House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Doing Business In Wales - Nightmare

Just tried to get a grant for a new website. £1,100 grant.

This is what happened - contacted council - council sent me form - returned form to council - council sent me pack. Cashflow forecast and P&L requested. To top it, they wanted to see 2 years of accounts.

All for friggin 1.1k. I told them to feck off. This is what happens when local authorities and Welsh Assembly take over the grant system.

Last time I applied, I filled out a 2 page form, taking all of 10 minutes, and got the grant within a week. That was in the days of the much maligned WDA. And the Welsh Assembly said they could do better :lol::lol:

This country is turning into a complete NIGHTMARE!

So you're complaining that public authorities are doing a bit of due diligence before doshing out our money...

How long would it take to generate the info they need ? Couple of hours ?

You obviously don't much need the 2k.

;)

This is what happened - contacted council - council sent me form - returned form to council - council sent me pack. Cashflow forecast and P&L requested. To top it, they wanted to see 2 years of accounts.

All for friggin 2k. I told them to feck off. This is what happens when local authorities and Welsh Assembly take over the grant system.

Last time I applied, I filled out a 2 page form, taking all of 10 minutes, and got the grant within a week. That was in the days of the much maligned WDA. And the Welsh Assembly said they could do better :lol::lol:

This country is turning into a complete NIGHTMARE!

Is it 1100 quid or 2 grand? Sorry but why would they just throw that dosh at you for filling in a form? A bank wouldn't.

:huh:

Sorry, I thought you were a leftie?

Surely big bureaucratic government making life hard for small business is a good thing?

So you're complaining that public authorities are doing a bit of due diligence before doshing out our money...

;)

Nope, £1,100 grant. That was all. Due Diligence? What, they would be in a position to judge whether my accounts were accurate would they? What a load of tosh. This is just statist nonsense to support non-job paper-munchers.

Where's the due dilligence when they offered 10s of millions to Anglesey Aluminium a couple of days a go (an unsustainable business which will relocate before long no matter how much cash is showered on them. Or for the banks, etc.

Feck them. I'd rather eat my head rather then get tied up in their bureaucratic nightmare of a system anyhow.

I live in an Objective 1 area, so Objective 1 cash is spewed everywhere other than where it's needed (the private sector).

;)

Whats known as an unjustified sense of entitlement!

It's not for a website though is it, it's for a business that uses a website as part of its operations/marketing/sales etc. If the underlying business doesn't already have a sound plan and P/L projection then it's not so much a business but more of a toy, and therefore not suitable for taxpayer grants.

It's not for a website though is it, it's for a business that uses a website as part of its operations/marketing/sales etc. If the underlying business doesn't already have a sound plan and P/L projection then it's not so much a business but more of a toy, and therefore not suitable for taxpayer grants.

So a misleading business plan will help them decide that the business is somehow worthy of a website? Just as the business models for many financial institutions were based on never-ending increases in house prices. Modelling and forecasting are a nonsense, particularly during a recession.

So a misleading business plan will help them decide that the business is somehow worthy of a website? Just as the business models for many financial institutions were based on never-ending increases in house prices. Modelling and forecasting are a nonsense, particularly during a recession.

What would you do if it were your [2 grand] 1100 quid you were handing over?

Is it 1100 quid or 2 grand? Sorry but why would they just throw that dosh at you for filling in a form? A bank wouldn't.

Sorry, 1100 - got in a figures rage. Anyway, back to work now. Should earn that sum by the end of the day anyway. Nice to get a little support from the government seeing that I'm in an Objective 1 area. But if they need it for more worthy causes, such as rugby colleges and new council departments, so be it.

Hwyl! G

What citeria should be used when giving you taxpayers money?

What citeria should be used when giving you taxpayers money?

Only one, will he make a profit. Nothing else matters, no profit means no jobs and no taxes.

Well, Objective 1 is supposed to support economic development and job creation.

Though 76m of Objective One grants have created all of 44 jobs according to a recent WEFO report. So, perhaps they should change the criteria? :lol:

Sure, you need to supply financial info before applying for a grant. The previous 2 page application I completed asked questions relating to turnover over last 6 years, signed off by accontant, job creation over last 6 years, etc., and based on track record and potential for growth going forward. And I didn't need to wait for several weeks to get an answer.

