House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cockrobin

John Major Telling Us How It Is

Guest KingCharles1st
Yes listening now.

Would he do better than cameron?

Possibly- but it would take Edwina's memoirs, with many references to nights of hot wet sex with an overendowed high octane donkey equipped stallion of simmering heat....

If Hello came out with an exclusive that he "trained" the Spice Girls, then I should he would get the entire female vote

Someone talking sense for once!

The most frank and best interview that has been aired in the UK since the crisis began.

The cogs are turning and the people in the background can not rely on the current Government to do what is necessary.

Has the Labour Party learned nothing from the 10 years? If you borrow, spend and save nothing, everything turns bad!

I wonder if any Labour MP's were watching and if so, what they thought? They probably thought it disgusting that someone should talk down the economy on national TV!

He's wearing pink socks!

:lol: but they do exactly match his pink shirt...

A great interview I thought. And very interesting how at last someone sums up the scary mess this country is now in, such as with his mention of our situation being "unprecedented", and his mention of national bankrupcy.

:lol: but they do exactly match his pink shirt...

A great interview I thought. And very interesting how at last someone sums up the scary mess this country is now in, such as with his mention of our situation being "unprecedented", and his mention of national bankrupcy.

Yes Sir John gives a good interview and managed to avoid getting trapped by Marr (not that that is difficult).

Can someone post a summary of what was said?

quick sum up as I saw it, is that he was warning that if drastic public spending cuts and/or tax hikes were not undertaken, the debt is now so huge,that we are heading for national bankrupcy.

And since 1999, during the boom time that followed, instead of paying off public debt, as we should of done, the public debt was just allowed to grow and grow, and now we are in a downturn, we find ourselves with a huge deficit, that is even harder to pay off.

What did he say?

We are in uncharted territory in peacetime.

He did mention some possibilities for a "dead cat bounce" or "bounces" along the way.

Sir John mentioned that even if there was some growth (government figures) it would melt some of the deficit away, but we would still be in deep trouble!

Also discussed substantial downsizing of government. Cuts to Whitehall, Parliament, MP's civil servants.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000

Can someone post a summary of what was said?
What did he say?
quick sum up as I saw it, is that he was warning that if drastic public spending cuts and/or tax hikes were not undertaken, the debt is now so huge,that we are heading for national bankrupcy.

And since 1999, during the boom time that followed, instead of paying off public debt, as we should of done, the public debt was just allowed to grow and grow, and now we are in a downturn, we find ourselves with a huge deficit, that is even harder to pay off.

also Subley, Himmish, Rinseover, pls take note. serious stuff girls.

Funny how much sense experienced politicians speak when they're no longer in power

Because the Tories don't want to get trapped on public spending cuts by New Labour. Witness all this "Mr 10% cra p."

Sir John neatly sidestepped this. Politicians need to come clean Now!

Also Marr tried to pin the expenses scandals on Majors government, but Sir John was having none of it and quickly dismissed it :lol:

What did he say?
If it's not hurting it isn't working

Ah no, sorry. That was when interest rates rose to double figs,

it was just after many bought because if they didn't get in they would never be able to afford a home of their own; according to certain interests ............

Let's not forget that the Labour government has made it much easier to go through bankruptcy these days. From memory, the country just has to declare itself bankrupt, keep spending to a minimum for a year at which point everyone will lend us money again and we can restart spending. I think that's the way it works anyway.

is this some of that neo-liberal economic scaremongering re debts and deficits ?. Perhaps someone should remind Major that we're no longer in the ERM therefore not contrained by a fixed exchange rate, and that a govt. is NOT like a houshold which has to worry about paying off the principal and balancing budgets.

Now, if he was talking about califronia that might be a different matter. But he isn't. And he's clueless. And the clowns currently in power must also subscribe to this neo-liberal idealogy, because they'd be saying EXACTLY the same thing if they were in opposition. And i think they'll give in anyway due to the press barrage that's only just started. Doesn't matter how many celebrity econmist endorsments you get from the likes of krugman and roubini.

Edited by spivtastic