House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

The Queen's £1,375 Council Tax Bill (that's £400 Cheaper Than Her Neighbours In The Next Borough)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...rs-borough.html

The Queen pays less council tax to live in Buckingham Palace than a family in a suburban semi, the Mail can reveal.

The Queen pays the tax on the most prestigious address in the country to Westminster City Council, which has the second lowest rates in the country.

That means the annual bill for herself and Prince Philip is £1,375.24 a year - £400 cheaper than the average bill for families living neighbouring boroughs.

In accounts published this week it was revealed that the Queen had been forced to raid her savings to shore up her crumbling palaces.

So she can take some comfort from the fact that her council tax, at least, is not going to cost her the Crown Jewels. The council tax system relies on property valuations conducted by the Valuation Office Agency 18 years ago - when the housing market was clearly very different to that today.

There are eight bands - starting at A for properties of lowest value, going up to H - with the bill set accordingly.

The charge for each band is set by the local authority, which accounts for the widespread variation in charges.

According to its 1991 valuation, Buckingham Palace was given the most expensive rating, Band H, which covers all properties valued at £320,000 or more.

Yet, because Westminster City Council has some of the cheapest council tax bills in the country, the Queen's annual bill for the palace - which has 775 rooms in all, including 52 Royal and guest bedrooms, 188 staff bedrooms, 92 offices, 19 state rooms and 78 bathrooms - is less than for a four-bedroom semi in neighbouring Lambeth.

I feel so much better after reading this. :angry: :angry:

The whole council tax system is one massive con, my own council tax bill is only a few hundred pound cheaper than this if only I had somewhere near the income of the Queen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...rs-borough.html

I feel so much better after reading this. :angry: :angry:

The whole council tax system is one massive con, my own council tax bill is only a few hundred pound cheaper than this if only I had somewhere near the income of the Queen.

The UK is about 60,000,000 acres in total. The Queen owns something like 750,000 acres of land, when you add up the crown estate and all the other bits of land she earns income from(thats enough to house 15 million people). Just 40,000 families own 28,000,000 acres of land and the rest of us own just 2,800,000 acres of land, which is about 0.2 of an acre each.

Income tax and council tax pay for the infrastructure that makes the value of the land rise, we also pay large subsides to the land owners in agricultural subsidies. The only fair system is a land tax.

A more detailed break down of land ownership is available in Kevin Carhills Who Owns Britain.