House Price Crash Forum
TheEmperorHasNoClothes

How You Going To Spend Today's £82?

i got my weekly shop today (includes a bottle of Aberlour on offer) for just over half that. tomorrow's RenterMarks will go towards the house i've not bought

Spend the money you are saving by renting. It's the new MEW. I call it SCSOA (scussowa).

"Spending Cash Saved on Overpriced Asset "

Why are you using 1 year's worth of data rather than 1 month or one decade?

I'm going to save up and buy a coupla kilos of cocaine (no idea actually how much this would cost), compress it into the form of a model house, snort it all and die

either that or put the spare into long term investments

a little undecided

I defy anyone to spend money in a shop or a holiday - no wonder we are in a recession.

At the weekend I went shopping for an 18th Birthday present for a label obsesses step daughter. (Please dont judge me on this - its what she wants) Had a look at some designer handbags. You wouldnt believe how tatty they are when brand new.

First store - Selfridges. £140 for a bag with scratches on the front. Bloke goes into stores to get one that hasnt been on display. 'This ones worse so which one do you want?'

2nd store - If you want to take the one from display we will knock £20 off for the minor damage!

3rd store - Yeah this one isnt perfect but......if you do manage to get one that isnt damaged, it will quickly get damaged when its being used!!!!!!!!

For some reason I found myself having to explain why i didnt want to buy something that was shoddy goods, as if I was the one who should be embarrassed!!!! And the last one didnt blink whilst essentially telling me they sold massively overpriced cr@p

Today

Went to mobile phone shop. Need a temporary phone. Have broken mine beyond repair, gonna wait for a specific new model to come out before getting the one I want; so wanted a cheapo PAYT. Found one for £10!!! The cheapest phone they had was by far the nicest - probably the best looking phone on their PAYT display. But........................

We havent got the one you want sir. But we do have this one. It looks cheaper and nastier than the one you asked for and its only £35!!!!!!

Yesterday

Booking Holiday to Bali. Messed about with website. Couldnt book direct, had to ring up and quote web-generated reference number.

Web price indicates just over £1550. Call centre bod immediately tells me the price is £2300!!!!!! I started to ask why there was such a massive difference in price but I was cut short. He interrupted me to say that the website says ring to confirm!!!! A bout of tourrettes later i ended the call and phoned around.

Eventually decided to book flights and hotel separately. Booked flights. Then was told confirmation would be e-mailed in next couple of hours. 24 hours later I phoned to find out about e-mail conf. 'Oh we meant to ring you, we've booked your flights, but they are for different days!!!!!!!!!!'

Am i alone in finding myself in confrontation with 'sales prevention advisers' everytime i want to buy something??

Edited by Nick Dastardly

I defy anyone to spend money in a shop or a holiday - no wonder we are in a recession.

At the weekend I went shopping for an 18th Birthday present for a label obsesses step daughter. (Please dont judge me on this - its what she wants) Had a look at some designer handbags. You wouldnt believe how tatty they are when brand new.

First store - Selfridges. �140 for a bag with scratches on the front. Bloke goes into stores to get one that hasnt been on display. 'This ones worse so which one do you want?'

2nd store - If you want to take the one from display we will knock �20 off for the minor damage!

3rd store - Yeah this one isnt perfect but......if you do manage to get one that isnt damaged, it will quickly get damaged when its being used!!!!!!!!

For some reason I found myself having to explain why i didnt want to buy something that was shoddy goods, as if I was the one who should be embarrassed!!!! And the last one didnt blink whilst essentially telling me they sold massively overpriced cr@p

Today

Went to mobile phone shop. Need a temporary phone. Have broken mine beyond repair, gonna wait for a specific new model to come out before getting the one I want; so wanted a cheapo PAYT. Found one for �10!!! The cheapest phone they had was by far the nicest - probably the best looking phone on their PAYT display. But........................

We havent got the one you want sir. But we do have this one. It looks cheaper and nastier than the one you asked for and its only �35!!!!!!

Yesterday

Booking Holiday to Bali. Messed about with website. Couldnt book direct, had to ring up and quote web-generated reference number.

Web price indicates just over �1550. Call centre bod immediately tells me the price is �2300!!!!!! I started to ask why there was such a massive difference in price but I was cut short. He interrupted me to say that the website says ring to confirm!!!! A bout of tourrettes later i ended the call and phoned around.

Eventually decided to book flights and hotel separately. Booked flights. Then was told confirmation would be e-mailed in next couple of hours. 24 hours later I phoned to find out about e-mail conf. 'Oh we meant to ring you, we've booked your flights, but they are for different days!!!!!!!!!!'

Am i alone in finding myself in confrontation with 'sales prevention advisers' everytime i want to buy something??

I find working practices baffling in business, a lot of shoddy sales staff out there. Printers are always complaining about being on their **** but when you give them a big quote they try and cut corners or even complain!

First store - Selfridges. �140 for a bag with scratches on the front. Bloke goes into stores to get one that hasnt been on display. 'This ones worse so which one do you want?'

2nd store - If you want to take the one from display we will knock �20 off for the minor damage!

Today

Went to mobile phone shop. Need a temporary phone. Have broken mine beyond repair, gonna wait for a specific new model to come out before getting the one I want; so wanted a cheapo PAYT. Found one for �10!!! The cheapest phone they had was by far the nicest - probably the best looking phone on their PAYT display. But........................

We havent got the one you want sir. But we do have this one. It looks cheaper and nastier than the one you asked for and its only �35!!!!!!

Yesterday

Web price indicates just over �1550. Call centre bod immediately tells me the price is �2300!!!!!! I started to ask why there was such a massive difference in price but I was cut short. He interrupted me to say that the website says ring to confirm!!!! A bout of tourrettes later i ended the call and phoned around.

Take a look at Mary Portas' golden rules of shopping. Even though shes made her living out of flogging overpriced tat, she does have a certain old school thrift attitude to her approach. Basically if you're not happy with the service in anyway, just drop everything and walk straight out. There will always be another shop selling what you want.

(also very satisfying to simply drop goods on the floor and walk out when some snotty little salesman is pissing you off)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Portas

I'm not sure: I have to balance this 82 quid 'gain' on what I might buy next vs the 82 quid 'loss' on what I currently own. So, as I come out of it no better or worse off, I think I'll just spend in on nothing.

Sorry Gordon. (Not).