House Price Crash Forum

What Would You Do With 100k Cash ?

Guest worthless_site

HOLA441
Heart says: Buy an Audi R8 and enjoy life.

Head says: Put it into the highest paying ISAs/term deposit accounts, obviously splitting it for maximum protection, and avoiding dodgy places like ICICI et al.

The latter is pretty much what I've done for the last two years (albeit except for a slight, and very disturbing, flirtation with Kaupthing Edge). Still wishing I'd had the balls to go for the 'Heart' option though.

Edit: Oh, I forgot - put aside a couple of thousand to play about with shares. Had some ups, some downs, but it's been a bit of a laugh.

You can borrow mine. :lol::lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Move somewhere like Thailand where 50k will build you a really nice house by the sea and the other 50k will keep you living well for quite a while. Enjoy life while it's still there to be enjoyed and worry about things when you only have a couple of years worth of money left (or try and make your money stretch until retirement).

You can't buy a house in Thailand IIRC.

Move to San Diego and start printing your own IOU's, and paying yourself in them.

Sorted.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
In my opinion for safety :-

25% Cash

25% Bluechip equity

25% NS Bonds

25% Gold ETF

ETFs are not free of counterparty risk. It is possible to buy physical gold at a reasonable

price through the companies goldmoney.com and bullionvault.com.

With these companies the customer owns the physical metal and is thereby free of

counterparty risk. In both companies the metal quantity is audited and published on a regular basis.

I think these are safer than gold ETFs for the medium- to long-term saver. I have accounts

with both companies and am very happy with their services.

At goldmoney.com you can buy silver too (VAT free if you don't take delivery).

HOLA4414

Funnily enough I have just spent £100k on some shares (nb I do have a job and some more cash in the bank).

HICL

VOD

NFDS

CNA

REX

BP

NG.

GSK

a combined yield of 6.52% at yesterday's closing prices. I bought in roughly £12500 tranches - thoguth this was a fair mix of stocks for a long term view - more than a year. NFDS is one where I worry that the dividend may be at risk, BP and GSK's payments are subject to USD/GBP exchange rate.

HOLA4415
From the princely amount of .2% up to about 3.5% if you lock in for three years with an ISA......,:unsure:

I'm trying to shuffle some money at the minute. I need fixed rates, but no more than 1 year. Best I've found so far is Skipton BS, 3.85% gross, matures 28th Feb 10 (8 months). I suspect IR's will have risen a bit by then, so this seems the best rate for the shortest time. I wouldn't be fixing for any more than a year and remember put no more than £50k in.

I don't know how much your rent is, but I doubt interest from 100k will cover it now.

HOLA4416
oh this is a good thread....my mother finds herself in a similar position due to her mother dying recently...interesting to see what everyone thinks. Much argument in my family at the mo!

Hi jessica rabbit. I remember your 'predicament' with your mum. Did you manage to talk her down from buying in devon?

HOLA4417
I'm trying to shuffle some money at the minute. I need fixed rates, but no more than 1 year. Best I've found so far is Skipton BS, 3.85% gross, matures 28th Feb 10 (8 months). I suspect IR's will have risen a bit by then, so this seems the best rate for the shortest time. I wouldn't be fixing for any more than a year and remember put no more than £50k in.

I don't know how much your rent is, but I doubt interest from 100k will cover it now.

My Dad's just gone with the Skipton (50k) and he got a similar deal with Abbey.

HOLA4418
Come on guys its a serious question .

jessica Rabbits mother would like to know anyway.

How can anyone sensibly answer such a question. It depends on risk, objectives, etc, etc, etc.

All I can say is don't put it anywhere with a dodgy name like Madoff (made off with your money), Kapauting (kaput), etc. Not that hard really!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA
How can anyone sensibly answer such a question. It depends on risk, objectives, etc, etc, etc.

All I can say is don't put it anywhere with a dodgy name like Madoff (made off with your money), Kapauting (kaput), etc. Not that hard really!

Lol thats right Fence you keep sitting on it.

HOLA4421
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA
Put it in several accounts-Get a flight to somewhere I can live on £5 a day

Who wants to live for more than a couple of weeks on a beach in Thailand ?