House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Injin

Secret Pay Deals Give Top Police Thousands Extra

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6653377.ece

Senior police officers are receiving “off-book payments†and secret perks totalling hundreds of thousands of pounds, including private school fees and cars for their spouses.

The Times has discovered that one chief constable heading a force of just 1,700 officers was paid a £74,000 top-up on his salary last year. Sean Price, of the Cleveland force, was paid a £50,000 “retention package†and an “honorarium†of £24,000, raising his income to £200,000.

The private deals, sometimes referred to as debentures or supplements, are negotiated with police authorities behind closed doors and paid over and above salaries agreed in national negotiations.

The incentives include generous relocation packages, satellite TV, home security and even “lifestyle coachingâ€. They are legal but largely hidden from the public. The Times has uncovered the scale of the practice.

Ian McPherson, head of Norfolk police, received £70,000 more than his £126,000 salary in 2007-08 when his police authority paid the stamp duty on his purchase of a new house.

Sir Norman Bettison, West Yorkshire’s chief constable, has a “unique package†worth about £55,000 a year.

Essex Police Authority paid a “golden handcuffs†bonus to the chief constable, Roger Baker, but the strategy failed because he retired this week.

The pay deals are the subject of fierce disagreement among chief police officers and officials, who are gathering today in Manchester for the annual conference of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) and the Association of Police Authorities.

Sir Ken Jones, the retiring president of Acpo, said: “If people feel that the pay scales need to change then they should be openly renegotiated. These payments effectively lock people into a particular force and inhibit movement and development.â€

Another senior officer told The Times: “We should not have such secrets in the Police Service. This works totally against the idea of equal opportunities. You have to be part of the inner circle.â€

But Stephen Bett, the chairman of Norfolk Police Authority, said: “If chief executives of district councils, with very limited direct public accountability, are paid £120,000 a year, what would attract anyone to be Chief Constable of Norfolk, with all his direct accountability, for £129,000 per year?â€

Looting.

Thievery by another name.

I'm liking the new book, it states it all in very easy to understand terms which reflect reality with a good degree of accuracy.

Both the high-caste technocrats (who keep the State and economy running smoothly for their Plutocratic overlords) and the underclass sense their shares of the national income and wealth are diminishing as the Plutocracy redistributes both to their own pockets, and quite naturally they seek some way to maintain or grow their own declining purchasing power/wealth.

As they watch the Plutocrats in action, they learn the most effective ways to increase one's share of the income/wealth are looting ("gaming the system" of pensions, benefits, State entitlements, etc.), deception, fraud and embezzlement (accounting trickery, collusion, sweetheart contracts, etc.) and influence-peddling, known in the Third World as corruption, baksheesh, etc.

The salarys chief constables get is ridiculously low compared to business, would you want to run the Met for £120k P.A.? I certainly wouldn't, they need some incentives to attract and keep talented people. I personally think chief constables should be elected and not appointed but thats another story

The salarys chief constables get is ridiculously low compared to business, would you want to run the Met for £120k P.A.? I certainly wouldn't, they need some incentives to attract and keep talented people. I personally think chief constables should be elected and not appointed but thats another story

Yeah, that lame old story. We need to pay more to get talented people, so we all pay more to the top dogs. Then then bankrupt the company, get a huge payoff and go and loot somewhere else.

It's a barefaced lie. I'm sick of it.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Wage inflation, the rattiest sneakiest form of wage inflation.

You think the chief of the met got his job because of talent?

Nice theory, unfortunately our overlords prove time and again its who you know, not what you know in the upper echelons of civil service.

You think the chief of the met got his job because of talent?

Nice theory, unfortunately our overlords prove time and again its who you know, not what you know in the upper echelons of civil service.

Meet on the square. Come from the East, come from the West....

Something like that, I'm not a freemason, I wouldnt know.

I would say its the others you are comparing with who are overpaid.

You should all be aware that 'Police Community Support Officers' are the equivalent of Nazi 'Brown_shirts' who were the Police force/enforcers of politically correct behaviour of the Nazis.

If our real 'Police Force' had not been run down thru deliberate lack of funds over decades and become almost 'office' officers (due to red tape) we would have had real police officers on the streets to deal with the anti-social and unruly.

Ask yourself how 'They' can suddenly find enough funds to employ a small army of well over 10,000 'P.C.' Parliamentary enforcers - after saying for years there was no money available for extra policing or coppers on foot patrols.

Sham!

'They' have put their foot soldiers inplace ready for a take-over - beware!

You should all be aware that 'Police Community Support Officers' are the equivalent of Nazi 'Brown_shirts' who were the Police force/enforcers of politically correct behaviour of the Nazis.

If our real 'Police Force' had not been run down thru deliberate lack of funds over decades and become almost 'office' officers (due to red tape) we would have had real police officers on the streets to deal with the anti-social and unruly.

Ask yourself how 'They' can suddenly find enough funds to employ a small army of well over 10,000 'P.C.' Parliamentary enforcers - after saying for years there was no money available for extra policing or coppers on foot patrols.

Sham!

'They' have put their foot soldiers inplace ready for a take-over - beware!

My brother is a Police Sgt and his partner is a PCSO.

I can tell you for a fact that PCSOs are not brown shirted goons they are all the people that couldnt get into the proper police for whatever reason and whose existance helps create a statistical illusion of racial, sexual etc... equality when talking about the "police force" as a whole.

I supply of rubiks cubes with a pretend fuse sticking out the top and an instruction to "diffuse the bomb!" would keep most of this army of elite warriors at bay for several days.*

One of "Jackboots" Jackies last lingering leftovers(Jackboots is already used in the mainstream)

"Home Office has recently announced plans

- £8million worth of funding to introduce more than 10,000 of the stun guns for use in all police forces throughout England and Wales.

Up until now only specially trained firearms officers could use them - but the funding means that soon up to 30,000 officers on the beat could be trained in their use.

Which "30,000 'OFFICERS' ON THE BEAT"?

My brother is a Police Sgt and his partner is a PCSO.

I can tell you for a fact that PCSOs are not brown shirted goons they are all the people that couldnt get into the proper police for whatever reason and whose existance helps create a statistical illusion of racial, sexual etc... equality when talking about the "police force" as a whole.

I supply of rubiks cubes with a pretend fuse sticking out the top and an instruction to "diffuse the bomb!" would keep most of this army of elite warriors at bay for several days.*

Ignorance is all that is required, the policies do the rest. There were many "good" people in Nazi Germany that didn't understand what was being asked of them until it was to late.

Forgive me if I misheard but the senior officer on the Today programme this morning seemed to say that he had approximately 7,000 officers and a budget of £1.2 bn to run.

So each officer on the street costs on average £178,000 per year to run. Obviously part of this goes on paying former officers pensions but how on earth do they manage to spend that?

The Met Commissioner is paid around £250k per year.

Chief Constables tend to be paid at a level that is set on how many officers they are in charge of.

A Chief Constable is equivelant to a Met Assistant Commissioner; the 3rd highest Met rank.

I suppose these Chiefs Constables would argue that 200K for been in effect the local unelected Shogun is not a vast amount - however it is far more than their equivalents earn anywhere in Europe or even the United States ...