House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sibley's Love Child

Quick Question For Any Decorators Etc

Just a quick question; if I wanted to pay a tradesman to redecorate a two-up/two down, how much would that set me back?

I ask because most of the properties on my watch-list and in my price range seem to require modernisation (read: previous coffin-dodger owner had moved on either into sheltered accomodation or six feet under). So i've resigned myself that this may be the case as and when I do buy.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I couldn't be more specific as the question was purely hypothetical. 3k sounds okay to me though.

I suppose in hindsight I was referring to a simple cosmetic job ie new wallpaper, repaint, new carpets, top to bottom. You know how you get those probates where the place hasn't been updated since circa 1962? That's the sort of thing I was thinking of, so nothing too dramatic of structural.

As I inferred in the OP, i'm not seeing many 'modern' houses coming onto the market in the area i'm looking and in my price-range; they all seem to be probates (judging by the internal pics) which I guess confirms what people say on here; that the market is set at the margins?

Thanks again.

I suppose in hindsight I was referring to a simple cosmetic job ie new wallpaper, repaint, new carpets, top to bottom.

Painters don't do carpets. :rolleyes:

New wallpaper - just bear in mind that a lot of wallpaper in old houses could be classed as 'structural' i.e. you take it off at your peril as the plaster comes away with it. Better prce in a plasterer for a few days? :(

Painters don't do carpets. :rolleyes:

New wallpaper - just bear in mind that a lot of wallpaper in old houses could be classed as 'structural' i.e. you take it off at your peril as the plaster comes away with it. Better prce in a plasterer for a few days? :(

Or learn how to paint, plaster, fit carpets etc yourself, and save youself two and a half grand in exchange for a few weekends/evenings work. It is not that difficult provided you have patience, although plastering is definitely something that takes a bit of practice to get right. Do the carpets last!

Or learn how to paint, plaster, fit carpets etc yourself, and save youself two and a half grand in exchange for a few weekends/evenings work. It is not that difficult provided you have patience, although plastering is definitely something that takes a bit of practice to get right. Do the carpets last!

That would be a great idea though I know that i'm cack at DIY through bitter experience. The worse thing is that my wife thinks she's good but in reality she's worse than me. So, tradesmen it is.

Get loads of quotes, they'll give you plenty of ideas.

Go for a painter and decorator who has at least a month waiting list.

If he can come day after tomorrow, he's probably useless.

It depends what you mean by redecorate and the standard of the decoration which has been carried out before.

Are we talking just a re-paint? Or stripping wall paper then adding lining paper because the walls are in a state.

Are you incxluding any renewal of skirting boards / repainting doors and wood or not.

The question is not specific enough.

As an example I've got to know a couple of jobbing builders which hire themselves out at £150 per day.

I got in touch via a firm I employed and they work for them as subcontractors.

Basically their wages have been cut and they are looking for work for themselves.

£150 per day per man is cheap considering some of the labour charges some firms charge.

If you pay a painter and decorator any more than £150 per day (plus materials) best he work bloody hard. <_<

£3k would seem about right if you include middle of the range wall paper / paint.

Cheers

£150 a day is a lot of money considering it's fiddle cash that isn't going to be subject to VAT, income Tax or NI.

What regional variations are there? (OP is London based so I'm guessing that this will be the dearest area for tradesmen?).