House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Notebook For Under £150 - Acer One With Linpus Linux

Ok, just spotted this little beauty. A laptop for £140 (though not including delivery). Though you have to like pink for the really cheap price - other colours are available. http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_One/prod.asp

Its the ACER One and whilst the 16GB SSD is a bit tidily its running Linpus Linux lite, so I reckon this is really cool for a recreational browsing machine (or near thin client) for the lounge, whilst I leave my tower, bigger laptop and disk array in the study.

There are other versions available, so if you need more disk etc you can have that.

I've order a bunch of these as Christmas gifts.

Here are laptops under £100, the price includes vat, i can probably get you a free delivery code if anybody wants.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp/version...rsion&page=

Ok that's pretty cool, worth buying one just of the hell of it.

There is a question of function, the Eee does have good reviews, but I personally would want wifi and more than 2GB of disk, so I guess that was why I went for the Acer. But I reckon the key obstacle for some will be operating system, though with the recent shift of the population to using mobile application on phones, I reckon a lot of people are now happy to accept the right device for the right task and if your using a browser who cares if your on Windows or Linux distro. That said, I still want a Mac just for the OS, just haven't got round to buying one yet.

Ok that's pretty cool, worth buying one just of the hell of it.

There is a question of function, the Eee does have good reviews, but I personally would want wifi and more than 2GB of disk, so I guess that was why I went for the Acer. But I reckon the key obstacle for some will be operating system, though with the recent shift of the population to using mobile application on phones, I reckon a lot of people are now happy to accept the right device for the right task and if your using a browser who cares if your on Windows or Linux distro. That said, I still want a Mac just for the OS, just haven't got round to buying one yet.

The Eee site says

Networking

Networking Network adapter

Wireless LAN Supported Yes

Data Link Protocol Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Fast Ethernet

so it does have wifi?

The Eee site says

so it does have wifi?

Yes it does have wifi, one of the guys at work has purchased one, i will ask him what it is like, as you can never tell by looking at a picture and specs.

PS..It is a refurbished model or it has a damaged box.

The Eee site says

so it does have wifi?

I didn't see it list on the link, which was odd as if its so that is a good selling point. I also noted that those may be refurbished ones, but so what at that price.

That said, I'd still want a bigger disk, though I don't have any issues with 512MB of RAM as running a light version of Linux that plenty unless your looking at big images. Its only the Seattle based bloatware corporation that needs more.

That said, I still want a Mac just for the OS, just haven't got round to buying one yet.

Ubuntu is now as ood as the Mac OS IMHO, and you're not tied to the ridiculously overpriced and underspecced apple hardware.

Ubuntu is now as ood as the Mac OS IMHO, and you're not tied to the ridiculously overpriced and underspecced apple hardware.

I've been meaning to download Ubuntu for a while. Currently trying out Linpus Linux lite ahead of my delivery.

I've got the 160GB HDD version of the Acer Apsire One and have run Windows and now run Mac OSX on them. Nice machines for the price even if the battery is a bit short (better under linpus than the other two).

In fact i've got two of them :blink:

I'm typing this on an eeePC 4G, running Ubuntu and with a bit more memory

It most def has WiFi and I recommend it as a low-cost robust machine for browsing, emails etc. Because it's all solid state it's fine when I sling it in my bike bag, and it's small enough to slip into a bag with no drama

The screen is a bit small, and the keyboard is a bit too small if you have fat fingers. But it's a fully-configured PC and if you put Ubuntu on you get acess to a vast range of free software. Great for taking to meetings, running ppt presentations on etc.

That said, I still want a Mac just for the OS, just haven't got round to buying one yet.

Get a Dell Mini 9 and run OS X on that.

A Google search for "Dell Mini 9 modding" shows what can be done with one of these.

Available from Dell Outlet with integral mobile broadband for £167. Link.

I have a white one Mike. It's brilliant.

Linpus worked fine, but I love Ubuntu and loaded the net book remix. It works like a dream.

Actually Durch, any view how ubuntu runs on older desktops, I have an older Dell 1.3GHz Pentium with RAMBUS memory and it seems to struggle with the Linpus desktop version. I could put on Linpus lite which I am sure would work excellently,but just wonder about Ubuntu. I suspect 90% of the problem is GNOME, as it likes some flashy graphics.

Actually Durch, any view how ubuntu runs on older desktops, I have an older Dell 1.3GHz Pentium with RAMBUS memory and it seems to struggle with the Linpus desktop version. I could put on Linpus lite which I am sure would work excellently,but just wonder about Ubuntu. I suspect 90% of the problem is GNOME, as it likes some flashy graphics.

Gnome is a bit of a resource hog. Stick the xfce desktop on instead (basically what Xubuntu is) and it'll run a lot faster.