House Price Crash Forum
self

So, When Does Lloyds Go Down?

Ok, over the past month or so I've seen info on this site that suggests that Lloyds are screwed. The evidence:

- HBOS having 80% or their entire mortgage loans consisting of liar loans.

- Lloyds being the most exposed to the U.S Alt-A market with £7 billion exposure and HBOS with £6.75 billion exposure.

So... The perfect storm?

Its OK, everything's fine, nothing to worry about. Because we the taxpayers own 65% of Lloyds. Sure has got to be bargain of the year. Glad to see the 40% of every day I spend working to pay tax is being well spent on such surefire investment opportunities as Lloyds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...ayer-short.html

UK PLC is going down, down, down.....................

Gordon generously capped their downside at 10%.

We take the hit on anything over that.

Still, I wouldn't discount further re-capitalisation and equity dilution. They can only rape their customers for so long before there aren't any left to pay them.

The market is definetly concerned. The share price is staying very depressed (less than 70p) considering that they are the largest banking group in the UK.

Ok, over the past month or so I've seen info on this site that suggests that Lloyds are screwed. The evidence:

- HBOS having 80% or their entire mortgage loans consisting of liar loans.

- Lloyds being the most exposed to the U.S Alt-A market with £7 billion exposure and HBOS with £6.75 billion exposure.

So... The perfect storm?

hmmm... not to sure where you have been, but the points you have noted are old news and already reflected in the share price.

Its not to say further fall are not likely with regards to the next leg down in the housing market, but your post is pointless... unless you drafted it 12 months ago and felt now would be the time to enlighten us.

:unsure:

hmmm... not to sure where you have been, but the points you have noted are old news and already reflected in the share price.

Its not to say further fall are not likely with regards to the next leg down in the housing market, but your post is pointless... unless you drafted it 12 months ago and felt now would be the time to enlighten us.

:unsure:

I read on here about the fact that HBOS had 80% of their mortgage loans through liar loans just a few weeks ago. And I read in the February edition of money week the amount of Alt A exposure they had. Not exactly 12 months ago is it really? Also, until they admit these loses, I doubt it's reflected in their share price.

I read on here about the fact that HBOS had 80% of their mortgage loans through liar loans just a few weeks ago. And I read in the February edition of money week the amount of Alt A exposure they had. Not exactly 12 months ago is it really? Also, until they admit these loses, I doubt it's reflected in their share price.

Part/most of Lloyds losses are capped to the first 10%. The taxpayer gets to pay the rest. Makes you wonder who has really been bailed out here - russian oligarchs, caribbean hedge funds, speculative investors from all over the world who bought HBOS toilet paper.

I didn't know about this 10% cap.

Fraud. They pay over a few billion knowing that £10's if not £100 bn's are to be sucked up by the taxpayer.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/07/news/inter....reut/index.htm

U.K. to get up to 77% of Lloyds

British government agrees to cap bank's losses at $370 billion in latest bailout move.

LONDON (Reuters) -- Britain will get a stake of up to 77% in Lloyds Banking Group after agreeing a deal to cap its losses at £260 billion ($370 billion) of risky assets, the struggling bank said Saturday.

Lloyds will pay a £15.6 billion fee to participate in the deal, and will take the "first loss" of up to £25 billion on the assets. Thereafter, the government will assume 90% of any losses on the value of the assets.

Part/most of Lloyds losses are capped to the first 10%. The taxpayer gets to pay the rest. Makes you wonder who has really been bailed out here - russian oligarchs, caribbean hedge funds, speculative investors from all over the world who bought HBOS toilet paper.

and look whos doing the bailout.

firemen, police officers, office worker, manual labourers, teachers, engneers, sales people.

ordinary people bailing out the world elite ???

weird isnt it.

I've been worrying about Lloyds recently because their customer service / admin has become dysfunctional

Account closed by accident.

DD not cancelled by accident.

Inaccurate information supplied by accident.

Edited by gruffydd

Guest absolutezero
Its OK, everything's fine, nothing to worry about. Because we the taxpayers own 65% of Lloyds. Sure has got to be bargain of the year. Glad to see the 40% of every day I spend working to pay tax is being well spent on such surefire investment opportunities as Lloyds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...ayer-short.html

UK PLC is going down, down, down.....................

Serious question.

Why bother earning enough to fall into the higher tax bracket?

They made a quality comment when they took over HBOS

‘HBOS’s 2008 results have been adversely affected by the impact of market dislocation, which accelerated significantly in the last quarter of 2008, and the additional impairments required on the HBOS corporate lending portfolios. These impairments primarily reflect the application of a more conservative recognition of risk and the further deterioration in the economic environment.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/05/07...mpaired-lloyds/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...ss-1608809.html

HBOS were far worse than Lloyds, they just put every forecast and valuation to the max and pretended

nothing was going wrong while awarding bonus after bonus.

"Imagine Homes" with Grant Bovey was just one of their "optimistic" investments

Edit: removed double quote

Edited by Tom Peters