House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BROF

George Osborne To Be Investigated Over Expenses

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...r-expenses.html

George Osborne to be investigated over expenses

George Osborne, the shadow Chancellor, is being investigated by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards over his second home expenses.

By Holly Watt

Published: 3:59PM BST 02 Jul 2009

John Lyon will investigate why Mr Osborne “flipped†his second home designation to his constituency house after taking out a £450,000 mortgage on his property in Cheshire in 2003.

The house cost only £445,000.

Mr Osborne has claimed £100,000 in mortgage interest payments on the large “second home†in Tatton in the last six years. The shadow Chancellor bought the farmhouse in Tatton with his wife Frances shortly before he was elected to Parliament in 2001.

Mr Osborne increased the mortgage on his home in London, which allowed him to buy the Tatton house without a mortgage.

Before 2003, Mr Osborne claimed the second home allowance on a house in London. He sold this home in 2006 for a £748,000 profit, but avoided paying capital gains tax after telling Revenue and Customs that it was his principle residence.

Mr Osborne – one of the heirs to the Osborne & Little interior design company – then bought another house in London for £1.85million.

Mr Osborne was reported to the Standards Commissioner by Laurie Burton, the chairman of Tatton Labour party.

In a letter to Mr Burton, Mr Lyon said he would look into a claim that "Mr Osborne claimed for mortgage payments that were not necessarily incurred, contrary to the rules of the House".

oink! oink!

Why are they only investigating Osbourne? They've all done this...I sense the hand of Brown...

or the Prince of Darkness...

Sorry to rain on your parade, but he's already issued a statement saying he's very relaxed about it.

As per usual, New Labour are stirring up trouble and despite McBride gate are quite happy to continue with their smear campaigns.

More to the point, when is this gang of crooks, liars and unelected charlatans going to show some b*lls and call a General Election?

the thing that really gets up my nose about Osbourne, 'Shadow Chancellor-Lite', is the wealth of opportunity he's had on Newsnight et al, at a time such as this, to get engaged in economic matters, and show his worth... yet it's always our Vince. Last night it was Cable, Stiglitz, Tett.

Osbourne is a waste of space, and an embarrassment in my humble...

the thing that really gets up my nose about Osbourne, 'Shadow Chancellor-Lite', is the wealth of opportunity he's had on Newsnight et al, at a time such as this, to get engaged in economic matters, and show his worth... yet it's always our Vince. Last night it was Cable, Stiglitz, Tett.

Osbourne is a waste of space, and an embarrassment in my humble...

agreed.

he is a liability.

brown should have been put to the sword a long time ago.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but he's already issued a statement saying he's very relaxed about it.

As per usual, New Labour are stirring up trouble and despite McBride gate are quite happy to continue with their smear campaigns.

More to the point, when is this gang of crooks, liars and unelected charlatans going to show some b*lls and call a General Election?

He is a parasite, besides being very wealthy before he entered the house he goes on the rape the tax payer to fund a life many of us can only dream of. Most of his constiuents will get a hard on about whom he has become (shadow chancellor) and vote the parasite back into office.

They should all be thrown out apart from a very selective few whom did not take the Piss. Vince cable being one of them.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Sir John Lyon announced on the 19th February that he was looking into the expences of Jacqui Smith.

Needless to say he is still working on it. Ditto McNulty.

This is the chap who cleared the Balls' despite the fact they have been claiming for their groceries and flipping like a top.

Although to be fair he did criticise the Wintertons for paying rent for a flat they had put into a trust for their children. However to give them time to adjust he let them carry on claiming a few more months and of course ruled that they did not have anything to pay anything back.

So yes, I am sure Osbourne is relaxed about it.

Why are they only investigating Osbourne? They've all done this...I sense the hand of Brown...