But if it takes me a whole day to complete a form that produced £1100, I'll actually have waste a whole day's worth of work. That's my point. Sure, this isn't crucial to my business, but a subsidised micro-site would help me market my business more effectively and ultimately increase turnover, etc.

Wales, as you know, is a cash-cow if you:

1. Speak Welsh

2. Are 'in the know'

3. Both of the above or married, sleeping with or related to one or both of the above.

I was told of a very successful business in Wales that got a ridiculous amount of grants - can't give the detail because I do not wish to be sued - and is thriving now. The people who founded it are now very wealthy.

They became friendly with a chap who handed out grants. He not only directed loads of grants in their direction but the work they did meant that other businesses applying for grants were subsequently directed to this initial firm to do the work for them - win win. Also, they charged well above the going rate for the work they did - several thousands as opposed to a couple of hundred.

Suffice to say that the chap who authorised the grants has been on 'extended leave' for several years now and I was told that criminal investigations occurred but, of course, nothing could be proved.

I too am in the process of setting up some new websites but it is not worth the time and hassle to go to any of the grant-making bodies. If I spoke Welsh I would be a wealthy Welsh speaker by now.

Oh well.

1. Speak Welsh

2. Are 'in the know'

3. Both of the above or married, sleeping with or related to one or both of the above.

I was told of a very successful business in Wales that got a ridiculous amount of grants - can't give the detail because I do not wish to be sued - and is thriving now. The people who founded it are now very wealthy.

They became friendly with a chap who handed out grants. He not only directed loads of grants in their direction but the work they did meant that other businesses applying for grants were subsequently directed to this initial firm to do the work for them - win win. Also, they charged well above the going rate for the work they did - several thousands as opposed to a couple of hundred.

Suffice to say that the chap who authorised the grants has been on 'extended leave' for several years now and I was told that criminal investigations occurred but, of course, nothing could be proved.

I too am in the process of setting up some new websites but it is not worth the time and hassle to go to any of the grant-making bodies. If I spoke Welsh I would be a wealthy Welsh speaker by now.

Oh well.

Sure, that's how it really works in these parts - that's really why I'm feeling so resentful about all the new hoops they're requiring me to jump through. I fulfill only 1 of those 3 criteria. ;) . You have to live here to experience this shit!

1. Speak Welsh

2. Are 'in the know'

Oh well.

I take it that you say this with your tounge firmly in your cheek??

Yes there are Welsh speaking people in high earning powerful positions and certain organizations in Wales demand that you speak Welsh but to suggest that Welsh speakers are given some sort of head start in Wales is ludicrous.

Perhaps you should go and have a look around the few thriving Welsh speaking communities that survive, Caernarfon, Llangefni, Porthmadog etc. and ask the locals there how their ability to speak Welsh has helped them prosper.

If you truly believe that speaking Welsh is an instant route to wealth and succes then you know what the answer is don't you....

I take it that you say this with your tounge firmly in your cheek??

Yes there are Welsh speaking people in high earning powerful positions and certain organizations in Wales demand that you speak Welsh but to suggest that Welsh speakers are given some sort of head start in Wales is ludicrous.

Perhaps you should go and have a look around the few thriving Welsh speaking communities that survive, Caernarfon, Llangefni, Porthmadog etc. and ask the locals there how their ability to speak Welsh has helped them prosper.

If you truly believe that speaking Welsh is an instant route to wealth and succes then you know what the answer is don't you....

LMAO1 That post is so funny. Hysterical. Thank you for making me laugh out loud. I am almost in tears. Well done you!

:lol::lol::lol:

The Taffia is alive and well. Its members are middle-class, welsh speaking and look after each other.

The 'Taffia' or the 'crachach' as we say in Welsh is certainly alive and well, but this is no different to the jobs for the boys old school network that you'd find in England.

All the people I know from my area that are Welsh speaking, have good jobs and earn a fair wedge work in England or abroad.

at least there's a slim chance of a grant in Wales! when i was made redundant in 04 i tried everywhere for start up grants, and quite a few bodies i approached said words to the effect of 'if you were in Wales, it would be a different story'