House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Glass Half Full

We Have Never Seen Anything Like This

ah, but since the end of the 70s increasing the basic rate rate of income has been a political no-no....the Tories brought it down from 33% to 22% and Labour pledged to never increase it even though they've increase most other taxes.......apart from VAT which went up from 15% to 17.5% under the Tories so is ripe for a huge increase.........

Increasing VAT is far less visible than reducing people's takehome pay by income tax rises.............

On the one hand, I liked his comments about reducing the nanny state and gumment interference....

On the other hand, his comments about reshaping the way the country is run to allow more "private sector" influence left me feeling uncomfortable. We've seen what the private sector have done with basic infrastructure, like water and trains.

I need to think this through!

A thought that crossed my mind was the tories and labour play good cop / bad cop, and have been doing for decades, to allow an entirely different agenda to come to fruition....

...apart from VAT which went up from 15% to 17.5% under the Tories ...

I hate to say it, but that was after the Conservatives had raised the VAT rate from 8% to 15% on taking power in 1979 - an amazing 87.5% increase in the rate of VAT! (The pre-election promise had been 'not to raise income tax', so it was perfectly fair!) The least said about that action, the better. Especially at this 'delicate' time. :rolleyes:

Found myself agreeing with virtually every word he said.

Before we all get carried away with the political and economic brilliance of this man, perhaps we should just remind ourselves what an absolute disaster he was when at the head of the Conservative Party. Following his reign, the party has been out of power for longer than any of us would wish or have thought possible. Despite looking a lot more promising currently, perhaps the result of his poisoning of the relationship with the electorate could last a few more years.

Just to put his 1997 failure into context - the drop to 165 Conservative seats almost matched the low point of 157 achieved in 1906. Even Churchill managed to scrape together 213 Conservative seats at the 1945 massacre. Furthermore, Major also allowed his opponents to win a massive 419 seats in 1997 which even beat their previous record of 393 in 1945.

One more measure - how many seats, do you think, did the Donkey-Jacketted Michael Foot lead his party to in 1983? Two hundred and nine!

Please, please, don't quote John Major as if his words should carry some weight. They certainly don't with me. He is personally responsible for the last 12 years of New Labour and, God forbid, perhaps a lot more!

Please, please, don't quote John Major as if his words should carry some weight. They certainly don't with me. He is personally responsible for the last 12 years of New Labour and, God forbid, perhaps a lot more!

Such as peace in Northern Ireland?

Such as peace in Northern Ireland?

I'll certainly grant you that one. He had the guts to start talks with the terrorists, something that others had foolishly (and mistakenly) failed to do. And from that brave move, what is called 'peace in Northern Ireland', gradually came about.

I hate to say it, but that was after the Conservatives had raised the VAT rate from 8% to 15% on taking power in 1979 - an amazing 87.5% increase in the rate of VAT! (The pre-election promise had been 'not to raise income tax', so it was perfectly fair!) The least said about that action, the better. Especially at this 'delicate' time. :rolleyes:

Its the same this time. Labour have been on a massive spending binge, and the torries will have to take steps to pay it back. Its not their fault, I blame the people who voted Labour in three times and I hope they get hit hard by the steps to repair the damge. :lol:

Before we all get carried away with the political and economic brilliance of this man, perhaps we should just remind ourselves what an absolute disaster he was when at the head of the Conservative Party. Following his reign, the party has been out of power for longer than any of us would wish or have thought possible. Despite looking a lot more promising currently, perhaps the result of his poisoning of the relationship with the electorate could last a few more years.

Just to put his 1997 failure into context - the drop to 165 Conservative seats almost matched the low point of 157 achieved in 1906. Even Churchill managed to scrape together 213 Conservative seats at the 1945 massacre. Furthermore, Major also allowed his opponents to win a massive 419 seats in 1997 which even beat their previous record of 393 in 1945.

One more measure - how many seats, do you think, did the Donkey-Jacketted Michael Foot lead his party to in 1983? Two hundred and nine!

I met John Majour years ago whilst working as a waiter during a meeting he was having and also showing him to the meeting room.

He was extremly friendly, polite infact a true gent so I would take him over the current lot any day.

... I blame the people who voted Labour in three times and I hope they get hit hard ...

It's not just them that'll be hit hard if VAT is again increased by 87.5% ( to 33p in the pound from 17.5p!), we all will be.

I met John Majour years ago whilst working as a waiter during a meeting he was having and also showing him to the meeting room.

He was extremly friendly, polite infact a true gent so I would take him over the current lot any day.

I think you'll find that you've got 'the current lot' because of John Major. Unless there's someone else you can think of as being responsible for allowing them to succeed?

Edit: By 'current lot' I assumed you were speaking of the New Labour crowd. You weren't thinking of the current leadership of the Conservative party, were you?

Edited by a+b+c+d

The problem we have is a govt in power that is convinced it is best suited to fix the problems. It isn't.

Had the banks been allowed to go bust the crisis could have been worked through much faster.

Instead the govt choose to prop them up on top of a bloated public sector and now tax payers have to foot the bill.

Anyone with any sense will leave the country to do something else - anything - abroad ideally in the warmth of the sun.

The press certainly ripped into Major when he was Prime Minister. He was a politician who tried to get a consensus from his ministers, so he wasn't a leader in the way most of us want someone to follow. However the economy certainly became stronger and better balanced during his premiership. I always thought of him as a competent bank manager. Much as bank managers used to be in the days when I grew up.

I guess this forum is a microcosm of what will happen out there. Some people talk about Northern Ireland, some about Vat increases in the 70's. All trying to say "we are best" and put the other guy down. Nobody is talking about where we are what the solution is. It isn't a popularity contest, its an engineering problem and requires and engineering solution. Who implements it matters not. Showing that your favoured party is better does not get anything done.

The press certainly ripped into Major when he was Prime Minister. He was a politician who tried to get a consensus from his ministers, so he wasn't a leader in the way most of us want someone to follow. However the economy certainly became stronger and better balanced during his premiership. I always thought of him as a competent bank manager. Much as bank managers used to be in the days when I grew up.

Absolutely. Also, lets be fair, the tories were disintergrating from before Thatcher leaving office. The divisions were created giving Major a poisoned chalice to deal with. Unity was at an all time low and just like labour Mp's now, the tory Mp's had been in some time and whats the expression - power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely?

Spitting Image did a pretty good job of single handedly leaving Major as a laughing stock to the general public.

John-Major-toe.jpg

Edited by 3 Men In A Boat

I guess this forum is a microcosm of what will happen out there. Some people talk about Northern Ireland, some about Vat increases in the 70's. All trying to say "we are best" and put the other guy down. Nobody is talking about where we are what the solution is. It isn't a popularity contest, its an engineering problem and requires and engineering solution. Who implements it matters not. Showing that your favoured party is better does not get anything done.

central banks are the problem - my solution is to get rid of them

i can only think of one politician who has the same policy

He handed over a set of public finances to Nu Labia which have been thoroughly destroyed.

Couldn't agree with you more. But, the fact remains that John Major was at the helm when the Conservative Party hit the rocks and they still haven't recovered to this day. What you and I think is of no importance; it's what the voting public do that matters. He left a disaster. You may be happy with what happened but I'm certainly not!

decent man but naive.

do 21st century voters really want to be told that they face a very difficult choice between much higher taxes, much lower spending, or ruin?

i think they'd just rather government did something to prop up or ideally increase the market value of their properdee. relentless growth will steer us clear of any deficits soon enough.