House Price Crash Forum

"over 55's Lead Life Of The Young"..... And Enjoy A Nice Home!

HOLA441
Cooking-wise I did, as my Mum became a professional cook whilst we were kids, despite being university material in her youth.

She worked her way up and studied -whilst skivying in large kitchens until she made it. She passed to me what I then passed down to my kids.

Knitting, - I was never a star, nor at dress-making and although I made a few decent outfits I was never the seamstress my Ma was - the job she was apprenticed to after leaving school. Her family were too poor to send her to uni. even tho' she was a VERY clever girl. When I think of all the gobbins being forced into HE today, to avoid making the job situation worse, my blood boils.

If you want to weep for a generation, weep for the women in my mother's. They had the roughest ride of the lot of us. Doing mindless jobs, whilst their brothers got an FE education and a good livelihood. Women destined always to serve rather than be served.

Sorta STILL on topic :unsure: - as I am comparing generations.

Go back further againl AJ, and how many of your family, of both sexes were denied even the most basic education and social mobility.

The further back you go on my mother's side the more Xs you see on marriage certificates.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Cooking-wise I did, as my Mum became a professional cook whilst we were kids, despite being university material in her youth.

She worked her way up and studied -whilst skivying in large kitchens until she made it. She passed to me what I then passed down to my kids.

Knitting, - I was never a star, nor at dress-making and although I made a few decent outfits I was never the seamstress my Ma was - the job she was apprenticed to after leaving school. Her family were too poor to send her to uni. even tho' she was a VERY clever girl. When I think of all the gobbins being forced into HE today, to avoid making the job situation worse, my blood boils.

If you want to weep for a generation, weep for the women in my mother's. They had the roughest ride of the lot of us. Doing mindless jobs, whilst their brothers got an FE education and a good livelihood. Women destined always to serve rather than be served.

Sorta STILL on topic :unsure: - as I am comparing generations.

Most of your posts seem to be designed to tell everyone how hard you had it, but the girl did good in the end.

Tell me, do you have a sister with room for a pony and a swimming pool?

HOLA443
2.5 times income, wow that must have been sweet. What were inflation and other costs like then? I mean, having paid the mortgage and bills and food was there enough left over for a comparable lifestyle? I know that you wouldn't have been holidaying abroad or buying many new cars etc but I think that is more about the era than affordability.

The big difference is credit availability -- the same thing that drove up asset prices, also enabled the new cars and holidays and created consumer demand that allowed most of the modern world to be invented, scaled-up, and delivered.

Every generation has to take the rough with the smooth. IMO it's the children of the current 20-30-40 year-olds that will suffer enough to have real cause to despise their parents.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest AuntJess
Most of your posts seem to be designed to tell everyone how hard you had it, but the girl did good in the end.

Tell me, do you have a sister with room for a pony and a swimming pool?

No, My name isn't Bucket either. Can't think why you'd think I was a snob. Having quoted chapter and verse about my humble roots. :D I have always said what genetic 'luck' I had.

I did not have it half as hard as my Ma, which was the point of this last post. I also don't think this generation of whingers on here have it have as bad as they say. My Ma I had respect for: the insulting whingers I don't. I differ from them in one big respect. I respect my Mum and what she did for me, along with many of her contemporaries. HPC self-pitiers seem hell bent on hating and blaming everyone who was born before 1980. It is their choice and their problem. :ph34r:

Whether you like what I say, or that fact that I say stuff about myself, is what you have to decide to accept or reject. Never wrapped stuff up, never pretended to be summat I wasn't.

HOLA446
HPC self-pitiers seem hell bent on hating and blaming everyone who was born before 1980. It is their choice and their problem. :ph34r:

Hating everyone else, slating their choices, bigging themselves up and buying mail order brides you mean Aunt Jess? :lol:

Tbh, I feel a little sorry for them - yes, the sorry state of the economy and affordable housing is horrible - but life is too short for all this hatred and bigotry.

HOLA447
Guest AuntJess
Go back further againl AJ, and how many of your family, of both sexes were denied even the most basic education and social mobility.

The further back you go on my mother's side the more Xs you see on marriage certificates.

