House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

World's First No Star Hotel Slashes Prices To £5.99 A Night

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...99-a-night.html

The bargain price buys a room with no windows or television, no central heating, very little hot water, and a compulsory waking time of 7am.

Guests are likely to have to share their room with up to six lorry drivers, hard up travelling salesmen or passing immigrants, and must queue for the hotel's one shower in the morning.

Despite its minimalist charms, the frankly named Null Stern Hotel (No Star Hotel in German) is in the Swiss town of Sevelen, not far from the financial centre of Zurich.

Designed by conceptual artists, it was opened to the public earlier this summer as the ultimate in no frills luxury.

Patrick Riklin, who co-owns it with his brother, said he wanted guests to abide by the motto "less is more" as they paid between £5.99 and £17 for a room for the night.

"It's the antithesis of the luxury and megalomania of the times in which we live," said Mr Riklin.

Much of the hotel is built underground, meaning it can be cold even in the middle of a hot summer, so the hotel offers hot water bottles to keep guests warm.

However, while the establishment does not offer many amenities usually associated with hotels, it does offer one unique feature. The hotel is built in a disused nuclear bunker - a relic of the Cold War - so guests are guaranteed safety in the event of an atomic explosion.

Sounds delightful.

Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson should try it out, he like lorry drivers.

Sounds like a youth hostel.

yeah - exactly my thought

having said that, I've stayed in Swiss youth hostels and they're bl**dy expensive; no members' kitchen, so you have to eat out, and en-suite bathrooms to the dorms - so there IS a gap in the market in Switzerland

Ah !

We did previously discuss what these Nuclear bunkers could be used for.

The "zero star" is a clever marketing ploy.

There use to be a chain of motels in the USA which charged $6 per night. Can't remember the name but I stayed in them in early 90s and they were OK. One in Hilton Head was luxurious

I remember- Motel 6

Shows how much we are ripped off in the UK. BTW the $6 was for the room not pp.

Edited by dr ray

Guest sillybear2
There use to be a chain of motels in the USA which charged $6 per night. Can't remember the name

Detroit, Baltimore?

Detroit, Baltimore?

I still have a receipt from the "Hotel Du Nord" in a small village near Reims in France.We stayed there in October 1978.

We had a double room,two evening meals of four courses,although the main one was horse. A bottle of red wine and continental breakfast the following morning. The bill was 111 francs,which at the time was £10.Allowing for inflation,maybe £40 at today's prices.

The French Formule 1 hotels are only 30 Euro a night for up to three people.

If you can't get light, heat or hot water you might as well sleep in the car.

The hotel is built in a disused nuclear bunker - a relic of the Cold War - so guests are guaranteed safety in the event of an atomic explosion.

Actually, those built during the Cold War are no longer deep enough to withstand the stuff they drop these days.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I've spent more than that for an hour in a hotel.

Classy Candy, truly gifted.

And not at all classy.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

The French Formule 1 hotels are only 30 Euro a night for up to three people.

If you can't get light, heat or hot water you might as well sleep in the car.

Places like the YMCA hostels here are a horrendous ripoff. Sometimes charging as much as £200 a week :o

Do they still provide a Goblin Teasmaid!

:lol:

You're thinking of the Josef Fritzl null stern hotel.

Guest sillybear2
Actually, those built during the Cold War are no longer deep enough to withstand the stuff they drop these days.

Yup, I certainly wouldn't want to drop one in there.

yeah - exactly my thought

having said that, I've stayed in Swiss youth hostels and they're bl**dy expensive; no members' kitchen, so you have to eat out, and en-suite bathrooms to the dorms - so there IS a gap in the market in Switzerland

You could try the mountain huts in Switzerland where the en-suite is a shed hanging over the side of the mountain. When you have to take a dump, the Swiss kids will grade your efforts as everything falls into void. Needless to say, failures to perform amongst newbie climbers are not uncommon.

Otherwise very picturesque

24_08_2007_12_03_33_andy.jpg

Edited by linuxgeek

I stayed in a hotel in Tunis once that was about £4 a night. It was truly awful. One toilet per floor - all smashed or otherwise non functioning. No sinks anywhere either. Gawd knows how the lass I was with managed (and before you ask she was the starving student that insisted on the cheapest hotel - not me).

Best of all - we "discovered" at 5am the next morning that one of the speakers calling people to prayer was right outside our window.

Later in the cycling holiday we got dysentery from another cheapie hotel. After that I got to chose where we stayed.

Edited by greencat

The cheapest best value hotels I have stayed in must be Vietnam. 24 hours. Friendly on the whole. Nice rooms. Often a balcony. Satellite TV. Ensuite. Not bad. Usually about £4-5 per night.

If you get the usual tourist style bus up the length of the country they gvie you a choice when you arrive in a place. Just drive you around having a look until you choose one. Haggling is expected.

The cheapest best value hotels I have stayed in must be Vietnam. 24 hours. Friendly on the whole. Nice rooms. Often a balcony. Satellite TV. Ensuite. Not bad. Usually about £4-5 per night.

I recollect rates in that ballpark in the developed world. Specifically, some of the lower-cost parts of Oz and NZ on the "backpacker" circuit. Quality was variable, often pretty good.

The place I am staying in at the moment has free internet, free tea and coffee, hot water, drinking water etc.

The room has sat TV , fridge and air conditioning all for the huge price of five pounds fifty per night.

The only trouble is I am in the bloody back of beyond in Isaan in Thailand. :unsure: