House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Housing Stats

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8137408.stm

According to the study, 64% of people who arrived in the UK within the last five years live in private rented accommodation.

Poorer areas

Just 11% of new arrivals get help with housing - almost all of them asylum seekers.

But after five years, when many immigrants are able to get residency and become entitled to government help, one in six live in social housing - exactly the same proportion as those who were born in Britain.

1 in 6 native britons are in social housing.

How many asylum seekers a year do we have?

Is social housing just stuff built/owned/managed by councils or HAs?

Does it even include the masses of people in private rented on Housing benefit?

I beleive social housing is the former. The latter is private renting. The usual socio-demographic categorisation would be by the type of housing, not by who pays for it.

As an aside 69% of households in the UK were in receipt of one from of benefit or another in 2005/6. 14% were in receipt of housing benefit, a lower proportion than for tax credits; council tax benefit; retirement pension; incapacity benefits; or child benefit. The last three are the biggest, 30%, 31% and 28% respectively.

(Source: ONS Regional trends No 40, 2008. ISSN 0261-1783 -page 160)

On the assumption that there is little overlap between pensioners and child benefit you've already found that 61% of all households are receiving benefits.

I beleive social housing is the former. The latter is private renting. The usual socio-demographic categorisation would be by the type of housing, not by who pays for it.

As an aside 69% of households in the UK were in receipt of one from of benefit or another in 2005/6. 14% were in receipt of housing benefit, a lower proportion than for tax credits; council tax benefit; retirement pension; incapacity benefits; or child benefit. The last three are the biggest, 30%, 31% and 28% respectively.

On the assumption that there is little overlap between pensioners and child benefit you've already found that 61% of all households are receiving benefits.

I don't see how you can class tax credits as true benefits. It just a lower tax band really.

Since the two are unconnected in any way it's impossible to answer your riddle.

I don't see how you can class tax credits as true benefits. It just a lower tax band really.

With the added benefit of having 2 sets of public sector staff the first to the taking and the second to return some of the money taken by the first.

Tax credits are a distorting administrative nightmare. Fine for benefits 'players' but £10bn unclaimed by entitled people scared off by the horror stories of overpayments being clawed back. Cheaper and fairer to raise personal allowances and maybe lower the band where higher rate tax kicks in. However Brown craves the Big Brother Dependancy culture.

I'm constantly seeing people on hpc.com going: "Grrr!!!! Benefit scroungers!!!! Grrrrr!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:"

Fact is, everybody in the UK benefits from free healthcare, free education etc and the majority of people in the UK directly receive some sort of state benefits, whether it's pension, jobseekers allowance, child benefit etc.

The Great Divide that so many posters on here seem to believe in, with decent hard-working, self-supporting individuals on the one hand and feckless, dole-scrounging scum on the other, just does not exist. One way or another, we're all benefit scroungers guys, learn to be more tolerant! ;)

I'm constantly seeing people on hpc.com going: "Grrr!!!! Benefit scroungers!!!! Grrrrr!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:"

Fact is, everybody in the UK benefits from free healthcare, free education etc and the majority of people in the UK directly receive some sort of state benefits, whether it's pension, jobseekers allowance, child benefit etc.

The Great Divide that so many posters on here seem to believe in, with decent hard-working, self-supporting individuals on the one hand and feckless, dole-scrounging scum on the other, just does not exist. One way or another, we're all benefit scroungers guys, learn to be more tolerant! ;)

Not at all. It's not free to those of us paying income tax, national insurance, council tax, road fund licence, insurance premium tax and so on.

We may not be paying for it at the point of delivery but we surely pay for it.

I've no quarrel with those who collect benefits when they need the safety net benefits were set up to provide. But I do object to those who claim these benefits as their right despite having made no contribution. I do object to being forced to pay taxes of whatever name for a small part of the very same taxes to be returned to me. I want to be able to choose what I spend my money on, I do not want someone else spending my money for me on services I have no choice but to use whether they are good, indifferent or poor.

The main issue for me is someone making my decisions for me and taking away my choices.

Fact is, everybody in the UK benefits from free healthcare, free education etc, which is paid for by the taxes of the decreasing few who actually bother working anymore.*

Fixed that for you.

* That and QE monopoly money, obviously.

Since the two are unconnected in any way it's impossible to answer your riddle.

the implication is that all asylum seekers will be housed getting priority over born birtish and long term resident british. How many asylum seekers actually have first foot on british as their safe place? Zero unless they can swim from country of origin.

