House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
truefan999

Fox Hill Area Of Sheffield...whats It Like

I am new to the area can anyone tell me what the Fox Hill area of Sheffield is like?

Cheers

Not the most attractive area of Sheffield. Mixed private and council housing with 2/3 bed semis costing around £80-100k. Don't want to knock it, they may be very nice people living there, but it won't have instant appeal for many.

Not the most attractive area of Sheffield. Mixed private and council housing with 2/3 bed semis costing around £80-100k. Don't want to knock it, they may be very nice people living there, but it won't have instant appeal for many.

So that is a polite way of saying it is a dump with a high proportion of scrotes! :lol:

So living there would be like living in an episode of the Jeremy Kyle Show!! :P;)

I am new to the area can anyone tell me what the Fox Hill area of Sheffield is like?

Cheers

Is Fox Hill the new name for Pitsmoor? If so, then eek...

The best place for this sort of advice, btw, is sheffieldforum.co.uk.

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/your-area...he-area/foxhill

Foxhill is about 4 miles north-west of Sheffield city centre. To the back of Foxhill are large expanses of open woodlands (Beeley Woods and Great Hollins Woods) and farmland.

Foxhill has a wide range of properties within the estate. These include 2, 3 and 4 bed semi-detached houses, low-rise 1 and 2 bed flats, 3 and 4 bed maisonettes and a small number of bedsit bungalows.

Demand for properties tends towards low to mid-range.

Further information about types and size of Council and Housing Association properties can be found in the guide to waiting times

Foxhill has an active Tenants and Residents Association (TARA) which always welcomes new members.

Foxhill TARA have around 626 members.

Amenities

There are 2 small shopping areas at Foxhill at Wolfe Road and Foxhill Road. These include a small supermarket, newsagent, bakery, chemist and hairdressers. There is a post office close by on Birley Rise.

There is a wider range of shops and services available at nearby Halifax Road. The Hillsborough shopping centre is about 1½ miles away and is easily accessable by public transport.

Recreational space in Foxhill is limited to the Foxhill recreational ground and Wolfe Road open space.

The residents of Foxhill have good community facilities, these include;

Foxhill Community Centre

Wolfe Road Resource Centre

Foxhill and Parson Cross Advice Centre

For more information about the area visit Up My Street (new window).

Transport

Bus services in the area run approximately every 30 minutes during the day to Sheffield city centre, with most routes travelling through Hillsborough.

Further information on public transport and up to date timetable planner (new window)

Schools

There are a small number of schools and childcare facilities in the area. These include;

* Foxhill Primary School

* Parson Cross CE Primary School

* Chaucer Comprehensive School

* Sure Start Nursery

Further information on Schools in Sheffield by ward (new window) and catchment areas (new window) for local schools.

Health facilities

There are several doctor's and dental surgeries in the area. These include;

Foxhill Medical Centre – Halifax Road/Wolfe Road

Wadsley Bridge Medical Centre – Halifax Road

Smith, King, Herdman, Swann Doctor's Surgery – Halifax Road

JM Laurent & Associates Dental Surgery – Halifax Road

I assume you mean Fox Hill the area as opposed to the road.

So that is a polite way of saying it is a dump with a high proportion of scrotes! :lol:

So living there would be like living in an episode of the Jeremy Kyle Show!! :P;)

I used to work at the Northern General which is nearby... I'm sure if you lived in FoxHill you would love it, but I'm not sure I'd like to move there and be a newby, particularly from somewhere south of the border.

I used to work at the Northern General which is nearby... I'm sure if you lived in FoxHill you would love it, but I'm not sure I'd like to move there and be a newby, particularly from somewhere south of the border.

Ok I'll be blunt!

I'm a sheffield lass and would not live in foxhill. Sorry Foxhill people!

Why that area? Are you just looking randomly at areas in sheff?

Here's the score. (as it is with all towns and cities). There are 'preferable' postcodes. Based on schools, crime-rates, unemployment, 'house-prices' and location.

