House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flatdog

My Aged Aunt

Visited my aged Aunt ( as one does) recently...she was somewhat unsettled by a letter that she had received from HM Revenue and Customs which stated in 'legalees' speak that she was required to pay immediately the sum of £1600,00 to HMRC for incorrect allowances in the tax period 2003 to 2007....

My Aunt retired over twenty years ago.

The document suggested that advice from a professional adviser or agent should be sought if there was any disagreement with the notice.

'That is a bit odd'..thought I...and guess what...on Saturday morning I received a similar letter from HMRC, totally unrelated to my Aunt, but advising that a previous employer (2001- 2006) had not paid National Insurance class 1a contributions amounting to £1580-00 in respect of...

:unsure:

Has anyone else on here had similarly worrying letters from HMRC recently?

Just use the letter to wipe your bum with, then send it back to them. ;)

Hahaha. I think we will see more of these letters henceforth.

Just use the letter to wipe your bum with, then send it back to them. ;)

Have to say, after going back through our records, worrying/feeling disquieted over this weekend (why do these letters always arrive in the Saturday morning post?)...I had decided upon a similar course of action :P

Hahaha. I think we will see more of these letters henceforth.

Well..neither Mrs GS or I are short of common sense..but this letter from HMRC was not much fun to read on a Saturday morning :lol:

So...are we starting to witness the gummint grasping at straws?

Guest skullingtonjoe
(why do these letters always arrive in the Saturday morning post?)...

Designed to fu<k up your weekend and have you fretting about it during your free time. If it was a weekday - when you`ve got little inconveniences like work to get in your way - you`d probably be less inclined to worry and you would be able to try and take action to resolve the matter as they would be at work too. During the weekend there`s nothing you can do except worry. Wouldn`t surprise me if the fu<kers also put `pay up your taxes or die`-type adverts on a Saturday night just to big up the suffering a little bit more. Sick! :angry:

HMRC are sadistic bastards. Just look what they did to `Riviera` Ray Woolley! :P:rolleyes::unsure::lol:

Basically, HMRC are the Queen's Mafia, they have just evolved more than the Russian Mafia.

However, HMRC can be got rid of using the usual technique, i.e. not rolling over and playing dead.

Designed to fu<k up your weekend and have you fretting about it during your free time. If it was a weekday - when you`ve got little inconveniences like work to get in your way - you`d probably be less inclined to worry and you would be able to try and take action to resolve the matter as they would be at work too. During the weekend there`s nothing you can do except worry. Wouldn`t surprise me if the fu<kers also put `pay up your taxes or die`-type adverts on a Saturday night just to big up the suffering a little bit more. Sick! :angry:

HMRC are sadistic bastards. Just look what they did to `Riviera` Ray Woolley! :P:rolleyes::unsure::lol:

:lol: ...Cool...that is the way that we see it....have nevertheless had a less than relaxing weekend.

Designed to fu<k up your weekend and have you fretting about it during your free time.

As Mr Burns said to Homer, "I have some bad news for you but I don't want to spoil your weekend so I will tell you on Monday"

Basically, HMRC are the Queen's Mafia, they have just evolved more than the Russian Mafia.

However, HMRC can be got rid of using the usual technique, i.e. not rolling over and playing dead.

Queen's or Gordo's Harry?

Is there really any difference?

Here is a thought...

In these days of Health and Safety, EU (groan) regs et al....

What are the chances of a request for recompense for disquiet resulting from a worrying letter from HMRC being sought :lol:

'That is a bit odd'..thought I...and guess what...on Saturday morning I received a similar letter from HMRC, totally unrelated to my Aunt, but advising that a previous employer (2001- 2006) had not paid National Insurance class 1a contributions amounting to £1580-00 in respect of...

:unsure:

Has anyone else on here had similarly worrying letters from HMRC recently?

I have recieved such letter advsing me that my employer had not paid my NI contributions between 2006-2007. I looked at my P45 or is it P60? (stupid codes :angry: ) for the mentioned year and showed that I/my employer did.

