House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ajay

I May Be Made Redundant Soon ...

Work has slowed down again sorry not slowed down, it has "STOPPED" this happened before and i was not made redundant that time, i am not so sure anymore as there are less and less people to chose from.

Everything has just stopped i am just standing around all day, if it does not pick up very soon i am going to have a problem.

They are talking about reducing my hours, can i get benefit if they do.

Work has slowed down again sorry not slowed down, it has "STOPPED" this happened before and i was not made redundant that time, i am not so sure anymore as there are less and less people to chose from.

Everything has just stopped i am just standing around all day, if it does not pick up very soon i am going to have a problem.

They are talking about reducing my hours, can i get benefit if they do.

Depends on what benefit - you may be able to claim Income support or Housing Benefit depending on how many hours you work and what you are still earning.

If you aren't already doing it, apply for jobs now. Don't tell current employer though otherwise you are on the radar.

Don't know about the benefits situation though - try to avoid dealing with benefits/job centre etc. unless it is really desperate.

Ask you mates if they know of any vacancies, look on the internet - just try your hardest to get another job. It is hard, I'm doing it now, wish I'd acted a little sooner.

If you aren't already doing it, apply for jobs now. Don't tell current employer though otherwise you are on the radar.

Don't know about the benefits situation though - try to avoid dealing with benefits/job centre etc. unless it is really desperate.

Ask you mates if they know of any vacancies, look on the internet - just try your hardest to get another job. It is hard, I'm doing it now, wish I'd acted a little sooner.

I have been here for about 12 years so i am sure i have no job seeking skills, the problem is what kind of job should i try for its that i am in a low skilled profession and am sure people would prefer a EE at half my age, and having to pay them much less than i would need.

The fact that you've been in your job for 12 years is good so get a CV printed up and get down to the employment agencies that deal with your type of work. Be as personable as possible and say you would, if necessary, accepted a lower wage.

You will have to fill out endless forms (as well as turn up with your passport) and probably have to deal with employment agency twits but just smile and be as willing as you can.

The job centre is only of use for finding advertised/potential jobs, won't give you any help at all unless you are already signed on. Go on jobcentreplus.gov.uk to access jobs that you can apply for online - unfortunately loads of electronic form filling - can take forever.

Good luck.

If you do sign on - ask in the Jobcentre about help with CV's etc as I work on a redundancy project for our local university who are helping with these things. You can also get money off university courses. We get our referrals through the job centre and we've had loads of people so far. No green shoots as far as I can see!