House Price Crash Forum

As A Taxpayer What Have I Got For All This Debt?

HOLA441

I have been wondering what I've got for all of this debt this nation is in.

We might have more highly paid nurses/doctors and even middle management, but value for money what has improved.

For me I want investment that's going to reduce my costs of living, not keeping on increasing them.

So can anyone tell me what we've got for our over the past 20 - 30 years that has helped to improve this nation.

Or has all the money just been pointlessly p155ed up against a wall?

Any takers?

Massively in debt and nothing to show for it?

HOLA442
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Well, you have all these lovely houses no-one can afford, the Internet, an education experiment that doesn't seem to be working too well, and lots and lots of pensioners.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
You now own Jonathon Ross.

There's only so much enjoyment to be gained from coloured suits and speech impedimentia.

Won't someone list him on Freecycle in Bulgaria?

HOLA446
There's only so much enjoyment to be gained from coloured suits and speech impedimentia.

Won't someone list him on Freecycle in Bulgaria?

We should parachute him into China as a warning: your future may include an overpaid turd

HOLA447
Or has all the money just been pointlessly p155ed up against a wall?

Wake up and smell the Nescafe - the money has been squandered. It's been well and truly pi55ed up against the proverbial wall.

Our hapless government has been as responsible as an individual getting themselves into 40-odd grands' worth of debt by spending money on cocaine and lapdancers.

In addition for paying for our politicians' extravagant lifestyles, your taxes have been squandered on pointless wars, the Royal Family, expensive ideas like the Millennium Dome and the 2012 Olympics, ID cards, surveillance of the population, managers and consultants in health and education - the list goes on.

I feel deeply sorry for the two soldiers recently killed in Afghanistan, but what have they died for? Sod all, apart from the bloody-mindedness of our leaders.

HOLA448
For me I want investment that's going to reduce my costs of living,

Buy a big cheap camper conversion (plenty on eBay, OH just looked) & get out of the UK fast.

I'm serious.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Leave the wife and kids behind? Would that be for the best? :P

I was halfway to Heathrow on Tuesday before my commitments pulled me back. MUST GET PET PASSPORT

Seriously? Camper van, Europe.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
You now own most of the UK banking system with a net value below 0.

Please insert £1 trillion to play again.

VMR.

I need to buy a better printer :huh:

All the money is now in the assets of homeowners who bought pre-bubble and are still sitting on massive unearned equity. Another 60% or so off house prices would get us back the value of our money.

HOLA4414
Leave the wife and kids behind? Would that be for the best? :P

We know of couples with children who travel fulltime & educate on the road.

The French system seems particularly well set up for this posting to wherever you are.

Seriously? Camper van, Europe.

Seriously, -- (& I don't mean long winter stays on a Spanish campsite either; not recommended for sanity preservation!)

You wont believe how much you save but not shelling out in the UK.....then again most HPCers probably would believe it :)

We still miss the life, but got bogged down happily with this mostly sunny cheap shack. Still got the camper though. It's one of the contingency plans

& why stick to Europe? - some don't

HOLA4415

Plus have you not considered that naturally even without all this debt your life should be better. After all we have a lot more tech now than 30 years ago.

It is the central bank and the government fully at fault

Lets say for example some cleaver engineer genetically modifies food so that it grows 10x faster and is 10x cheaper in the shops. So the weekly food shop goes from £50pw to £5pw.

Great for all of humanity you would think.

But what does the central bank and the government do?

Well the government says food is too cheap and slaps a £45 pw tax on it to spend on crap pet projects.

The central bank panics and thinks oh crap we have deflation!! Lower interest rates to increase inflation!! So they lower interest rates and the value of assets like houses shares and businesses go up.

So although you benefited from cheaper food, you lost out in higher house prices. All thanks to the central bank!

All of mans inventions and knowledge in improving productivity goes to the rich via asset price inflation.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I would like a harem of women. Is that being unrealistic?

Lower energy consumption.

Living a more sustainable lifestyle.

Lower bills.

Cheaper booze.

Seems like a fair-enough request.

Certainly better than spending the money on blowing up little countries that cannot defend themselves properly.

HOLA4419

The best is yet to come. What you're actually going to have, regardless of what you want, are higher taxes and a lower standard of living.

Unless you're rich. Or a MP. Or a banker. Etc.

Ninja edit.

Edited by littlest Hobo

HOLA4420
Wake up and smell the Nescafe - the money has been squandered. It's been well and truly pi55ed up against the proverbial wall.

Our hapless government has been as responsible as an individual getting themselves into 40-odd grands' worth of debt by spending money on cocaine and lapdancers.

In addition for paying for our politicians' extravagant lifestyles, your taxes have been squandered on pointless wars, the Royal Family, expensive ideas like the Millennium Dome and the 2012 Olympics, ID cards, surveillance of the population, managers and consultants in health and education - the list goes on.

I feel deeply sorry for the two soldiers recently killed in Afghanistan, but what have they died for? Sod all, apart from the bloody-mindedness of our leaders.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Squandered-David-C...9486&sr=8-1

HOLA4421

The top 20% of people have got even richer. If you're one of the other 80% though, tough.

I know we don't like Polly Toynbee on here, but she came out with this on C4 news last night. During the 5 "boom years", by which she presumably means 2003-2007, the GDP of the top 20% grew as claimed.

The other 80% did not see ANY growth in GDP in 5 years. Now that same 80% are expected to bail out the top 20%.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
...So can anyone tell me what we've got for our over the past 20 - 30 years that has helped to improve this nation.

20-30yrs ??? can we limit the scope of discussion to the last 12 years during which we've been saddled with more taxes than ever before.

Burning our money

Edited by f00

HOLA4424
HOLA4425