House Price Crash Forum

Sold The House & Off To Spain

HOLA441

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615394

the dream has finally arrived

hi every one , ive been on here for over a year now chatting to all you expats who have made the move or are looking too make the move to spain and the advice has been great . me and my girlfriend have sold our home finally after a year on market the moneys in the bank and we are now staying at the inlaws , we will be now be moving out to spain on july 20th its been a long hard slog but its here now the dream has finally arrived and we cant wait even though all the bad press about people moving back to the uk in the plane loads and how hard it is to make a living out there it aint putting us off . we know we are still making the right decision im totally fed up with the uk and ready to roll for a new and better quality of life ;)

Are they naive, or just sound like it?

He doesn't say how much is in the bank but implies (?) they will need to earn.

Maybe they are going to rent cheaply & wait for the bottom, but will they have any cash left?

Edited by Laura

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Maybe they are going to rent cheaply & wait for the bottom, but will they have any cash left?

Well yes, thats what I would do and parts of Spain or France are as good a bolt hole as any. Just needs an internet connection to keep in touch and make a bit of money online.

HOLA443
HOLA444

This has been going on since the late 1960s - early 70s. Brits selling up, moving to Spain and pouring their life savings (very often including their complete pension pot despite being mid-career) into a sure-fire winner of a business such as - opening up a British Bar in a road with 12 other British Bars (they very often do this in a Bar they have bought that went bust!!!!); or a pie business; or a plumbing or building buisness because Spain is so short of of such people; or a sunbed company (cos there's hardly anyone who has thought of this for beaches in Spain; etc., etc.

I wonder if anyone has researched and estimated the number of British people that have moved to Spain and lost their life savings? The numbers going bust whilst Spain was booming was incredible ... but to go now when the official unemployment figure is 17% (hate to think what the reality is) and is only going to get worse is beyond belief.

Loads of retired couples move over there and find that they are cut off from friends and family and as soon as one of them develops significant health problems they feel they are in a disatrous situation (although the Spanish health system is actually very good - it's just that many older Brits don't feel confident about it and don't have the language skills to navigate themselves through the system - saying "dos cervezas y una fanta limon" to a doctor or nurse just doesn't work!

HOLA445
HOLA446
Loads of retired couples move over there and find that they are cut off from friends and family and as soon as one of them develops significant health problems they feel they are in a disatrous situation (although the Spanish health system is actually very good - it's just that many older Brits don't feel confident about it and don't have the language skills to navigate themselves through the system - saying "dos cervezas y una fanta limon" to a doctor or nurse just doesn't work!

I've known younger families move back due to issues with the Spanish NHS. They charge for it! :lol:

Also I wouldn't move to Spain or anywhere else unless I was self sufficient and could support myself without being reliant on the local economy.

And with the internet, voip and skype its quite easier to "appear" to be in the UK, but sunning yourself where its warmer and a bit cheaper!

HOLA447
and how hard it is to make a living out there it aint putting us off

It should if you need to make a living.

Hotel staff in Costa Blanca threaten strike action

Tourists heading to the Costa Blanca next month face chaos as hotel staff threaten to strike.

Unions representing 50,000 workers say they will refuse to work unless they get better pay. They say chambermaids' wages in the region, which includes Benidorm, are the lowest in the country.

The average chambermaid, working a 20-hour week, earns £50 a month.

LINK but don't bother to look as there is no more to read; it's from the Mirror :)

HOLA448

IMO if they are smart they could do well.

In two years time Spains housing market will be ten times worse than our own.

Expect a 75% crash in Spanish house prices, at least where the tourists reside.

They built nearly 8 million new homes since 2000 vs the UK building a net of about 1 million new homes during the same time period.

So selling a £250k cash house today to purchase a better one in Spain in two years time for £50k would be a good move for most people. The remaining £200k spent wisely would last you a few decades without work.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Agreed, except they didn't say how much went into the bank after the sale, but they did imply they need to work.

They may be able to house sit & be paid for doing so ........... til the repo man arrives, & then he might tell them to stay also :)

I'm beginning to wonder if buying will be worth the hassle there?

Edited by Laura

HOLA4412

Expect a 75% crash in Spanish house prices, at least where the tourists reside.

They built nearly 8 million new homes since 2000 vs the UK building a net of about 1 million new homes during the same time period.

So selling a £250k cash house today to purchase a better one in Spain in two years time for £50k would be a good move for most people. The remaining £200k spent wisely would last you a few decades without work.