The more asylum seekers turn up the more housing is stretched. I did see something quoted in the paper last week or the week before that asians in the west midlands were complaining that the somali A.S were taking all the housing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8137408.stm

Provisional annual 2008 figures show that there were 25,670 applications for asylum in the UK. This was 10 per cent higher than 2007 (23,430), but still continuing the fall from a peak of 84,130 in 2002.

Including dependants, provisional figures show that there were 30,545 asylum applications in 2008, 8 per cent higher than 2007 (28,300). This compares with an estimated decrease of 2 per cent in the rest of the EU27 (excluding Italy and the UK).

Asylum Initial decisions

Provisional annual figures show a decrease of 11 per cent in 2008 (19,420) for initial asylum decisions compared to 2007 (21,775). Of these, 19 per cent were granted asylum, 11 per cent granted either humanitarian protection or discretionary leave and 70 per cent refused.

Removals and Voluntary departures

In 2008, provisional figures show that 66,275 persons were removed or departed voluntarily from the UK, 5 per cent higher than 2007 (63,365). Compared to 2007, there was a fall of 15 per cent to 11,640 for those leaving who had claimed asylum (including dependants), but an increase of 10 per cent to 54,635 for non-asylum cases.

Source

c. 25,000 applications in 2008. There are c.25,000,000 households in the UK - so that's about 0.1% pa.

70% of these applications were refused, so that leaves about 7,500 successful. So we're down to about 0.033% of UK households.

There again 66,000 people left or were removed.

Asylum hardly adds anything to our immigration stats. Asylum is a great British tradition of offering sanctuary to people who have been persecuted in their homelands.

I think you need to get over it.

Umm, they're the biggest hand-outs for scroungers around.

You get paid tons regardless of how much (if any) tax you've paid. The rich can get them too (e.g. IT Contractors earning £100K+ per year).

Funny how renaming them from "benefits" to "tax credits" makes the scroungers feel better about themselves.

Fact is, everybody in the UK benefits from free healthcare, free education etc

Hey! We're not all plebs you know. I'm sorry you had to go to a State School, but no need to drag the rest of us down to your level.

Despite the spin from the biased "Equality and Human Rights Commission", the report does show that migrants are favoured. Our domestic scroungers have mostly been scamming the system for years. If the migrants have managed to scrounge so effectively that "the same proportion live in social housing" already, then that's clear proof of enormous favouritism.

I suppose the idea is that if you spin the bogus headline on Pravda and no-one reads the detail then you can continue to scam the suckers (indigenous British taxpayers).

I just watched this story on channel 4 & it did have more than a hint of 'damn lies' about it.

the first question is of course, what question are they trying to answer?

there is so much 'framing' in the statistics that its impossible to figure out what question the statistics are trying to answer.

the bbc article starts .."new arrivals in the UK are able to jump council housing queues"

and then further down

"Just 11% of new arrivals get help with housing - almost all of them asylum seekers."

what the hell? can someone untangle that statistic??

can new arrivals, NOT claiming asylum apply for council housing? (I think not)

therefore the only ones getting council housing would be asylum seekers... and I'd imagine thats most of them?? (certainly not 1/6)

and how many people earning > 100kGBP can get council housing?

yea exactly.. better off living in switzerland :lol::P;)

"Just 11% of new arrivals get help with housing - almost all of them asylum seekers."

what the hell? can someone untangle that statistic??

can new arrivals, NOT claiming asylum apply for council housing? (I think not)

therefore the only ones getting council housing would be asylum seekers... and I'd imagine thats most of them?? (certainly not 1/6)

and how many people earning > 100kGBP can get council housing?

yea exactly.. better off living in switzerland :lol::P;)

Certainly.

Anyone can apply, asylum seekers (nearly all of them bogus by the way since v. unlikely UK is their first safe destination) get a free house and a bag of money more or less automatically. Other migrants have to make up a good sob story or wait five years before they can scam benefits (although I've also read two years - it might depend on exactly what they are scrounging).

Robert Maxwell had a council house when he was earning millions.

Not really, it's dull.

HTH

Provisional annual 2008 figures show that there were 25,670 applications for asylum in the UK. This was 10 per cent higher than 2007 (23,430), but still continuing the fall from a peak of 84,130 in 2002.

What's wrong with these asylum seekers, Britain not good enough for them?.

Fact is, everybody in the UK benefits from free healthcare, free education etc

WRONG!

I don't know who benefits from the NHS, but it absolutely wasn't there for me the one and only time in my life I've had a really serious and urgent need for it.

HTH

Why come up with the statistic at all? surely something like.

Migrants not claiming asylum are NOT entitled to apply for council housing and therefore not be part of, or jump, housing queues.

Migrants who claim asylum and are sucessful ARE entitled to housing and XX% are housed in council accomodation.

the 11% statistic is meaningless.