House Price Crash Forum

Turning Japanese - Mamba Style

R K

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8132726.stm

When I met them early one morning, they had already started applying their make-up as they planned to meet other British members of their Japanese circle later that afternoon in London's China Town.

They start their routine by applying self tan to their bodies.

Eilish rubs the self tan on her neck but her face is darkened much more heavily.

She smears the coffee-bean powder on her pale skin and tries to rub it in so that it does not look "patchy".

Declan explains that he buys his foundation from Afro-Caribbean shops as normal shops do not sell powders that are dark enough.

They then use black eyeliner pencils and a white marker pens to create big eyes which look like they droop, framed by false eyelashes.

The look is finished off with glitter and white lipstick.

They tell me they learnt to apply the make-up through watching make-up tutorials on YouTube.

Declan and Eilish say they have been accused of racism for darkening their skin in this way, but they say this could not be further from the truth.

This is culturally interesting.

We've been having a cultural shift back to the seventies recently, and I've noticed one or two punk era bands starting to appear on TV and touring but I've not heard or seen of this Japanese Manba thing. It seems to be typically conformist in a Japanese way even though it claims to be anti-conformist.

Anyone seen it? Will it catch on? Does it herald Japanese deflation?

HOLA442
HOLA443
It seems to be typically conformist in a Japanese way even though it claims to be anti-conformist.

Yes. Display your individuality by dressing and acting in exactly the same manner as the rest of your social sub-grouping.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Archived