House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest redwine

Tour De France 2009

Guest redwine

The Tour de France 2009 starts on saturday in Monaco and will finish in Paris on the 26/07/2009 after having cycled 3450 km

Mark Cavanish is one of the favourites this man could make history by being the first "Brit" to win the "tour"

Is he any good ?

I know that he is a sprinter but has he got what it takes to win "le tour"

The Tour de France 2009 starts on saturday in Monaco and will finish in Paris on the 26/07/2009 after having cycled 3450 km

Mark Cavanish is one of the favourites this man could make history by being the first "Brit" to win the "tour"

Is he any good ?

I know that he is a sprinter but has he got what it takes to win "le tour"

No.

He`s a hell of a bike rider but as you say he`s a sprinter. He`ll lose too much time in the mountains.

He`ll finish behind David Millar...if he finishes

Its here on the 7th - "contre le montre" stage. I don't see much chance of my compatriot winning overall but it would be nice to take this stage.

Hope he's done some heat training - 36C again here today.

The Brits generally are not into cycling. Not surprising given the traffic in the UK. I'm more your off-road type but a bit too warm even for me this week. Might cycle into the city to watch the TdF next week if we're here. Thieves broke into our car last week and pinched the hydration packs :( Seeing a lot of glass residue in the car parks out in the mountains now :( €220 for a new window so they could get a couple of packs worth maybe €30 at most.... grrrr

Guest redwine
Its here on the 7th - "contre le montre" stage. I don't see much chance of my compatriot winning overall but it would be nice to take this stage.

Hope he's done some heat training - 36C again here today.

The second day of the tour de france and Mark Cavandish won the stage his heat training has worked over 40c today on the tour

Keep up the good work

The second day of the tour de france and Mark Cavandish won the stage his heat training has worked over 40c today on the tour

Keep up the good work

I saw the finish on Eurosport, that was a frightening turn of speed. He looks almost unbeatable on the flat.

The Brits generally are not into cycling.

Yeah true, we did rubbish at the Olympics.

As for Cavendish as mentioned he is a sprint rider, might well win the points championship but will suffer on the mountain stages. I think he currently leads the points race but is 175 overall.

Yeah true, we did rubbish at the Olympics.

As for Cavendish as mentioned he is a sprint rider, might well win the points championship but will suffer on the mountain stages. I think he currently leads the points race but is 175 overall.

+1.

The Brit men may not win the men's race. But otherwise, I have 4 words:

Nicole Cooke, Emma Pooley.

Of course, with our MSM in the UK, few people will know about their victories.

Guest redwine

Just watched the last 30 km of the "tour" couldn't watch it all cos of work

Mark Cavendish has just won again two in a row

He's looking good but Armstrong is back

Just watched the last 30 km of the "tour" couldn't watch it all cos of work

Mark Cavendish has just won again two in a row

He's looking good but Armstrong is back

Armstrong is a wiley old coyote..... I think him being in the break today is almost certainly part of a powerplay over who gets to be leader of Astana. Remember the Hinault-Lemond tour? This could get very interesting, what with old loyalties, new loyalties and him being the money man in the team.

Great stuff from Cav.

Not kept up with le tour for a few years.

Is Zabel still around? I know the chippolata retired a good few years back. Great to see some Brits winning stages, but I can't see one winning le tour, unless they live and train pretty much anywhere but in the U.K.

Guest redwine
Remember the Hinault-Lemond tour? This could get very interesting, what with old loyalties, new loyalties and him being the money man in the team.

Great stuff from Cav.

The tour de France 1986 i think

Bernard Hinault V Greg lemond another time and the good old days of EPO dopping

Today its Lance Armstrong V Alberto Contador we will see who will give up first ?