Yes. bin there - dun that, ^_^ as your good self has. Fascinating stuff. The girls seemed to go in for millinery or sewing in my Ma's family, the lads for joinery(journeymen) one engineer - used to service Mill machinery, stone masons etc. I often wonder why we don't get back into this kind of enterprise, as jobs today seems to be about non-jobs..such as advertising ( we could do so much better without that!)

Kids growing up today without the ability to sew on a button or turn up a hem. :( Bring back needlework, cookery and crafts in the schools, FGS.

Edited by AuntJess

HOLA448
HPC self-pitiers seem hell bent on hating and blaming everyone who was born before 1980. It is their choice and their problem.

That is because they are prevented from helping themselves. The young people that need housing could simply go to a field and build their own housing using their own labour. They need nothing from the elderly, the elderly need everything from them. Who is stopping them from doing so? ridiculous planning laws governed by councils of the elderly. Each of them thinking "not in my back yard, it would lower house prices". If those young people had housing they would have no leverage over them, they would have to provide something back in order to get them to provide services. If the old are going to live longer and thus block the free flow of housing down the generations then new housing is needed to accommodate the young. Whining and complaining is not wrong when that is the only option left. The state machine has become so oppressive all they can now do is shout. The suggestion that they take up knitting in order to overcome the lack of a home is laughable.

HOLA449
That is because they are prevented from helping themselves. The young people that need housing could simply go to a field and build their own housing using their own labour. They need nothing from the elderly, the elderly need everything from them. Who is stopping them from doing so? ridiculous planning laws governed by councils of the elderly. Each of them thinking "not in my back yard, it would lower house prices". If those young people had housing they would have no leverage over them, they would have to provide something back in order to get them to provide services. If the old are going to live longer and thus block the free flow of housing down the generations then new housing is needed to accommodate the young. Whining and complaining is not wrong when that is the only option left. The state machine has become so oppressive all they can now do is shout. The suggestion that they take up knitting in order to overcome the lack of a home is laughable.

We're going to need as many fields as we can get for food production as things play out on the energy- and finance-fronts. We've already built on too many of them.

If you really think what's needed is more greenfield sites, presumably you buy the "shortage of supply" argument over the "excessive credit" argument?

HOLA4410
Yes. bin there - dun that, ^_^ as your good self has. Fascinating stuff. The girls seemed to go in for millinery or sewing in my Ma's family, the lads for joinery(journeymen) one engineer - used to service Mill machinery, stone masons etc. I often wonder why we don't get back into this kind of enterprise, as jobs today seems to be about non-jobs..such as advertising ( we could do so much better without that!)

Kids growing up today without the ability to sew on a button or turn up a hem. :( Bring back needlework, cookery and crafts in the schools, FGS.

I've only done one side of my family, someone else beat me to the other.

Mums side were mainly from London - Deptford, Greenwich area. It's only in the more recent generations that there has been property ownership, health care, education, and jobs that didn't involve hard manual labour.

Census information shows that lots of them were living in shared houses throughout their entire lives. Not only sharing their home with their extended family, but as many as three other families as well.

Every generation has had it 'easier' than the one before.

Things is, I think it's peaked. I fully expect to be living with one of my kids in my dotage, because I can't afford anything else. I'll be earning my keep by through childcare and sock darning, and what's left of my private pension might just keep me in Werthers Originals.

Thankfully I don't think the outdoor lavvy will ever make a comeback.

HOLA4411

Well said, but I don't subscribe to the gen bashing stuff. We are all played and shafted at some point in our lives, thats the way the system is designed, divide & rule and all that. It really isn't that difficult to turn one against another in such a convoluted and contrived society the power of the state generate to ensure only the select few have all the choices and freedoms, of which should be afforded to all men and women of all ages. Then again multipolar arguments are culturally entertaining, a la Kyle and Springer. :P

HOLA4412

My two both did HE (cookery and needlework) for the compulsory 3 years - still didn't apparently learn anything useful like how to stitch on a button or mend a hem properly. First needlework task was making the exact same cookery apron I had made at 11 around 40 yrs previously.

Elder daughter loathed needlework so much I finished the dreaded cookery apron myself. Got a C+ with the comment, 'Neatness and accuracy are 2 skills which you must practice (sic).' :lol:

OTOH they're both great cooks.

HOLA4413