Guest Ian Chesterton

HOLA441
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
No offense mate but that sounds like a slightly boring existence. I am not saying you should use credit - but maybe earn more cash? Not having a passport and never having been abroad by the age of 36 makes you sound, well, American!! :rolleyes::lol::o:unsure: Not sure that is something to be proud of. What do you do for fun?

I am not particularly proud of my 'shackled existence' and might take offense at being compared to a typical yank lol (but it would be rather shallow of me to do so!) In my opinion there is no difference between myself and a Brit that goes over to Ibeefa and dines out at English bars etc... Or someone who goes to Egypt and yet only goes to see the nightlife :unsure: However I would love to go abroad and maybe one day this will become a reality for me and the family. At the moment I am putting all my time into trying to help my daughter develop some of the skills and self esteem that I never had and really miss. I guess I am making personal sacrifices along with the financial and more luxurious!

I live within my means. LOL I would feel like a sharleton living the 'Life of Riley' and all the time knowing that I hadn't earned the lifestyle and would have to somehow pay it back...

BTW I have been in debt. Both for items I have purchased (but couldn't really afford) and through personal circumstances. The former I hated so much that I haven't been on finance since. The latter I had stood in good stead with my bank and talked to them about the situation I was in and showed how I intended to put things right. I had a good track record and luckily I had an overdraft that I hadn't seen as a general free-for-all previously!

On the last point I would like to know what your definition of fun is? For example mine is NOT sitting or sun bathing in a foreign resort set up almost entirely to cater for foreign people. I don't go to pubs very often and get smashed. I guess I am not a typical person ( and I know that) so I suspect my and your ideas of fun will be very different!

HOLA443
I am not particularly proud of my 'shackled existence' and might take offense at being compared to a typical yank lol (but it would be rather shallow of me to do so!) In my opinion there is no difference between myself and a Brit that goes over to Ibeefa and dines out at English bars etc... Or someone who goes to Egypt and yet only goes to see the nightlife :unsure: However I would love to go abroad and maybe one day this will become a reality for me and the family. At the moment I am putting all my time into trying to help my daughter develop some of the skills and self esteem that I never had and really miss. I guess I am making personal sacrifices along with the financial and more luxurious!

I live within my means. LOL I would feel like a sharleton living the 'Life of Riley' and all the time knowing that I hadn't earned the lifestyle and would have to somehow pay it back...

BTW I have been in debt. Both for items I have purchased (but couldn't really afford) and through personal circumstances. The former I hated so much that I haven't been on finance since. The latter I had stood in good stead with my bank and talked to them about the situation I was in and showed how I intended to put things right. I had a good track record and luckily I had an overdraft that I hadn't seen as a general free-for-all previously!

On the last point I would like to know what your definition of fun is? For example mine is NOT sitting or sun bathing in a foreign resort set up almost entirely to cater for foreign people. I don't go to pubs very often and get smashed. I guess I am not a typical person ( and I know that) so I suspect my and your ideas of fun will be very different!

No offense intended with the Yank comment - said in jest. I agree about the ibeefa/booze holidays. have tried them once or twice but they do not represent my idea of a great holiday. I cannot sit still for longer than 10 mins so sunbathing is not an option! No, I think travel is interesting as it allows you more of a chance to make your own mind up about stuff about other countries that you hear in the media plus you get to experience other cultures, lifestyles and views on the world. Plus you can see the desert and ride a camel :rolleyes: I also think that the best places to go are typically the places that see the least foreign tourists.

HOLA444
Anyone's life can go awry, your included!

Yes. And, when things go awry, do you think I should still issue cheques without having the funds to cover them? Draw cash from machines? Allow direct debits and standing orders to continue when I've no balance left or an agreement with my bank to pay them? Or do you think that, bearing in mind that I'm 'between jobs' and have very little else to do, I should act in an adult and responsible manner and manage my financial affairs so I don't get charged by my bank for being a puerile, irresponsible and pathetic little failing git?

(If I've been doing such things for seven years, then I think it's time to grow up.)

HOLA445
Guest anorthosite
The OP has apparently been in this sort of situation for about seven years and has regularly been overdrawing without agreement. To me that says poor financial planning.

Stop telling lies about me. I have said many times now that for most of the seven years I was financially responsible, but that I fell on hard times on a couple of occassions.

