House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnybegood

Another Tax Increase

PASSPORTS TO INCREASE 7%

Last year Mr Darling was calling for restraint on pay increases to keep inflation under control, then they go ahead with a whopping 7% increase on passport fees.

From September adult passports will be costing £77.50

Full article here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...ard-scheme.html

Fees for British passports will rise across the board from September, ministers announced today.

Charges for a standard 10-year adult passport will increase by 7.6 per cent from £72 to £77.50.

The price of other types of passport will also rise, with the most costly being the adult's "Premium" guaranteed same-day service, which goes up £15.50 to £129.50 for a standard passport.

The fast-track adult passport - which is processed in a week - will cost £112.50, also up £15.50.

A standard child's passport will cost £49, up £3.

Name the last time anything provided by the state got cheaper.

The gimmicks, "initiatives" and soundbites since 1997 ;)

Regards,

crude.

Edited by crudeFool

Museum entrance fees

He's not lying. I must have saved a few hundred quid over the last ten or so years.

Ooooh! *clutches the duvet in excitement*

Our passport fees are already absurd, I think the most expensive in the world.

They are even more expensive if you have to get one via the FCO. Rip off.

Museum entrance fees

I heard on the radio that they might have to re-introduce these because the gvmt is cutting its subsidy. :(

Crikey, the last time I renewed my passport it was £33 and it still has a few years to run!

There is no excuse for this.

Museum entrance fees

Museums aren't free. Just because some of their funding has been moved from entrance fees to general taxation does not mean that the cost of providing them has been reduced.

Similarly with the National Identity Register. If some people are entered on it for free, others will pay more either in compulsory charges for passports and ID cards, or through general taxation.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

Crikey, the last time I renewed my passport it was £33 and it still has a few years to run!

There is no excuse for this.

Various excuses have been made each time this tax has been put up. The excuse given in this article is that demand has fallen due to fewer people going on holiday. The real reason for the dramtic rise in passport tax over recent years is to cover the cost of introducing the National Identity Register.

Guest anorthosite
Name the last time anything provided by the state got cheaper.

Weapons (bulk discount since 2001)

I don't understand this increase. If the revenue earned is less then shouldn't the incentive be to reduce the cost so that more people will apply.

My idea would be to issue a passport to every British national at cost and then reduce the operation of the passport agency.