If they were smart, they wouldn't be moving to Spain...

HOLA4413
If they were smart, they wouldn't be moving to Spain...

Why? £250k cash would let a lot of people live a nice retirement in Spain or to spend two decades surfing with no worries on your mind.

Here it gets you a crappy terrace for the same sum.

HOLA4414
Guest eight

Are they naive, or just sound like it?

He doesn't say how much is in the bank but implies (?) they will need to earn.

Can you claim dole while living in Spain? Serious question; it's in the EU and with freedom of movement, if you can work there why can't you be a jobseeker there?

eight

HOLA4415
And with the internet, voip and skype its quite easier to "appear" to be in the UK, but sunning yourself where its warmer and a bit cheaper!

I agree - there are worse places to live than the 'real' Spain. We used to visit a little known coastal fishing village (where nobody spoke English) several times a year and made friends with some of the locals.

The council tax equivalent for an average house with 2 bedrooms was £7 a month including rubbish collection. We could have lived there much more cheaply than rip off Britain. The wages were much lower of course but savings would go a long way - maybe with a part-time job.

You've talked me into it.......... :)

HOLA4416
The council tax equivalent for an average house with 2 bedrooms was £7 a month including rubbish collection.

That is 100 euro/year! - scandalous!!

We only pay 6 each year! (sic).

Though we do have to throw our rubbish into the big bin/poubelle/lixo as we drive past.

Or we try to but ours has one of those silly lids so we have to stop.

Quite jealous of neighbours two miles away who don't have a lid. They don't have to stop, it's fling-and-drive, which is surely much more eco-friendly? We use theirs if we are driving that way. We all like to help each other when we can as the rural life can be tough.

The free council bus into town is only twice a week :(

Edited by Laura

HOLA4417
Guest redwine

The problem with "British Expats" is that it ran by EA's

Only today on the Spainish thread theres another brit dying to go to Spain

A few weeks ago Portugal and France

The best ones are the EA's a few days ago going to Dubai to open up guess what ? an estate- agent business :lol:

Council taxes depend on what sort of services the local council provides such as parks and gardens ,schools,retirement homes;road maintenance buses etc

HOLA4418

I don't think you have to totally bonkers to move to a different part of Europe. It's hardly "abroad", really, any more.

I'm semi-decided on a move to the south of France.

Not as retirement but as a base for consultancy. If I'm going to be living hotels and working for 6 months of the year, then it'd be nice to spend the other 6 months in the sun and near a warm sea. The sprogs can stay at their current schools but it'll just be sunnier and warmer school holidays.

Just in the process of getting an explanation of French tax regime. This may stymie the idea.

HOLA4419
This has been going on since the late 1960s - early 70s. Brits selling up, moving to Spain and pouring their life savings (very often including their complete pension pot despite being mid-career) into a sure-fire winner of a business such as - opening up a British Bar in a road with 12 other British Bars (they very often do this in a Bar they have bought that went bust!!!!); or a pie business; or a plumbing or building buisness because Spain is so short of of such people; or a sunbed company (cos there's hardly anyone who has thought of this for beaches in Spain; etc., etc.

I wonder if anyone has researched and estimated the number of British people that have moved to Spain and lost their life savings? The numbers going bust whilst Spain was booming was incredible ... but to go now when the official unemployment figure is 17% (hate to think what the reality is) and is only going to get worse is beyond belief.

as opposed to pouring their life savings and pensions into the pockets of people like fred goodwin......

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Just in the process of getting an explanation of French tax regime.

Bonne chance

I didn't think anyone understood it?

HOLA4422
I've known younger families move back due to issues with the Spanish NHS. They charge for it! :lol:

They do here too, its not magical. Its funded by the incredibly high taxes that are stolen from us. As someone who has needed a doctor less times than I have fingers on one hand Id be quite happy for a PAYG NHS.

I feel sorry for those who laugh at other people trying to escape from here, at least they have the spirit to try and arent so accepting of their life of slavery to the state in a dismal cold grey country. (Yes I know it seems ironic writing that after our one week hottest summer ever) :lol: But think of the other 10 months of the year.

HOLA4423
Guest eight
The free council bus into town is only twice a week :(

Hi Laura, just out of interest wherabouts do you live?

We are currently weighing up the area around Portalegre.

eight

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest eight
How's Darlo today man

I'm too jaded by living here to offer an objective view.

I need to get away for a while (>20 years should do it) to see if I miss the place or not.

But thanks for asking!

eight