House Price Crash Forum
US Citizen

Hyper-inflation In Thailand Caused By Ex-pats

I will shortly be returning to Northern Thailand in 2 weeks for another 6 months. I have made my brass in the UK and can now look forward to doing beggar all in a Thai Village for 6 whole months (raining season or not).

However, in recent year as many as 20,000 Brits have followed me back. I cant even go for a drink in a bar in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai without some jolly ex-pat offering to buy me a bear, of course I accept.

The problem is i'm a tight barsteward and dont like to pay too much for anything, I feel it spoils the natives to give them too much, but that is precisely what is happening.

Hyperinflation is upon me. For instance, to get my pool cleaned used to cost 300 THB now its a 1000 THB. A weekly shop at the Rimp Ping supermarket 4000 THB now cost 10,000 THB.

If you are wanting to retire or become an ex-pat in Thailand, especially the Nothern Towns and Cities, then for Christ Sake haggle with the natives !!!

Otherwise please consider somewhere like Turkey or Spain. Thank you.

I will shortly be returning to Northern Thailand in 2 weeks for another 6 months. I have made my brass in the UK and can now look forward to doing beggar all in a Thai Village for 6 whole months (raining season or not).

However, in recent year as many as 20,000 Brits have followed me back. I cant even go for a drink in a bar in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai without some jolly ex-pat offering to buy me a bear, of course I accept.

The problem is i'm a tight barsteward and dont like to pay too much for anything, I feel it spoils the natives to give them too much, but that is precisely what is happening.

Hyperinflation is upon me. For instance, to get my pool cleaned used to cost 300 THB now its a 1000 THB. A weekly shop at the Rimp Ping supermarket 4000 THB now cost 10,000 THB.

If you are wanting to retire or become an ex-pat in Thailand, especially the Nothern Towns and Cities, then for Christ Sake haggle with the natives !!!

Thats the market

so a weekly shop in a Thai supermarket costs 10,000 Baht?? :o .........i make that just under £200 !.......about 6 times what i spend here at ASDA

So in that case the inflation is probably being caused not so much by expats as an unsustainable growth in the indigenous population (or at least, half and half, if the expats are one half of the equation...).

I have ten of my friends out there.They all work in the oil industry and use it as a base.

Every one of them have got divorced and enjoy the life out there but tell me that prices are rising fast

Some people living off interest are struggling..one is up north on the border and he has had his own house built there...meanwhile i am sat here at the age of 46 retired and waiting for my 12 years old to grown up before i can get my traveling boots on again.....lifes not fair.. :lol:

Guest sillybear2

Thank god somebody banned Mr Parry, he's probably too busy with the lady boys to post here anyway :P

Thats the market

Indeed, and the OP is introducing additional pool-cleaning demand and expanding the money supply with his foreign-earned dosh.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

That's the trouble with letting the proletariat travel, they have no idea of the perils of devaluing currencies.

Parry's probably been spending too much on whores.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Guest sillybear2
That's the trouble with letting the proletariat travel, they have no idea of the perils of devaluing currencies.

I agree, look, he hasn't denied it!

Less risk of infection that way, I suppose, but let's face it, it's not really satisfying.

Guest sillybear2
Less risk of infection that way, I suppose, but let's face it, it's not really satisfying.

Why did he self-ban himself for 30 days again? And is HPC the only establishment to have done that?

Edited by sillybear2

So how much is a soapy these days?

so a weekly shop in a Thai supermarket costs 10,000 Baht?? :o .........i make that just under £200 !.......about 6 times what i spend here at ASDA

Fix : Not 10,000 per week, I meant per month.

Is that your place in the avatar?.....looks nice

Yes, bought it in 2006. For £65,000. Only Thai's can own land, or I would have bought it earlier. (Before Marriage).

Edited by debt-free

I have ten of my friends out there.They all work in the oil industry and use it as a base.

Every one of them have got divorced and enjoy the life out there but tell me that prices are rising fast

Some people living off interest are struggling..one is up north on the border and he has had his own house built there...meanwhile i am sat here at the age of 46 retired and waiting for my 12 years old to grown up before i can get my traveling boots on again.....lifes not fair.. :lol:

Theres a cold beer waiting for you, when you visit The Lions Inn near the night bazaar in Chiang Mai. Just PM me.

A weekly shop at the Rimp Ping supermarket 4000 THB now cost 10,000 THB.

Rimping supermarkets are very expensive....me and the missus only buy imported stuff not available at the outdoor market....HP sauce, steak, foreign wine etc. Everything else is bought in the market...fruit, veg, chicken, fish etc. is less than 1/4 of the price of Rimping.

................and you can haggle with the natives in the market, try that in Rimping supermarket and you won't get very far.