House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danny Deflation

Aren't You Sick Of Facebook (and Other Social Networking Sites)?

I used to have a Facebook profile, but deleted it once I realised Facebook was the final refuge of the socially inept.

I intially had about 10 to 15 "Friends". These were genuine personal friends, and one or two close family members that wanted to send me photos and stuff. I didn't add work colleagues, people I knew 20 years ago, etc.

And then - slowly and surely - I was contacted by all sorts of riff-raff (the aforementioned work colleagues, a man from school that I never liked, a plethora of human litter that recognised my name and sent me a request). Like a fool I accepted all the friends request and quickly and effortlessly acquired about 150 "friends", most of whom were people I didn't like, didn't know, or didn't care about.

Realising that Facebook had completely denigrated the meaning of the word "friend" I deleted my account, and life has been sparklier ever since!

(I also don't like Twitter, where idiots like Stephen Fry make crass, unimaginative comments to fill the lives of crass, unimaginative "followers".)

Anyone agree? Or do you all think it's the best thing since sliced bread?

Any good friends i have refuse to join it. Seems mostly colleagues who upload thousands upon thousands of pictures of them selves and their posessions. It was good when its use was restricted to universities, and it was actually used for networking. Now it just seems to be an online photo album.

Most people just seem to want a high friend count. People friend me, then never bother talking to me. Whats the point?

it's all the naff up their own backside people i know of that have facebook pages, i say to them grow up you idiots, no one cares where you are or what you're up to except Bob the Burglar, as for TWITter I think the name says it all

Guest theboltonfury
I used to have a Facebook profile, but deleted it once I realised Facebook was the final refuge of the socially inept.

I intially had about 10 to 15 "Friends". These were genuine personal friends, and one or two close family members that wanted to send me photos and stuff. I didn't add work colleagues, people I knew 20 years ago, etc.

And then - slowly and surely - I was contacted by all sorts of riff-raff (the aforementioned work colleagues, a man from school that I never liked, a plethora of human litter that recognised my name and sent me a request). Like a fool I accepted all the friends request and quickly and effortlessly acquired about 150 "friends", most of whom were people I didn't like, didn't know, or didn't care about.

Realising that Facebook had completely denigrated the meaning of the word "friend" I deleted my account, and life has been sparklier ever since!

(I also don't like Twitter, where idiots like Stephen Fry make crass, unimaginative comments to fill the lives of crass, unimaginative "followers".)

Couldn't agree more.

A waste of time. If someone genuinely thinks that by updating their status to 'Keith is having a baked potato' is anything other than self-indulgent balls then I pity the fools. Worse still, those that will then comment on Keith's potato eating.

Couldn't agree more.

A waste of time. If someone genuinely thinks that by updating their status to 'Keith is having a baked potato' is anything other than self-indulgent balls then I pity the fools. Worse still, those that will then comment on Keith's potato eating.

Hmm, who is this Keith of which you speak? Sounds like an interesting fellow, if you can kindly furnish me with a surname i'll pop a 'friend request' quick-sticks.

In its defence, Facebook has allowed me to get back in contact with a couple of decent mates from back home; the rest are just human flotsam.

I actually have a Facebook account as it's the only way to keep in touch with my kids. Otherwise I'd hardly ever talk to them. They're all students so we don't really keep a consistent set of hours! (one's on the work bit of his sandwich so is keeping engineering hours this year).

...and I added my niece because she's in the States now. So I have 4 "friends", but I'm not adding any random people!

Unlike some I have set all the security so as not to be too visible!

I also have a LinkedIn profile that I use so infrequently I have to get my password reset every time I log in.

It has it's place I suppose and it is genuinely useful for keeping in touch with people you don't see all that often or have otherwise lost touch with. I suppose you can also meet new people and have a genuine friendship with them (friends of friends) even though you may never actually meet face-to-face - although, obviously, it's not going to be of exactly the same nature.

I resisted it for ages but got on it a couple of months ago and have found a mate I haven't seen since we were both 10, along with a few others. I don't really post too much on it to be honest, although other half seems to spend half her life on it, and I'm not interested in getting into some daft "who's got the most friends" competition. They aren't friends in the real sense of the word anyway when you get into figures in the hundreds.

One of the reasons I tend not to post a great deal on it is that a single inconsiderately worded post can p1ss off a hell of a lot of people for a hell of a long time.

Guest theboltonfury
Hmm, who is this Keith of which you speak? Sounds like an interesting fellow, if you can kindly furnish me with a surname i'll pop a 'friend request' quick-sticks.

In its defence, Facebook has allowed me to get back in contact with a couple of decent mates from back home; the rest are just human flotsam.

He is called Keith and that was a real update. I'm not sure Keith really grasps the concept of QE and HI, so I'll spare him in this case.

I didn't really like it but then you mum sent me a friend request and I was like "OH YEEEAH!"

I tried to compose a decent post on the subject of Facebook and failed. Instead, based on observations of others use of it (the missus uses it as an IM, and to laugh at people's ugly relatives), here are a few phrases that spring to mind...