If, and I say if, the complaint against Osbourne is upheld, it means at least half the Cabinet are toast

If, and I say if, the complaint against Osbourne is upheld, it means at least half the Cabinet are toast

If this was France we'd have taken to the streets. Perhaps something will kick off at Notting Hill this year, given that so many banksters now live there.

Osborne is a professional politician whose previous life experience is being the coddled heir to a wallpaper fortune, he has no idea about how the real world functions. If he claims ignorance I'd be inclined to believe him, I bet he doesn't even carry cash, like the Queen. That said, I think the concensus is this sort of professional parasite has had his or her day.

Seeing some of the comments on this thead it is funny how short many people's memories are.

George Osborne was the Shadow Chancellor who agreed to Labour's spending plans before Labour itself did.

You can't have it both ways. Although I'm sure some Nu-Blu types will attempt it :rolleyes:

Thats OK then. FFS.

Yeah go on screw Osborne over, has the Labour idiots thought this out.

If they get Osborne ousted, i'd laugh if Cameron shoved Ken Clarke in the treasury, that woud well and truly make Brown and Darling shiite themselves.

Yeah go on screw Osborne over, has the Labour idiots thought this out.

If they get Osborne ousted, i'd laugh if Cameron shoved Ken Clarke in the treasury, that woud well and truly make Brown and Darling shiite themselves.

I see, so stealing from the taxpayer isn't a problem to you if you are sitting on the correct side of the house?

The Tory party would tear itself in half if Ken Clarke got 'shoved' into the treasury, don't kid yourself.

I see, so stealing from the taxpayer isn't a problem to you if you are sitting on the correct side of the house?

The Tory party would tear itself in half if Ken Clarke got 'shoved' into the treasury, don't kid yourself.

No what gets me is the double standard,this has Mandy's fingers all over it, do you see Darling and his like getting investigated, if your going to do it, do it to them all, not cherrypick.

No what gets me is the double standard,this has Mandy's fingers all over it, do you see Darling and his like getting investigated, if your going to do it, do it to them all, not cherrypick.

Sounds to me like you are the one applying a double standard here.

He has been ratted on by the Tatton labour association.

Is it really so crazy as to think they might have been keeping close tabs on their MP?

If it goes the other way round can I count on seeing an outraged post from you as say, Jack Straw gets investigated?

Is it really so crazy as to think they might have been keeping close tabs on their MP?

If it goes the other way round can I count on seeing an outraged post from you as say, Jack Straw gets investigated?

Er i think you need to put the drink down and come back to reality and stop whinging.

If this was France we'd have taken to the streets. Perhaps something will kick off at Notting Hill this year, given that so many banksters now live there.

What, during carnival?

notting-hill-carnival_edited.jpg

It's a rather pleasant second home that we've all been paying the interest-only mortgage on.

Although for someone supposdely representing the Tatton constituency, which is centred on Knutsford, his house is stuck way out in the Peak District hills, about as remote as you could get, in Rainow on the way to Buxton. I can't imagine he meets any hoi polloi on a regular basis out there, except perhaps the occasional farmer. It's where you'd choose to live if you wanted to stay out of the public eye. Unusual for a politician, although seems to be the preference for most Tory grandees.

rainow.jpg

post-9973-1246553554_thumb.jpg

What I don't understand is, why hasn't the fees office become the subject of an investigation? Fair enough, MP's have been taking the p*ss, but if there were any parliamentary expenses being claimed that should not have been the fees office should have disallowed them.

The fees office in my opinion is more guilty than the politicians!!

Trouble is, if every guilty politician was to be investigated it would require the entire uk police force, we'd probably have to bring in foreign police to help out.

The only way to truly sort this mess out is disband both the Labour party and the Conservative party and never let them stand for Government again.

Why?

Have they got mortgages bigger than the amount they paid for their houses?

If you know something embarrassing, then tell all. All such stories gratefully received.

Er i think you need to put the drink down and come back to reality and stop whinging.

I think you should shut up if you don't have anything to say.