Portsmouth tomorrow.

(Cue cries of "No, No, we meant any Netgear but that one!")

Thanks all...

Actually, it wasn't on the spike protected strip... :ph34r:

Yes... :unsure:

Gone for THIS NETGEAR router. Pick it up while passing (rapidly) through Portsmouth tomorrow.

(Cue cries of "No, No, we meant any Netgear but that one!")

Thanks all...

Turn off when not in use :rolleyes:

Yep Linksys and Netgear are both good. Have had them both. Never heard of a problem leaving routers on though, that's what most people do.

Yep Linksys and Netgear are both good. Have had them both. Never heard of a problem leaving routers on though, that's what most people do.

What is the point unless you keep your PC on?

Netgear get the thumbs up from me. My current Netgear router has hardly been turned off in the last seven years and is still going strong.

I had a belkin working for my Dad that has now gone 7 yrs without a hiccup - except it was crap until I updated the firmware

I have had netgear and linksys - boith went wrong.

I now have bottom of the range Amazon.co.uk maxvalue router - trouble free for 6 months now

my own experience suggests you can get lucky or unlucky irrespective of brand, so may as well buy a cheapie...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Router-F...206&sr=8-23

but I am willing to be corrected

Well the blurb on the soon-to-be new router says:

Green Networking

Convenient on/off switch helps save energy when not in use

Energy Star-compliant efficient power supply

Packaging manufactured with at least 80% recycled materials

Convenient on/off switch! What will they think of next! :lol:

Not much use if you want it for a laptop, but I got powerline broadband when I moved my PC out of range of our router. I was going to get a router strong enough to reach it but in a fit of paranoia decided i didn't want to bathe the entire house in microwaves.

I'd recommend powerline broadband to anyone.

Well the blurb on the soon-to-be new router says:

Convenient on/off switch! What will they think of next! :lol:

They should have mechanical switches that turn the router off completely when not in use for >30mins. Requiring you to turn it back on. That would use zero power, or perhaps good electrical switches using sub 0.1 watts.

I knew my cable router uses lots of power when not in use because it is still quite hot to the touch. I assume its using some 15 watts in idle mode. That equals about £15 electric per year because of poor design. I think I have had it 7-8 years so it has burnt an excess £110 in that time.

There really should be a law showing peak and idle power rating so we could choose energy efficient products. Would cut waste and more importantly would sae a considerable amount of cash during the lifetime of the product.

Not much use if you want it for a laptop, but I got powerline broadband when I moved my PC out of range of our router. I was going to get a router strong enough to reach it but in a fit of paranoia decided i didn't want to bathe the entire house in microwaves.

I'd recommend powerline broadband to anyone.

Microwaves are non ionising radiation. No matter how strong it is you won’t get cancer or anything like that. However you could cook if it is too strong.

Some guy once muted having microwaves as central heating. Instead of radiators heating your whole house you have a microwave emitting about 100 watts heating you.

Hahah

A bit of a crazy idea but it should work. Would sae a considerable amount of power, your taking about your central heating bill going down 90%.

Sounds scary but it wouldn’t be too different from sunlight heating your skin.

Microwaves are non ionising radiation. No matter how strong it is you won’t get cancer or anything like that. However you could cook if it is too strong.

I'm not sure we know EVERYTHING about the health effects of EM radiation, so why take an unnecessary risk, no matter how small?

I'm not sure we know EVERYTHING about the health effects of EM radiation, so why take an unnecessary risk, no matter how small?

EM theory is very very well understood.

It isn’t a make up science like global warming. It is mathematically proven and many tests are available to back up the math for the non believers.

In no way can microwaves ionise human tissue. The photons are just to low in energy.

That doesn’t mean they are not dangerous. Sunlight is dangerous if at too high a concentration. You can literally burn someone to a crisp if you concentrate sunlight enough.

So microwaves can be dangerous but not in the way most people think.

But I know where you’re coming from; I too wouldn’t choose microwaves over fixed wire where possible. My brain tells me there is no danger but superstition says “why take the riskâ€. It’s the same reason I look around when walking in the woody hills, I know there are no animals bigger than a badger but human instincts just make you look out for danger.

Some guy once muted having microwaves as central heating. Instead of radiators heating your whole house you have a microwave emitting about 100 watts heating you.

Hahah

Sounds scary but it wouldn’t be too different from sunlight heating your skin.

Wouldn't it be like cooking very slowly?

But I know where you’re coming from; I too wouldn’t choose microwaves over fixed wire where possible. My brain tells me there is no danger but superstition says “why take the riskâ€. It’s the same reason I look around when walking in the woody hills, I know there are no animals bigger than a badger but human instincts just make you look out for danger.

I don't think it's superstitious, just rational.

Sensitivity to EM radiation is still a debated (although somewhat contraversial) subject, with evidence that there maybe adverse health effects. With the jury still out, why take the chance?

What is the point unless you keep your PC on?

I agree. In fact, I switch off all appliances at the wall at night (no standbys). But most people are lazy and never switch the router and/or modem off.

Yes I agree on EM sensitivity. Some people have it really bad. I think Sweden officially recognises it as a health problem. I prefer fixed wire for security anyway. Also, wireless seems to be variable - in 2 places I've lived it does not give consistent max speed compared to the cable.