House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Expats' Paradise Lost In New Zealand's Jobs Crisis - Just Weeks After It Was Named Best Place To Make A Fresh Start

Only a few weeks ago, New Zealand was identified as the best place for British expats to make a fresh start.

It didn't take long for the accolade to wear thin.

If you're on a temporary work permit, you're only supposed to be in the country because there's a lack of local people able to do the jobs; so you can't really complain when you're kicked out because the employment situation changes.

Jobless foreigners risk losing their work visas and having to return to Britain, with some accusing the New Zealand government of pursuing a 'jobs for Kiwis' policy. A migrant assistance group, created by two Britons who emigrated nine years ago, has infuriated the government by issuing a pamphlet that claims the attitude of officials is: 'We've taken your money, used your skills, now b****r off!' Mike Bell, of the Move2NZ group, said: 'We are seeing families who have worked here years being effectively kicked out in two weeks.

New Zealand jobs for New Zealand workers.

Only a few weeks ago, New Zealand was identified as the best place for British expats to make a fresh start.

The dreams of hundreds

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...resh-start.html

Godzone country. :lol:

Very Swiss of them.

In fact this is the the most honest thing I've heard from an NZ politico. They have a loathsome habit of adopting the moral high ground about everything, this is naked, honest self-interest.

Maybe we should empty out Earls Court, that'd give them a wee unemployment problem.

The dreams of hundreds

Stupid thing is, if the UK government put the natives first like the Kiwis are doing the thought of leaving may well have never crossed their minds in the first place.

Funny how nations like New Zealand can get rid of surplus Poms...(those who are still on temporary visas) but we have no means of reversing eastern European immigration here

Funny how nations like New Zealand can get rid of surplus Poms...(those who are still on temporary visas) but we have no means of reversing eastern European immigration here

nah - you just don't WANT to as you see Borscht as sophistication

Edited by Si1

Yeah, but you joined the common market and bought butter from Europe in the sixties. That's intergration for you.

UK work permits allow the holder to apply for settlement after 5 years - they were 159,000 non-EU work permits issued last year - mainly sponsored by large corporations seeking IT workers and the like .

This is a bit of non story isn't it?

"Temporary Visas Expire Shock Horror!!"

The Kiwis, and the Aussies, and the Canadians, have been cherry-picking for years. What's the news?

As a recent migrant to NZ one thing that's amused me is that, because I had to prove that I'm solvent, healthy and don't have a criminal record before they let me in, many people I meet here automatically assume that, as a recent migrant, I'm solvent, healthy and don't have a criminal record

which isn't quite how things work out for many recent migrants into the UK

Got to love the pictures that accompany the Mail article and the vast empty beaches and huge colonial-style mansions that await Brits looking for a fresh start in Paradise

Anyone who expects that to be waiting for them is asking to be just a little disappointed

Here in Christhchurch, house prices have reached income multiples greater than even in the UK and an awful lot of people are relying on credit to get them by. Wages are lower in the UK, yet I can pick up Kiwi produce in a Tescos in Lambeth cheaper than in New Zealand. Drafty old Kiwi houses have been knocked down wholesale and replaced with close-packed slave hutches as grim as anything I've seen in the UK

It's a great place to be if you've got reasonable expectations but Paradise it is not

There's no running away from what's happening to the world IMHO

Edited by Charlton Peston

The Kiwis, and the Aussies, and the Canadians, have been cherry-picking for years. What's the news?

As a recent migrant to NZ one thing that's amused me is that, because I had to prove that I'm solvent, healthy and don't have a criminal record before they let me in, many people I meet here automatically assume that, as a recent migrant, I'm solvent, healthy and don't have a criminal record

Got to love the pictures that accompany the Mail article and the vast empty beaches and huge colonial-style mansions that await Brits looking for a fresh start in Paradise

Anyone who expects that to be waiting for them is asking to be just a little disappointed

Here in Christhchurch, house prices have reached income multiples greater than even in the UK and an awful lot of people are relying on credit to get them by. Wages are lower in the UK, yet I can pick up Kiwi produce in a Tescos in Lambeth cheaper than in New Zealand. Drafty old Kiwi houses have been knocked down wholesale and replaced with close-packed slave hutches as grim as anything I've seen in the UK

It's a great place to be if you've got reasonable expectations but Paradise it is not

If you replaced the words Brisbane for Christchurch and Australia for New Zealand it is exactly the same story here. The only blot on our relatively happy migration experience is house prices. They are nearly as crazy as the UK but look less likely to change over the short term as the Aussie government is not bankrupt yet and seems hell bent on spunking it's remaining surplus keeping the residential property market afloat.

