House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Don't Stop Spending, Brown Tells Europe

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...pe-1734408.html

Gordon Brown has urged the world's major economies not to take their foot off the spending pedal, saying that "going for growth" could protect vital public services from cuts.

Speaking at an Anglo-French summit in Evian yesterday, the Prime Minister said: "If we can get growth, if we can get unemployment down, if we can keep interest rates and inflation down, then there is scope to do the things we want to do, and that is to get money to the frontline services."

But Peter Hain, the Welsh Secretary, became the latest member of the Cabinet to raise the prospect of spending cuts after the general election. Although aides insisted he was not contradicting Mr Brown, Mr Hain said: "Once we emerge from recession, it is fair to state that a slower growth of public spending will be the best strategy. The next 10 years cannot be the same as Labour's past 10 years of record investment in our schools and hospitals spending. We will need patience as well as prudence. It will mean being tough on priorities and going hard for efficiency. But such sensible Labour prudence over the medium term is quite different from Tory slash-and-burn starting now."

Downing Street and the Treasury sought to calm trade union fears of a pay freeze for six million public sector workers. The Chancellor declined to rule out such a move on Sunday, but No 10 has said the Government would not dismantle the three-year deals for groups including teachers.

Mr Brown is worried that economic recovery in Britain could stall unless other nations, particularly European countries, continue to take action to stimulate a return to growth. He will take his "go for growth" message to the G8 summit of the world's leading economies in Italy starting tomorrow.

Yesterday, the French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, echoed the Prime Minister's comments about the need to ensure a return to growth as the two leaders heaped praise on each other. "Of course we need to combat indebtedness and try to restrain deficit, but we will only achieve that if we restore growth and if we restore our economies to health," M. Sarkozy said. Mr Brown told his host: "President Sarkozy, mon ami, you are truly a force of nature."

Britain promised £15m to tighten borders in French ports where hundreds of would-be migrants gather in the hope of smuggling themselves into the UK. Searches of vehicles and goods heading for Britain will be stepped up. M. Sarkozy pledged to return more illegal immigrants to their home countries.

If we could just get a gun

If those protecting him could turn a blind eye (no pun intended)

Full of ifs, full of sh1t.

Brown clearly believes debt is wealth and as I've said before the past 12 years or so proves that this is correct, that was the paradigm. He clearly believes it's not working now because we haven't taken on enough debt to kick start growth.

The man is delusional and dangerous.

We can't keep spending money we haven't got.

Guest KingCharles1st

Brown clearly believes debt is wealth and as I've said before the past 12 years or so proves that this is correct, that was the paradigm. He clearly believes it's not working now because we haven't taken on enough debt to kick start growth.

+1

Do you get the feeling sometimes that if he can convince other leaders to do as he does, when it goes wrong he can at least say it wasn't just him?

The words 'it started in America' ring in my ears?

Edited by 3 Men In A Boat

+1

+2.

He is increasingly delusional and illogical; the frightening things is how much of a worse condition we could be in after another year of him 'investing' to try and buy a ZanuLabour victory at the next election. The long term health of this country seems to be a complete irrelevance to him............

Edited by Warwick Yellow

+2.

He is increasingly delusional and illogical; the frightening things is how much of a worse condition we could be in after another year of him 'investing' to try and buy a ZanuLabour victory at the next election. The long term health of this country seems to be a complete irrelevance to him............

It's all just pure ego. Browns got nothing going for him and he knows it.

I'm sick of listening to all these ugly looking old boomer bast4rds talking b0ll0x. I wish they would all just p1ss off and take their fat guts, swivel eyes and Margaret Beckett looks with them. Pr1cks!!

Edited by Wait & See

I think Brown is getting really desperate now.

He thought that by now, all the printing and slashing of IR's would have our economy really pumping. But it's only a whimper, barely anything, and despite a major PR campaign, the "recovery" is just not happening.

He knows that when he has to start announcing public sector cuts, he's finished. The games over, he simply can't fudge over this anymore.

The reaction of the other world leaders is critical.

We, the mug rump taxpayer WILL NOT RENEGE on the three year agreements made with the public sector.

If prices decline by 50%, their salaries will double in real terms, (before pay increases).

Meanwhile in the real world we will adapt to changing conditions or our jobs will vanish.

We, the mug rump taxpayer WILL NOT RENEGE on the three year agreements made with the public sector.

If prices decline by 50%, their salaries will double in real terms, (before pay increases).

Meanwhile in the real world we will adapt to changing conditions or our jobs will vanish.

Luckily we have Brown and Darling who understand how economics work.

If the tax base crumbles you can't pay out the wages, meaning you either cut jobs and/or wages.

Many in the public sector fail to realise that there pay has been overinflated because of the excesses and risks taken in the City. I didn't hear any public sector worker objecting about what the City was doing when times where good.

Many in the public sector fail to realise that there pay has been overinflated because of the excesses and risks taken in the City. I didn't hear any public sector worker objecting about what the City was doing when times where good.

This is an important point. The Salary Bubble is bursting now. Anyone with debt, currently being serviced by a "bubble salary", is gonna find it really tough.

The life Ive always wanted

I guess Ill never have

Ill be working for somebody else

Until Im in my grave

Ill be dreaming of a live of ease

And mountains

Oh mountains o things

To have a big expensive car

Drag my furs on the ground

And have a maid that I can tell

To bring me anything

Everyone will look at me with envy and with greed

Ill revel in their attention

And mountains

Oh mountains o things

Sweet lazy life

Champagne and caviar

I hope youll come and find me

Cause you know who we are

Those who deserve the best in life

And know what moneys worth

And those whose sole misfortune

Was having mountains o nothing at birth

Oh they tell me

Theres still time to save my soul

They tell me

Renounce all

Renounce all those material things you gained by

Exploiting other human beings

Consume more than you need

This is the dream

Make you pauper

Or make you queen

I wont die lonely

Ill have it all prearranged

A grave thats deep and wide enough

For me and all my mountains o things

Mostly I feel lonely

Good good people are

Good people are only

My stepping stones

Its gonna take all my mountains o things

To surround me

Keep all my enemies away

Keep my sadness and loneliness at bay

Ill be dreaming, dreaming...

Dreaming... GA_googleFillSlot("lyricsfreak-300x50-btf");

If we can get growth, if we can get unemployment down, if we can keep interest rates and inflation down, then there is scope to do the things we want to do, and that is to get money to the frontline services.

:blink: was he at least laughed at?

"If we can get growth, if we can get unemployment down, if we can keep interest rates and inflation down, then there is scope to do the things we want to do"

With all these 'if's we could put Paris in a bottle.

Do you get the feeling sometimes that if he can convince other leaders to do as he does, when it goes wrong he can at least say it wasn't just him?

The words 'it started in America' ring in my ears?

Nail on the head.

Brown is ******ed, no if, ands or buts about it. He's screwed, however that automatically makes us screwed too. This bubble was so large that he simply won't let it deflate, he can't. After all I've seen over the past year, I've come to two conclusions:

A.) He's either incredibly stupid

Or

B.) He's got his own agenda and his own friends to protect.

My guess is B.

There are lots of people who view debt the same as Brown.

An ex-girfriend of mine used to think that owing 4K on a credit card with a 10K limit meant that you had ASSETS of 6K to spend.

Repeat after me: a debt is not an asset. An "available overdraft" is not an asset. An outstanding mortgage is not an asset.

The closer we get to an election, the madder Brown is going to get when he realises the economy is not going to pick up and that he's going to lose in a landslide.

People better not forget, Brown was foisted on us by the Labour party. Thats the whole party to blame not just Brown.