House Price Crash Forum

Received A Letter From A Debt Collector Today

kobaiashi

HOLA441

Hi, I wonder if anyone on here has any experience with debt collectors.

I received a letter today from a company named "pastduecredit.co.uk" which has requested me to phone them up "regarding an important matter" The number is an 0871 number, an no other information is given, except for opening times and a case number.

Does this sound dodgy? Has anyone received a letter from a debt collector before? I would expect they should lay out the resason for the contact in their letter.

I have just checked my online credit report and noticed nothing untoward, all payments up to date, no recent searches, no unsettled debts.

I'm certain we have not missed any bills recently, as have not received any reminders.

Can anyone help?

HOLA442
HOLA443
I just had a quick look around on google, and notice some people saying they debt collect on behalf of Scottish Power. Are u with SP?

We are with Scottish Gas but we pay by dd and our account is in credit...

Also with Scottish Hydroelectric, but paid the bill recently...

HOLA444
HOLA445

You might be able to avoid the premium rate number by finding a geographical one on Say No to 0870.

I had a string of letters from a debt collection agency after I terminated my contract with my previous broadband supplier (because the connection kept failing and they quite simply refused to believe that it was a fault with the line). I sent the month's notice by recorded delivery to the address on the contract, but they refused to close the account, and of course after I cancelled the direct debit they treated me as if I was in debt to them. In the end I had to threaten to sue them for libel (i.e. claiming that I owed them money when I didn't). Tip - stay well clear of Fair ADSL (who I think call themselves Fair Broadband now). They are anything but.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Usually if its a scam you see loads of people on google having the same thing. From a quick look around this looks to be a legit company.

Looks like you're gonna have to ring them, if only to put your mind at rest.

0871 is a pretty expensive premium rate number. I strongly suggest you don't call it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Hypothetically speaking, does the fact that a third person commissioned them to write the letter in the first place (i.e. that they were hired by a third party to make the false allegation) count?

Probably. It's publication of the defamatory statement which matters so dictating a letter to someone may be publishing the statement to them. I can't see that sending a letter makes any difference anyway though. If dictating a letter to them is publication then so is telling them what to say on the phone.

HOLA4415
Send a big letter to them with a small letter stamp, returning their letter and requesting details.

Edit: Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, call the number.

Why should I not call the number? What could happen?

I guess i'm worried there is something in the past that is long forgotten, which has been referred to a debt collector. Although, I have never received any demands for payment on any bills...

HOLA4416
Hi, I wonder if anyone on here has any experience with debt collectors.

I received a letter today from a company named "pastduecredit.co.uk" which has requested me to phone them up "regarding an important matter" The number is an 0871 number, an no other information is given, except for opening times and a case number.

Does this sound dodgy? Has anyone received a letter from a debt collector before? I would expect they should lay out the resason for the contact in their letter.

I have just checked my online credit report and noticed nothing untoward, all payments up to date, no recent searches, no unsettled debts.

I'm certain we have not missed any bills recently, as have not received any reminders.

Can anyone help?

Sounds like a debt collection agency to me, or possibly a tracing agency - they often don't put what it is about until they have you on the phone. They write to a number of people with the same or similar names to the person they are after, a fishing exercise. It's nothing unusual. If you know your affairs are in order I would ignore it - why should you pay a premium rate to tell them they have the wrong person?

HOLA4417
If dictating a letter to them is publication then so is telling them what to say on the phone.

The difference is that if you've got it on paper, you've got the evidence needed for an action. A phone conversation leaves no permanent record of what was said that can be used in court (unless, AFAIK, it was recorded with the prior and documented consent of both parties before the recording commenced).

HOLA4418

Ignore it. a lot of companies have been set up to buy Old credit files that banks etc have written off. they will fish for info and follow up if you give them the slightest excuse.

If you are really worried you could send them a letter with a £2 postal order and ask them to provide any details of their accusations against you or else to stop all correspondance . Do NOT give them any further info

HOLA4419

I'm not totally sure about the law on this but afaik there is a time limit on debts unless there is communication with the debtor.

That phone call could reset the debts expiry date (if there is debt).

Heads you win nothing, tails you lose.

HOLA4420

Ignore it.

If they phone you do not give them any details, simply demand to know why they are calling. If they don't even know your name but somehow know your number ask them to remove your telephone number from their database. Of course they don't do this (99% of the are unscrupulous bastards in my experience) and will just sell the debt to an even lower level collector.

I still a have UK mobile which is regularly called for debts which have absolutely nothing to do with me, if I'm bored I have a little fun with them then tell them i'm on the other side of the world and hangup.

HOLA4421
The difference is that if you've got it on paper, you've got the evidence needed for an action. A phone conversation leaves no permanent record of what was said that can be used in court (unless, AFAIK, it was recorded with the prior and documented consent of both parties before the recording commenced).

But the person you speak to will have to have it written down for them somewhere - like on a computer. Besides, even if they didn't then someone must have told them to begin with.

Anyway, it's irrelevant if what they are being told is true.

HOLA4422
I'm not totally sure about the law on this but afaik there is a time limit on debts unless there is communication with the debtor.

That phone call could reset the debts expiry date (if there is debt).

Heads you win nothing, tails you lose.

A contractual debt is statute barred from recovery action if it is more than six years old.

HOLA4423
You might be able to avoid the premium rate number by finding a geographical one on Say No to 0870.

I had a string of letters from a debt collection agency after I terminated my contract with my previous broadband supplier (because the connection kept failing and they quite simply refused to believe that it was a fault with the line). I sent the month's notice by recorded delivery to the address on the contract, but they refused to close the account, and of course after I cancelled the direct debit they treated me as if I was in debt to them. In the end I had to threaten to sue them for libel (i.e. claiming that I owed them money when I didn't). Tip - stay well clear of Fair ADSL (who I think call themselves Fair Broadband now). They are anything but.

I had a problem with a firm called ADSL over a phone system. Is this the same company?

HOLA4424
I had a problem with a firm called ADSL over a phone system. Is this the same company?

ADSL is a type of phone line - Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line. Presumably the company was called "Something ADSL" or "ADSL Something"?

HOLA4425
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA

All companys these days go to debt collectors at the first opportunity.

Look at past accounts that you have cancelled, sometimes they dont cancel em properly then end up sending at demanding letters to an address where you no longer live.

Archived