Look at the postcode map on this link to get your bearings.

http://www.blundells.com/blundells/propsearch.php

The so-called 'better' postcodes are those in south-west sheffield. Closest to the Peak District.

S17 (Dore, Totley, Bradway) Expensive, doorstep to the peaks but good transport links.

S11 (Ecclesall, Greystones, Hunters Bar etc) Excellent bars, shops & close to town and peaks.

S10 (Ranmoor, Fulwood, Broomhill)

What's the purpose of your move to sheffield, what do you need on your doorstep, are you renting, how much can you afford etc.

Not the best part of the city, by any stretch of imagination. Too close to the "lovely" Parson Cross, among other things.

That price gets you a three bed terrace in Ranmoor...

Personally I'd go for the terrace in Ranmoor, especially if I had school age kids to consider.

Incidentally, when we were looking at places to ive in the Sheffield area my wife wouldn't countenance Grenoside - she said it sounded too much like Genocide! She wasn't keen on Penistone either.

my wife wouldn't countenance Grenoside - she said it sounded too much like Genocide!

Love this one!

She wasn't keen on Penistone either.

Nor me, but I find antibiotics a big help.

So what do people think are the best affordable areas in Sheffield? I'm excluding places like Totley, Dore or Nether Edge, which tend to attract top end prices.

I quite like Sothall in S20.

Personally I'd go for the terrace in Ranmoor, especially if I had school age kids to consider.

Incidentally, when we were looking at places to ive in the Sheffield area my wife wouldn't countenance Grenoside - she said it sounded too much like Genocide! She wasn't keen on Penistone either.

Exactly what i called it when at the former polytechnic.

Nor me, but I find antibiotics a big help.

So what do people think are the best affordable areas in Sheffield? I'm excluding places like Totley, Dore or Nether Edge, which tend to attract top end prices.

I quite like Sothall in S20.

Again.. sheffieldforum. Although good old Sheffield inverted snobbery can prevent you getting a proper answer.

Before offering any advice, the big question is: do you like students?

PS Nether Edge has some bits that aren't too pricey if you look at the Sharrow end.

Ok I'll be blunt!

I'm a sheffield lass and would not live in foxhill. Sorry Foxhill people!

Why that area? Are you just looking randomly at areas in sheff?

Here's the score. (as it is with all towns and cities). There are 'preferable' postcodes. Based on schools, crime-rates, unemployment, 'house-prices' and location.

Look at the postcode map on this link to get your bearings.

http://www.blundells.com/blundells/propsearch.php

The so-called 'better' postcodes are those in south-west sheffield. Closest to the Peak District.

S17 (Dore, Totley, Bradway) Expensive, doorstep to the peaks but good transport links.

S11 (Ecclesall, Greystones, Hunters Bar etc) Excellent bars, shops & close to town and peaks.

S10 (Ranmoor, Fulwood, Broomhill)

What's the purpose of your move to sheffield, what do you need on your doorstep, are you renting, how much can you afford etc.

It's not always the best idea to look solely at post codes though. S10 contains Broomhall and part of this area is rough (i'd rather live in Foxhill) and where the shooting took place last week. Either S10 or S11 contains part of Sharrow which is again quite rough. S6, which contains Fox Hill, also covers Walkley, Hillsborough, Stannington and Bradfield all of which are nicer places to live than Sharrow or Broomhall (the bad bit). You can generalise too much with post codes in my view as they contain 5 or 6 areas each and not all of them are of the same calibre.

As for Fox Hill, it's basically a mainly white working class area that isn't as bad as it was 10-15 years ago but still has problems. I wouldn't completely avoid the area but it depends on your situation really because if you have the cash to live in a good area then do it - Hillsborough is nearby and many houses aren't that much more expensive than some in Fox Hill so you could go there. It's also worth pointing out that Fox Hill is a fairly insular area with a lot of people who live there having mums and dads who still live there - it's perhaps a bit harder for outsiders (particularly from outside of Sheffield) to integrate. It's not some kind of backwater where people will just stare at you but similarly I can't think why you would want to live there if you aren't from there or very nearby or have family there. It isn't that close to town either).