Armstrong has the experience and i think that the "tour" needs him since he left it has turned into a ugly mess

Guest redwine

Cavendish third today still holds the green jersey but his overall classement on Le tour is the 60th place

Just looking at the overall classement a certain Bradley Wiggins a Brit is 6th in Le tour never heard of him

Anyone know anything about him listening to the radio at work and nobody talks about him

Wiggins has won multiple gold medals at the olympics for track cycling, pursuit I think. He's lost a bit of weight so may do quite well in the mountains, he did in the Giro. Cavendish is an out and out sprinter and goes for stage wins and possibly the green jersey (points jersey) for most consistent stage finisher, he doesn't have a hope of winning the thing overall. Best British cyclist ever in terms of finishing the highest in the overall standings was Robert Millar in 1984, finished 4th and won the polka dot jersey for the best climber:

robert millar

No.

He`s a hell of a bike rider but as you say he`s a sprinter. He`ll lose too much time in the mountains.

He`ll finish behind David Millar...if he finishes

True, an amazing sprinter but no history in the mountains. David Millar has never been quite the same since he came off the drugs but, as you say, will probably finish first amongst the Brits. Bradley Wiggins may surprise everyone I guess, although he too is more of a sprinter than a climber I think.

Guest DisposableHeroes

This is going to be a good tour. Looking forward to Andorra.

What about Armstong?

I'm sat here in me Lycra with a big old bag of drugs, just at the thought.

This is going to be a good tour. Looking forward to Andorra.

What about Armstong?

I'm sat here in me Lycra with a big old bag of drugs, just at the thought.

Yes, might be one of the best for years.

Contador will cook Armstrong's goose in the mountains ...

Guest DisposableHeroes
Yes, might be one of the best for years.

Contador will cook Armstrong's goose in the mountains ...

Armstrong's got a bloody good cardiovascular system and works at silly high cadence. He's smart and very determined. I can't wait to see.

If he win's eight, it will be clean and amazing.

Good insight from some of the riders from their twitters.

Armstrong's got a bloody good cardiovascular system and work at silly high cadence. He's smart and very determined. I can't wait to see.

If he win's eight, it will be clean and amazing.

Good insight from some of the riders from their twitters.

True, tactically Armstrong could pull a few tricks on Contador (well he has once already in stage 2). Think Andy Schlek might do well too.

Guest DisposableHeroes
True, tactically Armstrong could pull a few tricks on Contador (well he has once already in stage 2). Think Andy Schlek might do well too.

Yeah Andy Schleks great in the mountian's. It's great to have a good selection of riders in contention people have seen before. I hope the drugs don't spoil it this year. I think the testing for epo and derivatives is too good to risk it now.

Do you think this tour will be pretty clean, apart from any body gains from drug use (dwain chambers may not be taking steriods now, but he benefits from the muscle growth they gave him).

Shows where Armstrong's minds at.

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” --Mahatma Gandhi

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong?page=1

Yeah Andy Schleks great in the mountian's. It's great to have a good selection of riders in contention people have seen before. I hope the drugs don't spoil it this year. I think the testing for epo and derivatives is too good to risk it now.

Do you think this tour will be pretty clean, apart from any body gains from drug use (dwain chambers may not be taking steriods now, but he benefits from the muscle growth they gave him).

Shows where Armstrong's minds at.

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.†--Mahatma Gandhi

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong?page=1

Dunno to be honest, there is another new EPO out there called dynEPO, although they can test for it, so that may put potential cheaters off. There is also autologous blood transfusion which has a similar effect and is undetectable I believe, so if you are going to cheat that would be the 'safest' way to do it.

Yes, you've got admire Armstrong's will to win, I suppose being that ill let's you see what's really possible if you put your mind to it.

Guest redwine

Millar could of won it today but he left the peloton to early

Cavendish still has the green jersey but only by 1 point

Wiggins is 6th now yesterday 5th soon it will be over for the Brits

Good fun watching Armstrong V Contador the new "dallas" on the tour

Well, Wiggins is hanging in there - he's looked very strong in the Pyrenees, wonder how he'll do in the alps? Quite a transformation from track sprinter to mountain climbing road racer, very impressive.