HOLA446
Guest anorthosite
Yes. And, when things go awry, do you think I should still issue cheques without having the funds to cover them? Draw cash from machines? Allow direct debits and standing orders to continue when I've no balance left or an agreement with my bank to pay them? Or do you think that, bearing in mind that I'm 'between jobs' and have very little else to do, I should act in an adult and responsible manner and manage my financial affairs so I don't get charged by my bank for being a puerile, irresponsible and pathetic little failing git?

(If I've been doing such things for seven years, then I think it's time to grow up.)

Another person who can't read.

Still, if bad mouthing me helps your self esteem, please carry on.

Note that I never wrote a bad cheque or withdrew money from a cash machine I didn't have.

Edited by anorthosite

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Another person who can't read.

Still, if bad mouthing me helps your self esteem, please carry on.

Note that I never wrote a bad cheque or withdrew money from a cash machine I didn't have.

I fail to see why anyone in their right minds would be proud to announce to the world that they had been charged thousands of pounds by their bank for being financially incompetent! It's a badge of shame, not something to crow about.

HOLA4410
Guest anorthosite
I fail to see why anyone in their right minds would be proud to announce to the world that they had been charged thousands of pounds by their bank for being financially incompetent! It's a badge of shame, not something to crow about.

You know nothing of my circumstances.

You are doing nothing but throwing insults around.

You are a troll.

HOLA4411
Guest theboltonfury
Although I'm not after a sympathetic ear, I'm gloating about my victory over the banks. ;)

And encouraging others to follow.

I wasn't getting at you there mate.

HOLA4412

Why, after boasting about the amount of fees you were charged by your bank, you are suggesting that you did hardly anything to warrant the charges in the first place?

If it wasn't cheques or cash withdrawals that you were charged for, then it must have been for something else. That, effectively, means standing orders and/or direct debits. These are totally within your control and if you didn't have the money to cover them, you should have done something about them - before the days they were due. After all, you had nothing better to do!

Why should other people who run their accounts properly cover the costs of running your incompetently run account? And, why do you boast about it?

And, this time, try coming up with a proper answer to a proper question rather than your pathetic little "You're a troll!".

Edited by a+b+c+d

HOLA4413
Guest anorthosite
I wasn't getting at you there mate.

I know, I didn't mean it to sound like I thought you were. Sorry if I did.

HOLA4414
Guest anorthosite
Why, after boasting about the amount of fees you were charged by your bank, you are suggesting that you did hardly anything to warrant the charges in the first place?

Because the cost to the bank was much less than what they charged me.

If it wasn't cheques or cash withdrawals that you were charged for, then it must have been for something else. That, effectively, means standing orders and/or direct debits. These are totally within your control and if you didn't have the money to cover them, you should have done something about them - before the days they were due. After all, you had nothing better to do!

Nothing better to do?!? Again you know nothing of my circumstances.

Why should other people who run their accounts properly cover the costs of running your incompetently run account? And, why do you boast about it?

I'll say it again shall I? I am happy to compensate the bank for any money they lose as a result of me not paying a direct debit to a third party. However, I don't think its £35.

Your suggestion that I will have my banking paid for by others is ridiculous, as by that logic the charges have been subsidising free banking for years.

And, this time, try coming up with a proper answer to a proper question rather than your pathetic little "Your a troll!".

How about I call you a "puerile, irresponsible and pathetic little failing git"? You know, that phrase you used in my direction earlier? I stand by the troll comment.

HOLA4415
Guest theboltonfury
I know, I didn't mean it to sound like I thought you were. Sorry if I did.

Sometimes a smaller bank charge is merited due to laziness or whatever, but what gets me is that the charge then makes you subsequently even more overdrawn and you get charged for that, which spirals. I can imagine how one can easily get into a situation where one's salary (which is usually paid into a bank) is infact mostly paying off charges. Whcih in turns leads to DD's being missed.

It's easy to castigate, but effectively it's the remit of charges and the ease they can take them without discussion that makes them illegal.

Imagine if you went overdrawn by a tenner and this resulted in 3 dd's being missed at £35 a time, plus £30 for being overdrawn. They've just had £130 off you without even a conversation. The punishment does not fit the crime.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Skinty
I can well remember when incomings bearly covered outgoings. It meant I had to plan my finances, using credit card or agreed overdrafts where necessary as buffers.