I just photocopied the P...thingy and sent it to them. 2 months later I got a letter back from them saying that they had recieved my photocopy and it had been corrected on the system and have nothing to worry about.

My uncle also had one of these letters and was promply corrected.

What the hell was that about?????

Do they not check in the first place?

Do the offices within HMRC not communicate with each other?

This worries me greatly especially. I believe the system they currently have in place is so fragile it's close to collapse - I hope it does to show how useless the current government really is (but we already know that, Don't we?).

Cheers

Never , ever, call them, only write and send it registered.

Edit: to stay on topic they (HMRC) sent me a demand for a complete total (including NI) of £7,600 on the day I was moving house.

Phoning had previously wiped this debt and offered a refund!, eventually writing they agreed it was not excess earnings

and cleared it with a letter stating I didn't owe anything but refused to refund as "the telephone operatives would never

have said what they did".

I also called them up in import Tarrifs on machinery and they gave me the complete wrong Taric code resulting in a massive duty bill and paperwork.

Again, never, ever, call them up on the phone.

Edited by Tom Peters

I have recieved such letter advsing me that my employer had not paid my NI contributions between 2006-2007. I looked at my P45 or is it P60? (stupid codes :angry: ) for the mentioned year and showed that I/my employer did.

I just photocopied the P...thingy and sent it to them. 2 months later I got a letter back from them saying that they had recieved my photocopy and it had been corrected on the system and have nothing to worry about.

My uncle also had one of these letters and was promply corrected.

What the hell was that about?????

Do they not check in the first place?

Do the offices within HMRC not communicate with each other?

This worries me greatly especially. I believe the system they currently have in place is so fragile it's close to collapse - I hope it does to show how useless the current government really is (but we already know that, Don't we?).

Cheers

You are GUILTY until you prove your innocence. HMRC employes need to justify their jobs and pensions.

Get used to it or leave. :ph34r:

Guest skullingtonjoe

I prefer the Russian Mafia - at least they haven`t got some old renky skank as head of state! :rolleyes:;):lol:

I bet their are hundreds of thousands of office contractors who won't have a leg to stand on when the revenue get to issung IR60 demands.

Most of my mates on contract think they are home and dry simply by having their accountant run the rule over the contract, however, a brief look at the definitions suggests to every single one of them should be paying PAYE equivalent. Most of them think tax is something that only permanent employees pay!

As a PAYE numpty I'd prefer to see all of them pay their fair share before the next government come in and ask me for an extra 5 percent income tax.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Here is a thought...

What are the chances of a request for recompense for disquiet resulting from a worrying letter from HMRC being sought :lol:

Go to your GP and say you think you`ve got Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (btw I do realise that PTSD is a real condition and I`m not really trying to make light of it) ;)

Yeah I got one demanding £500. I've paid it to save the hassle now I'll try and get it back :(

Err.....Good luck.

The Mafia: "Hello this is HMRC my name is Gordon. How can I help you?" (had a scottish accent somewhat).

You: "Hi, I proved that I did not owe £500 in the first place. Could I have my money back please."

The Mafia: "What money is that then?"

You: "The money I sent you to pay off the demand where I did not need to."

The Mafia: "Don't know what you're talking about".

You: "You...You know the money I sent you can I have it back?"

The Mafia: "We have not recieved a penny from you. I must go I have other callers on the line. Have a wonderful wee day day".

Cos' they can.

I've mentioned a few times about the HMRC and they are completely incompetent.

I've had the same thing a couple of years ago, where they demanded all the tax in a complete year. My P60 plus pay slips corrected this. They have also forgot to deduct my health benefit for 5 years, and forgot to tell the student loans company of my repayments - and that's just me.

A member of my family has had worse (self employed), just as a demand for tax just before a 3 week holiday. Paid and claimed it back... but the real corker was writing to my parents estate that my dad is now deceased - that involved solicitors that one did!

Here is a thought...

some. if the letter was sent in error you can claim a considerable sum in undue stress, depression, loss of job etc.