House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wardpsych

Falling Rent Prices

The rates of Local Housing Allowance (LHA) are set monthly to cover an average rent for the area (excluding upmarket property). In most areas rents are now static or falling so LHA rates should follow the market down.

This is insane. So much money.

I rent a ridiculously nice 2 bed flat with my wife for £220 a week. Both me and my wife work full time to pay the rent and make ends meet. Although it seems if we were both unemployed (or whatever) we could get £240 a week benefit!

Bet we'd not pay council tax either.

This is Southwark, by the way, using the link provided by OP: https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARat...x?SearchType=LA

It needs to be noted that we both do love London but something is surely awry here?? :blink:

Please, anyone wanna explain?? Or dare justify the discrepancy? :ph34r:

I have to say from my point of view that there seems to be something to be said for LHA underpinning rents... So frustrating.

This is insane. So much money.

I rent a ridiculously nice 2 bed flat with my wife for £220 a week. Both me and my wife work full time to pay the rent and make ends meet. Although it seems if we were both unemployed (or whatever) we could get £240 a week benefit!

Bet we'd not pay council tax either.

This is Southwark, by the way, using the link provided by OP: https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARat...x?SearchType=LA

It needs to be noted that we both do love London but something is surely awry here?? :blink:

Please, anyone wanna explain?? Or dare justify the discrepancy? :ph34r:

I have to say from my point of view that there seems to be something to be said for LHA underpinning rents... So frustrating.

the productive are punished. simples.

Interesting site. Seems for the big towns in Scotland LHA rents for 2 bed flats have ALL increased over the last 12 months. During that same time rents have fallen perhaps 10-15% across the board.

Now why would local councils not be trying to get better value for money. :ph34r:

Local Housing allowance is falling as can be seen by checking on the lha website.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARat...x?SearchType=LA

For instance 2 bedroom flat inner south west london lha Jan 2009 £350 a week, now £300 a week.

ok, still mad prices but the start of a realistic market

Interesting website thanks! Duly bookmarked.

Local Housing allowance is falling as can be seen by checking on the lha website.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/LHARat...x?SearchType=LA

For instance 2 bedroom flat inner south west london lha Jan 2009 £350 a week, now £300 a week.

ok, still mad prices but the start of a realistic market

But Inner South East London has increased. I never understood the massive discrepancy any way.

Inner South East London £230.77 31 Jan 2009 01 Jan 2009

Inner South West London £350.00 31 Jan 2009 01 Jan 2009

Thats a difference of almost £500 a month!