House Price Crash Forum
naturals

What Business Would You Be Starting Right Now?

Dominos Pizza seem to be doing very well at the minute but franchise costs are £200k+.

The dragons from Dragon's Den are on radio and telly 247 saying right now is the best time to be in business in a generation but I'll be damned if I can figure out the businesses that are really thriving.

Dominos Pizza seem to be doing very well at the minute but franchise costs are £200k+.

The dragons from Dragon's Den are on radio and telly 247 saying right now is the best time to be in business in a generation but I'll be damned if I can figure out the businesses that are really thriving.

Auctions

Property developer?!

Banking - Seriously - If you don't have write downs that you have to take and are starting fresh - best profit margin for generations.

Edited as I failed to get the code right for the quote :blush:

Edited by Lennon

Even the car boot trades I've talked to seem to be doing badly.

Now, quantitative shitting and rate rigging are beginning to bear their sour dividends. Car sales - artificially pumped up and nowhere to go, if anything the manufacturers have raised their prices. Same goes for construction, falling again, the prices too high, reducing stock and reducing sales are going to deal another hammer blow to the secondary construction market - all the trades and with further knock-on effect household goods sales.

Those that have been gifted the free money (the debtors are paying down debt), those form whom it has been stolen have had 6 months or so to realise that they are going to have to cut back severely on their expenditure. The central bankers are attempting to spread the bankruptcy to as many as possible.

Any thought of buying into still outrageously overpriced commercial property (or leases) and rates is a potential recipe for disaster.

Insolvency practitioners, repo men (and ladies too :)) should do well. Loan sharks (Dragon's Den then).

Wait a bit 'til the sh1t has stopped the fan altogether then buy something someone else has put a lifetime's effort into for about one-third its true value.

Edited by non frog

Anything that involves signing a commercial lease seems suicidal to me. I reckon if you were to go into business though you should choose something that holds demand comparatively well even in bad times, a funeral parlour maybe.

scrap gold.... <_< but dont get caught with the scales...you could end up serving a few years for it.. :lol:

Edited by geoffk

Repo man.

Anti-depressant manufacturer.

Divorce lawyer.

Purveyor of get-rich-quick scheme.

Any generic ideas you will get on an internet forum will be rubbish. Sure I have good ideas, but I'd only give you them if I wasn't doing them myself :P

And yes the dragons are right, people will finally get their head out their arses and care about quality rather than being the shallow creatures obsessed with brands that they are at the moment.

if we see a long term economic shift away from consumption and towards production, not forced by govt policy or anything, just basic economics of the £ and UK salaries becoming lower internationally, hence allowing us to compete in globally manufactured goods, then the following, all gleaned from Peter Schiff and Jim Rogers:

- shipping

- farming (especially since clinmate getting warmer - ie French champagne houses are buying up land in SE of England for vineyards)

- IT - demand for skills to improve efficiency of production

, just basic economics of the £ and UK salaries becoming lower internationally, hence allowing us to compete in globally manufactured goods

Pipe dream, the rich and powerful would rather let us rot than compete as has been happening. Things will only get worse. All comes down to the strict planning laws making living costs too high here.

No way we can compete with a factory where the workers live in the same place, as here there would be a planning law to stop it. Our only option is the overpriced brown field land which is very scarce. We are being engineered to either be poor slaves or worse.

Alternative energy technology and energy-saving technology have a bright future. Regardless of climate change or otherwise, fossil fuels are going to get scarcer and more expensive over time.

Guest sillybear2
- IT - demand for skills to improve efficiency of production

Also anything related to implementing the nuts and bolts of a police state once the elites realise the country is ungovernable without the sort of apparatus used in Iran etc, so there will be countless projects related to mass surveillance, the tracking of vehicle movements, networked cctv, ID cards, communication intercepts, tax enforcement, mass jailing and 'tagging' of malcontents.

Basically if you have a system or idea to counter the freedom of speech, a free press, freedom of movement, freedom of conscience or peoples' right to protest then you're onto a winner and will have a guaranteed buyer. Electronic voting machines will probably become 'popular' too, for all the wrong reasons.

I forgot to add, printing presses and wood pulp will probably be highly in demand too.

Edited by sillybear2

Also anything related to implementing the nuts and bolts of a police state once the elites realise the country is ungovernable without the sort of apparatus used in Iran etc, so there will be countless projects related to mass surveillance, the tracking of vehicle movements, networked cctv, ID cards, communication intercepts, tax enforcement, mass jailing and 'tagging' of malcontents.

Basically if you have a system or idea to counter the freedom of speech, a free press, freedom of movement, freedom of conscience or peoples' right to protest then you're onto a winner and will have a guaranteed buyer. Electronic voting machines will probably become 'popular' too, for all the wrong reasons.

I forgot to add, printing presses and wood pulp will probably be highly in demand too.

ooooh you cynic

After surviving two rounds of restructuring (i.e. redundancies) I fear the spectre of unemployment will soon catch up with me.

Going alone maybe the eventual solution. Something that gets rid of dust.........

So thats a different Big Brother that whats on the telly now then?

Guest sillybear2
ooooh you cynic

You know I'm right. The purpose of power is to eternally maintain power, by force alone if necessary, the end justifies the means.

So thats a different Big Brother that whats on the telly now then?

Yes, nearly the same but without the voting opportunities. The prisoner's dilemma element of the confession room is interesting, that could be adapted so other people get the bullet if you tell BB what he needs to know.

Edited by sillybear2

You know I'm right. The purpose of power is to eternally maintain power, by force alone if necessary, the end justifies the means.

Quite:

"The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. ........ We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin to understand me?

A business that sells informational products or intellectual property acroos the world (via internet). Getting paid in foreign currencies is good if the £ devalues. Something like software would be good where you can get support revenue too.

A business that sells informational products or intellectual property acroos the world (via internet). Getting paid in foreign currencies is good if the £ devalues. Something like software would be good where you can get support revenue too.

Also farming as a business I think would be a good hedge against hyper inflation. Then you always have the option to go into energy crops and if you get very very lucky you or your children may get some planning permission to build some houses on your land one day.