France Imports Uk Electricity As Plants Shut

HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
EDF is a private firm - I guess whoever can pay the most... and iuf it becomes a nationalistic issue, ie war or economic war, then we can always nationalise them and they can't do much about it

EDF are NOT a prive firm they are the french national electricity company, mostly owned by the french government.

On that bsis the French government could ORDER them to sell the elctricity to france instead of england.

HOLA443
No there's more where that came from....Mr Google images.

There's one with her wearing a nice hat but I daren't post it here in case I get banned....

(very tasteful though - artistic I would say)

http://frogsmoke.com/wp-content/uploads/20...0bruni%2019.jpg

Have to say it does look very hot there.

Does she have any other hats? Do you have pictures of her showing them off in a similarly artistic manner?

HOLA444
But do they still have to buy it then UK customers buy it back again?

EDF own the generating stations, most of the distribution networks, meter operators and suppliers in the South East - The only thing they dont own (yet!) is National Grid. Its pretty much of a monopoly so they are free to do with it as they wish.

Quick edit - thats capitalism for ya! As long as you have the dosh you can have whatever you want

Edited by Neil B

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6626811.ece

It doesn't say what price the French are paying for it.

You can guarantee if it was the other way we'd be paying a premium for it.

Gosh, as high as 1000MW from UK to France. That's about the typical flow from Scotland to England too. At the time of writing, France is sending 618MW to UK. Let's contact the tabloids!

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Electricity...nd/demand24.htm

SC

HOLA448
HOLA449
EDF own the generating stations, most of the distribution networks, meter operators and suppliers in the South East - The only thing they dont own (yet!) is National Grid. Its pretty much of a monopoly so they are free to do with it as they wish.

Their only monopoly is the REC (Regional Electricity Company) which is heavily regulated. Customers supplied via that REC can buy electricity from any UK supplier. All suppliers are charged on the same basis for distribution.

'EnergyQuote - FAQs':

http://www.energyquote.co.uk/faq/faq.html

A Regional Electricity Company (REC) is responsible for distributing electricity to all sites within its own region. The RECs receive a market average of 20% of the electricity cost for distribution and this cost is paid irrespective of whether they are responsible for supply.

HOLA4410
Their only monopoly is the REC (Regional Electricity Company) which is heavily regulated. Customers supplied via that REC can buy electricity from any UK supplier. All suppliers are charged on the same basis for distribution.

'EnergyQuote - FAQs':

http://www.energyquote.co.uk/faq/faq.html

This is not true - The RECS were deregulated in 1998 and fragmented into distribution, meter operator, supplier, generation and new connections. EDF own most of those anyway in the South East: London Electricity, Eastern Electricty, Seeboard, Swalec, Virgin Energy..... they realy did buy just about everything and the poor British customers dont seem to have noticed.

Suppliers can charge whatever they want to the end customer irrespective of the network operator.

Edited by Neil B

HOLA4411

1) EDF own the UKs nuclear power stations.

2) Electicity companies can only see it to you if they have electricity to sell

It's only a matter of time before electricity companies get declared bankrupt or closed for theft because their customers have used electricity but the REC can't find anyone to "buy" it from.

I also think we are months away from rolling blackouts.

It wouldn't take much to close a couple of power stations for a few weeks... July/August is the time many are shut for routine maintenance...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1) EDF own the UKs nuclear power stations.

2) Electicity companies can only see it to you if they have electricity to sell

It's only a matter of time before electricity companies get declared bankrupt or closed for theft because their customers have used electricity but the REC can't find anyone to "buy" it from.

I also think we are months away from rolling blackouts.

It wouldn't take much to close a couple of power stations for a few weeks... July/August is the time many are shut for routine maintenance...

+1... There was an incident in 2005 (I think) where a large part of London was blacked out for several hours - This was unheard of previously - the truth was that EDF had made so many cutbacks in maintenance spending that the network simply collapsed because it was in such a poor state of repair.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Exactly so, suppliers can charge whatever they want -- it's a competitive market, but the network operator can't charge suppliers whatever they want for distribution -- that's a regulated market.

I never said otherwise.

We as end customers dont need to know the agreements between DNOs and the Suppliers - we pay our bills to the supplier. The DNO's charges are openly advertised if you want some reading to make you fall asleep.

HOLA4418
Guest redwine

I do not see what all this fuss is about there is nothing anywhere here in France about what the times said

As for the nuclear power stations not having any water its a load of cr*p

Goes to show that people believe anything that the papers say good job that they don't tell there readers to go and jump off a block of flats as i am sure that many would

HOLA4419
I do not see what all this fuss is about there is nothing anywhere here in France about what the times said

As for the nuclear power stations not having any water its a load of cr*p

Goes to show that people believe anything that the papers say good job that they don't tell there readers to go and jump off a block of flats as i am sure that many would

You have to excuse some of these posts - a lot of members think there are conspiracies: They get to hear about something that they dont know about and think its armageddon

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
EDF: Energie de France.

Love the French, really don't think our essential services should be in foreign hands.

Well that's a kind of French attitude. Perhaps best exemplified in De Gaulle's programme of building nuclear power stations..

Rather strange that some 40 years later a previously energy sufficient country is now begging for (Nuclear Energy) help from the same said French.

Whatever happened to Magnox reactors, British Energy, British Nuclear Fuels, etc, etc ,etc .......................................

HOLA4425
Indeed, but we are free to choose from many suppliers, so I don't see how EDF has a monopoly.

EDF own all the generation, distribution, metering, connections and suppliers in the South East - which is where the cross channel interconnector is: Thats prety much of a monopoly in the South East.