Edited by Mikhailo

SNIP

It's also worth pointing out that Fox Hill is a fairly insular area with a lot of people who live there having mums and dads who still live there - it's perhaps a bit harder for outsiders (particularly from outside of Sheffield) to integrate. It's not some kind of backwater where people will just stare at you but similarly I can't think why you would want to live there if you aren't from there or very nearby or have family there. It isn't that close to town either).

Nota bene... except the words "perhaps" and "a bit" which I'd replace with "undeniably" and "insurmountably".

Similar story in the peripheral towns like Stocksbridge where one of relatives moved... nightmare until she married into the mob even then she was tolerated.

Before offering any advice, the big question is: do you like students?

I have to say no to that one.

I have to say no to that one.

That rules Crookes and Walkley out, then. And (open to debate) bits of Hillsborough, Heeley and Carterknowle.

Have you looked up in the Norton - Gleedless - Crystal Peaks-y bit? I like that part of town.

EDITED to add a bit.

Edited by aussieboy

Nota bene... except the words "perhaps" and "a bit" which I'd replace with "undeniably" and "insurmountably".

Similar story in the peripheral towns like Stocksbridge where one of relatives moved... nightmare until she married into the mob even then she was tolerated.

If I was going to choose between the 2 I would probably go for Fox Hill just because it is more central. Stocksbridge is miles out so at least you have the benefit of only paying 6/7 quid if you are coming back from town. Not exactly a reason to move to Fox Hill compared to areas that are far away and nice but still a small benefit.

Another problem with Fox Hill is that the area is probably going to detoriate during this recession/depressionso even if you don't think it's too bad now, it's unlikely to stay that way. As unemployment rises crime is going to rise and it is relatively poor areas like this, where there is already a fair amount of crime, that are going to be worse hit. Plus Fox Hill's next door neighbour is Parson Cross which isn't a bad place if you enjoy listening to kittens screaming as they are slowly cooked in microwaves, or if you don't mind waking up to the smell of burning wheelie bins EVERY morning.

What does Nota bene.... mean by the way?

If I was going to choose between the 2 I would probably go for Fox Hill just because it is more central. Stocksbridge is miles out so at least you have the benefit of only paying 6/7 quid if you are coming back from town. Not exactly a reason to move to Fox Hill compared to areas that are far away and nice but still a small benefit.

Another problem with Fox Hill is that the area is probably going to detoriate during this recession/depressionso even if you don't think it's too bad now, it's unlikely to stay that way. As unemployment rises crime is going to rise and it is relatively poor areas like this, where there is already a fair amount of crime, that are going to be worse hit. Plus Fox Hill's next door neighbour is Parson Cross which isn't a bad place if you enjoy listening to kittens screaming as they are slowly cooked in microwaves, or if you don't mind waking up to the smell of burning wheelie bins EVERY morning.

What does Nota bene.... mean by the way?

If had to choose between the two... I'd rent. Seriously, Stocky is at least near some nice countryside and the housing stock is better.

PS NB

That rules Crookes and Walkley out, then. And (open to debate) bits of Hillsborough, Heeley and Carterknowle.

Have you looked up in the Norton - Gleedless - Crystal Peaks-y bit? I like that part of town.

Beighton area is OK IMO, has the advantage of being on the tram route, and with some half decent countryside not too far away (Rother valley country park/transpennine trail etc.). Good for links to M1/M18/A1 also (if that's important).

Edit: and where crystal peaks is - so you can catch a tram from there to Meadowhell for all your retail needs.

Edited by newp

This one's 180k and in a nice bit.

Nice house and nice area, just one thing the school catchment area... Newfield

Edited by Daveyk