It isnt a bed of roses but it is a good place to be

It isnt a bed of roses but it is a good place to be

I recently married a Kiwi in Auckland. Neither of us want to live there just at the moment. The pay is rubbish, property is expensive and it's way too quiet for our liking. So we're emigrating to Canada instead where the pay is rubbish, property is expensive and...oh ******** :)

I recently married a Kiwi in Auckland. Neither of us want to live there just at the moment. The pay is rubbish, property is expensive and it's way too quiet for our liking. So we're emigrating to Canada instead where the pay is rubbish, property is expensive and...oh ******** :)

:lol::lol::lol: You should try South Island

The dreams of hundreds who left for a better life on the other side of the world are now turning into nightmares.

The expats face losing their jobs and being kicked out of the country because of the credit crunch and what is said to be a major shift in policy by the New Zealand government.

With unemployment at a six-year high of 5 per cent of the population of 4,300,000, tough economic times have led to jobs going to native New Zealanders first.

One reason is the decision by Kiwis who have lost jobs overseas to return and seek work at home.

Employment minister Paula Bennett says more than 3,000 of the 26,000 who returned last year ended up on benefits.

Jobless foreigners risk losing their work visas and having to return to Britain, with some accusing the New Zealand government of pursuing a 'jobs for Kiwis' policy.

A migrant assistance group, created by two Britons who emigrated nine years ago, has infuriated the government by issuing a pamphlet that claims the attitude of officials is: 'We've taken your money, used your skills, now b****r off!' Mike Bell, of the Move2NZ group, said: 'We are seeing families who have worked here years being effectively kicked out in two weeks.

'Many have existing jobs or offers of work in areas listed by immigration as being in dire shortage. Employers are tearing their hair out as there's nothing they can do.'

Some 20,000 skilled Britons went to New Zealand to work in 2008. They were given visas allowing them to take jobs and apply for permanent residency after two years.

A sign of things to come around the globe?

Edited by interestrateripoff

New Zealand jobs for New Zealand workers think I have heard something similar here in the UK, maybe they didn't really mean it just like our very own Gordo

Edited by papag

Unless like my expat sister and her husband you live in Paradise (station), near Glenorchy, near Queenstown in Otago!

;)

While there's no doubting that things are tough for expats all over the world (the ones who need to work especially) at the moment, there seem to be rather a lot of these scare stories in the newspapers lately. You might be tempted to read between the lines and see the real agenda. Don't you wealthy, educated, middle class people dare leave the country before we've been able to tax you until the pips squeak! :angry:

While there's no doubting that things are tough for expats all over the world (the ones who need to work especially) at the moment, there seem to be rather a lot of these scare stories in the newspapers lately. You might be tempted to read between the lines and see the real agenda. Don't you wealthy, educated, middle class people dare leave the country before we've been able to tax you until the pips squeak! :angry:

NZ is to be honest a pretty hard sell .. Beautiful .. but VERY VERY boring ..

Godzone country. :lol:

Very Swiss of them.

In fact this is the the most honest thing I've heard from an NZ politico. They have a loathsome habit of adopting the moral high ground about everything, this is naked, honest self-interest.

Maybe we should empty out Earls Court, that'd give them a wee unemployment problem.

I read somewhere that the Kiwi's were one of the highest paid in the UK. They do a lot of lawyer jobs here.

If you replaced the words Brisbane for Christchurch and Australia for New Zealand it is exactly the same story here. The only blot on our relatively happy migration experience is house prices. They are nearly as crazy as the UK but look less likely to change over the short term as the Aussie government is not bankrupt yet and seems hell bent on spunking it's remaining surplus keeping the residential property market afloat.

What is it about Brisbanites and pavements? They simply wont make room, and try to walk right through you :angry:

Its really starting to tick me off.