House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Chair Coggling

Guest skullingtonjoe

Hi

Chair coggling: you know, where you pushed the chair back while sitting on it, so only the back two legs were touching the ground and you sometimes balanced not to fall back. Teachers / parents / Health & Safety Officers - yes I`ve seen examples of `coggling` at work! - told you not to `coggle the chair`.

I`ve just done a google search and nothing to be found on `coggling`! Any ideas or am I wrong about this totally trivial Sunday afternoon filler?

According to this (coggle it has something to do with w&nking, so am I jerking the chair off if I lean back while sitting on it?

I found this when I typed `chair abuse` in google: http://www.fafarazzi.com/gossip/547979/Chair-f u c k e r (does that mean that chair-fu<king is a fetish!?) How do you fu<k a chair?

I found this on `leaning back in a chair`:chair leaning

Nothing at all on `coggling your chair` though.

Anyone else had experience of `chair coggling`?

Guest skullingtonjoe
Never heard of that term. Perhaps it is just you.

What?! You calling me a chair fu<ker? :lol:

If this were a joke, there'd be tumble weed rolling by. :P

I've never heard of the phrase chair coggling either.

I've certainly not heard it refered to as "coggling", although the sport itself is something in which I indulged whilst at school. The knack was to balance the chair (plastic orange seat, metal legs, fart hole at rear, pupils for the use of) on the rear two legs without, erm, spectacularly failing to balance on the rear two legs. It was certainly pretty common in the 80s, and the standard mode of failure (falling off the back and hitting your head hard on floor \ wall \ desk behind) goes a fair way to explaining Labour's 1997 election victory.

I've certainly not heard it refered to as "coggling", although the sport itself is something in which I indulged whilst at school. The knack was to balance the chair (plastic orange seat, metal legs, fart hole at rear, pupils for the use of) on the rear two legs without, erm, spectacularly failing to balance on the rear two legs. It was certainly pretty common in the 80s, and the standard mode of failure (falling off the back and hitting your head hard on floor \ wall \ desk behind) goes a fair way to explaining Labour's 1997 election victory.

Don't encourage him.

Guest skullingtonjoe

Exactly. Pure class ;)

Guest skullingtonjoe
If this were a joke, there'd be tumble weed rolling by. :P

I've never heard of the phrase chair coggling either.

:rolleyes:;):blink::unsure:<_< :angry: ;):lol::rolleyes:

It was referred to as keddling when I was a nipper. Based on my mothers place of birth I hypothesise that may be Lancastrian terminology

Guest skullingtonjoe
It was referred to as keddling when I was a nipper. Based on my mothers place of birth I hypothesise that may be Lancastrian terminology

Ah didn`t know that - so it may well be the case that `coggling` (it sounds like it came from Yorkshire way), may have filtered throughout the country. To trace its etymology I had a look here: http://www.etymonline.com

Nothing came up for `keddle, keddling, coggle, coggling`, so I can only assume that these words have not made it into the lexicon of etymology. Some entries came up for `coggle` when I typed it into google, but nothing for `keddle`.

It would appear that `coggle` is a generally-recognised term for masturbation. Keddling has not shown up in any dictionary searches, nor indeed on google in any meaningful context.

Might I suggest that you have introduced a new term into the English language and you should seriously consider entering this term into the Oxford / Cambridge English Dictionary:

Check this: `Have you spotted a new word you'd like to tell Oxford Dictionaries about? Just email us with the word and a brief explanation of what it means, and if possible, where you came across it, to askoxford@oup.com.`

This could well be an HPC first and would put the favourite past-time of all `80s brats back on the map. Instead of stabbing each other, perhaps the `yoof` of today could devote their energies to the fine art of coggling / keddling.

I`m sure this new word entry would be featured on BBC News and could lead to a wave of `copycat coggling/keddling`.

Best of all - it would really pi$$ teachers off (the tossers), and cause a nightmare for Health and Safety.

Let me know if you`re going to enter this as I feel it is a worthwhile endeavour. ;)

Never heard of it being given a name but it was common back in the day and I always lent back at greater than 45 degree angles. Think I only fell backwards once but had many close calls.

These plastic bucket seats tend to be built so its really hard to do, intentionally I reckon. The best chairs are the ones made out of steel piping and 2 pieces of wood.

I used to love reaching forward to the desk in front of me when someone else was leaning back and then do a quick couple-inch pull-back on the chair. Enough to make them squirm in surprise!

It was always hilarious when someone would fall back and there would be a huge almighty slam, embarrassment and copious laughter all-round!

btw there was some classic British film in late 80s/early 90s where a chap was leaning back in the chair behind a desk and fell down but kept on going. It was unintentional but it worked so they kept it in.

Guest skullingtonjoe
Never heard of it being given a name but it was common back in the day and I always lent back at greater than 45 degree angles. Think I only fell backwards once but had many close calls.

These plastic bucket seats tend to be built so its really hard to do, intentionally I reckon. The best chairs are the ones made out of steel piping and 2 pieces of wood.

I used to love reaching forward to the desk in front of me when someone else was leaning back and then do a quick couple-inch pull-back on the chair. Enough to make them squirm in surprise!

It was always hilarious when someone would fall back and there would be a huge almighty slam, embarrassment and copious laughter all-round!

btw there was some classic British film in late 80s/early 90s where a chap was leaning back in the chair behind a desk and fell down but kept on going. It was unintentional but it worked so they kept it in.

I really hope that `keddling` will make it into the dictionaries. An angle of more than 45 degrees is impressive, (I can imagine you had to lean forward big time to compensate for the upper body `drag`).

The steel piping chairs were good as the metal had some flexibility. In fact that should be part of the `official` `keddling` specification. It would also be possible to have a `wooden` league for traditionalists in much the same way as you`d have a grass / clay court for tennis.

The best thing is that it was a good way of indicating the general boredom / feelings of malaise that always accompanied irrelevant lessons delivered by incompetent teachers (good training for adulthood I guess!) :rolleyes:

If nobody confirms today, then I`m going to put `keddling` up as a candidate to be entered into the Oxford English Dictionary! ;)