It meant a bit of fiscal discipline to make sure I always had things balanced. Thankfully that situation only lasted a year or two as I built my savings and increased my salary as I got better jobs.

The OP has apparently been in this sort of situation for about seven years and has regularly been overdrawing without agreement. To me that says poor financial planning.

If you are able to stay in your job and get a regular income then sure, it's easy to live with income barely meeting your expenses. But when the landlord decides to sell up, or you have to find another job because there is no such thing as job security anymore, then it's either use an overdraft or credit card or become homeless. You end up moving, after 6 months, finally start to get past all the charges and 6 months later you have to move again.

I've been like that for the last few years and am only now managing to properly recover. I found it particularly difficult during the boom years because I was personally trying to avoid going into debt but because everyone else was, the cost of living was rising substantially. If I hadn't managed to move back into my parents house and waited for the right job then the cycle would have continued.

Edited by Skinty

HOLA4418
Guest anorthosite
Sometimes a smaller bank charge is merited due to laziness or whatever, but what gets me is that the charge then makes you subsequently even more overdrawn and you get charged for that, which spirals. I can imagine how one can easily get into a situation where one's salary (which is usually paid into a bank) is infact mostly paying off charges. Whcih in turns leads to DD's being missed.

It's easy to castigate, but effectively it's the remit of charges and the ease they can take them without discussion that makes them illegal.

Imagine if you went overdrawn by a tenner and this resulted in 3 dd's being missed at £35 a time, plus £30 for being overdrawn. They've just had £130 off you without even a conversation. The punishment does not fit the crime.

This is pretty much what my problem was. Not paid on time by your employer? Here, have £200 worth of charges for not paying third parties (some of who legitimately charged me - and I paid) plus interest, plus charges for being overdrawn thanks to being charged £200.

HOLA4419
Look the boy from Belfast with enough money to last for six years at current spending rates don't ya know (not factoring in inflation) is just trying tell you that he is considerably richer than yow. Accept it an move on.

I'm terribly sorry that the fact I have decent savings seems to make you so hissy.

I wouldn't have mentioned it except for a jibe that I'd be sub-prime myself in a couple of months without a job - just setting the record straight - but since it clearly trips your 'chip on your shoulder' trigger I'll try to be more sensitive in future :lol:

HOLA4420
If you are able to stay in your job and get a regular income then sure, it's easy to live with income barely meeting your expenses. But when the landlord decides to sell up, or you have to find another job because there is no such thing as job security anymore, then it's either use an overdraft or credit card or become homeless. You end up moving, after 6 months, finally start to get past all the charges and 6 months later you have to move again.

I've been like that for the last few years and am only now managing to properly recover. I found it particularly difficult during the boom years because I was personally trying to avoid going into debt but because everyone else was, the cost of living was rising substantially. If I hadn't managed to move back into my parents house and waited for the right job then the cycle would have continued.

I find it hard to see how that sort of 'finances on the edge' situation could persist for the last seven years throughout the biggest, craziest boom in history as apparently was the case for the OP.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
I find it hard to see how that sort of 'finances on the edge' situation could persist for the last seven years throughout the biggest, craziest boom in history as apparently was the case for the OP.

What fekking boom? unless you were a pwoperdee developer and/or mewing up to the eyeballs.

I got it wrong too. I could have bought a house, but didn't because my self employed status was too fragile at the time (and houses in London were too expensive anyway).

Obviously I should have lied like everyone else.

I repeat, what fekking boom? :lol:

HOLA4424
Dont you just love the pulpit preachers...always on the side of righteousness. :wacko:

There's plenty of indignation against people with big mortgages being bailed out by low interest rates...

Likewise, lots of slagging off of BTLers who didn't do their sums....

And plenty of 'pulpit preaching' decrying banks who loaned irresponsibly getting bailed out with public cash.....

So what makes you think that someone who can't manage their own money and expects to get a 'bailout' from the consequences of that ineptness (which on a wider scale could well mean the end of free personal banking for those in credit) is going to get an easy ride?

HOLA4425
Guest anorthosite

How many times do I have to say it? For most of the seven years I received no charges. I had a bad spell. Then I was fine for ages. Then I had another bad spell. Nothing persisted.

You and the other poster's constant statements to the contrary are worth of Gordon Brown's "It came from America" mantra.