The major difference between a Facebook user and an internet dating site user is the basic honesty of purpose.

All babies look like babies, hence why hospitals put tags on them.

There are usually very good reasons why we don't keep in contact with people from our past.

It's very easy to lie on the internet. I invented milk.

If comments on profile posts were both mandatory and honest, 98% of them would read "I don't care".

I never have been on Wasteofspacebook and don't intend to.

What put me off it was the murder of one of my former students a couple of years ago. The photos (including the one on the Wikipedia page) and text from her Facebook page had been published in the national and international media within hours. Given that the small print of Facebook states that you hand over the copyright of everything you put on it to the site's owners, it is at the very least a possibility that Facebook sold this stuff to the media. The bottom line - if I end up becoming famous involuntarily and for an unpleasant reason, then I want as little information as possible about my private life entering the public domain. No such information is going anywhere near a site to whom I'm required to hand over the copyright - not even the names of my 'friends', who would doubtless become the subject of unwanted media attention.

I rarely visit my FB account, but when I do go on it, for some reason I usually turn my comments on such sites into sarcastic diatribes...I cant help it - its just a natural reflex for me. So many people put inane comments on there, that I feel that I have to counter against them.

I rarely visit my FB account, but when I do go on it, for some reason I usually turn my comments on such sites into sarcastic diatribes...I cant help it - its just a natural reflex for me. So many people put inane comments on there, that I feel that I have to counter against them.

I would be far too tempted to update it after every bowel movement, giving them ratings out of 10.

Guest anorthosite
I would be far too tempted to update it after every bowel movement, giving them ratings out of 10.

You need to mark it out of 7:

350px-Bristol_Stool_Chart.png

Guest Skinty

For my gold run, I'll go for a type 7 please Bob.

Its totally overrated, part of the dumbing down of the internet as everyone goes online.

What I do rate, is a website called http://mydeathspace.com/article-list.aspx This website shows people who have died (no suprise) and links to their myspace or other pictures.

Usually there are posts from friends that are quite touching, and I dunno I just find it really grounding. One day someone is posting a picture of themselves, next day they are gone.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of the Bristol Stool Chart. However, that merely categorises the type of stool, whereas the Jimothy Scat Chart is a measure of the experience i.e was it quick, painless and didn't require much wiping? That would be close to a 10/10. Were it like Type 1 on the Bristol chart, and took 15 minutes then it would score very lowly. However, a type 7 on the bristol chart would automatically be low on the Jimothy chart as such motions usually take half a bog roll to clean away and also suggest you have a dickie tummy, which is bad.

;)

I never have been on Wasteofspacebook and don't intend to.

What put me off it was the murder of one of my former students a couple of years ago. The photos (including the one on the Wikipedia page) and text from her Facebook page had been published in the national and international media within hours. Given that the small print of Facebook states that you hand over the copyright of everything you put on it to the site's owners, it is at the very least a possibility that Facebook sold this stuff to the media. The bottom line - if I end up becoming famous involuntarily and for an unpleasant reason, then I want as little information as possible about my private life entering the public domain. No such information is going anywhere near a site to whom I'm required to hand over the copyright - not even the names of my 'friends', who would doubtless become the subject of unwanted media attention.

It doesn't though;

"# Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how we share your content through your privacy and application settings. In order for us to use certain types of content and provide you with Facebook, you agree to the following:

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account (except to the extent your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it).

2. When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).

3. We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

The words, "You own" means you own it. Facebook can only use it as long as you keep it on the site and only to the extent that your privacy settings allow.

Even then, if you don't want anything of importance being published then don't publish it on FB to begin with or just don't publish anything of significance. "Frank is eating a baked potato" is hardly useful to criminals.

I also don't like Twitter, where idiots like Stephen Fry make crass, unimaginative comments to fill the lives of crass, unimaginative "followers".

Don't knock Stephen Fry

Anyone who describes a 'next morning' KFC as a 'congealed thrift bucket' is OK by me.

I tried to compose a decent post on the subject of Facebook and failed. Instead, based on observations of others use of it (the missus uses it as an IM, and to laugh at people's ugly relatives), here are a few phrases that spring to mind...

The major difference between a Facebook user and an internet dating site user is the basic honesty of purpose.

All babies look like babies, hence why hospitals put tags on them.

There are usually very good reasons why we don't keep in contact with people from our past.

It's very easy to lie on the internet. I invented milk.

If comments on profile posts were both mandatory and honest, 98% of them would read "I don't care".

There are usually good reasons. They don't all have to be negative though. There was a good reason I hadn't seen my mate mentioned above since I was 10 (I moved schools) and I probably wouldn't have even bothered looking had it not been easy to search FB.

Yeah, it's easier to lie on the internet. I reckon it's more difficult to lie on FB as all your mates know you anyway so people will likely spot it.

I'd sign up for Facebook, but I don't have a funky haircut, and I don't 24hrs a day either listening to MP3 players or talking shite on my mobile.