House Price Crash Forum

Immigrants Take 70% Of New Uk Jobs

HOLA441

70% of new jobs taken by migrants

More than seven out of ten jobs created under the Labour Government have been taken by foreign-born workers, experts revealed last night.

The percentage of new jobs taken by those born overseas is the highest of any of the major economies analysed by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

The Conservatives said it was yet more evidence that the Government had failed to deliver 'British jobs for British workers'.

Romanian workers harvest the grape crop in an English vineyard in Sussex.

Migrant workers: Romanian employees harvest the grape crop in a vineyard in Sussex

The internationally-respected OECD said that in the first ten years of Labour rule, employment rose by around two million jobs.

But it said 'almost 1.5million of this was accounted for by persons born abroad' - 71 per cent of the total.

In the U.S., immigrant employment accounted for 58 per cent of new jobs. In France, it made up less than 20 per cent of the total, and in Ireland and Australia less than 30 per cent.

Over a ten-year period, only Luxembourg saw more of its new jobs taken by migrant workers, the OECD said.

Tory immigration spokesman Damian Green said: 'Yet another of Gordon Brown's soundbites has proved to be false. This Government has created British jobs for foreign workers and all his pledges about new job creation are shown to be bogus.'

Around a third of the migrant workers arrived here on controversial intra-company transfers, the OECD said.

The system allows international companies to transfer their staff to the UK for supposedly limited periods.

Migrant Express

A coach-load of economic migrants from the Polish town of Zychlin board a coach to start their new lives in Britain in 2004

But the companies did not have to advertise the post in the UK first and staff can stay for up to three years, plus a possible two-year extension after which they can apply for settlement.

The OECD figures cover the period from March 1997 to March 2007. But, since then, ministers have continued to hand out work permits to non-EU nationals in record numbers.

In 2008, as the country slid into recession, 151,635 were issued. The document lets non-EU workers take or keep jobs here, despite hundreds of thousands of Britons losing theirs.

Unemployment rose by 290,000 from December 1, 2007 to November 30, 2008, to reach 1.92million.

In 2007, when the economy was growing, 129,700 work permits were approved. In 1997, the year Labour came to power, 42,800 were handed out.

The OECD report also predicts that temptation for Poles and other Eastern Europeans to work in Britain may soon return.

Anecdotal evidence suggests-significant numbers of migrants have returned home in the economic downturn.

This is due to fewer jobs being available in industries such as construction and the collapse in the value of the pound.

But the report says the pound's appreciation relative to the zloty (the currency of Poland) may 'reduce the incentive to return'.

Border and Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said: 'We've introduced a flexible points based system which allows us to raise and lower the bar according to the needs of the labour market. This ensures only those with the skills we need, and no more, can come to work in Britain.'

Well. If we could work for less money then we would see this number go down drastically.

Unfortunately, we are a nation of lazy demanding greedy kunts who refuse to support our own country; we demand cheap stuff, no matter the human cost or moral hazard.

This is Britain. Same as it ever was.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
Does the upside of this mean most job losses will be immigrants then?

Sorry what am I thinking they want to work of course it won't be them getting sacked.

Actually this plan is genius we can all go on the dole and be kept by foreign workers.

Yep. Despite all the venom for immigrant workers, there is faction of government that adores them.

HMRC

It's a boon. These workers pay the taxes on pare with a British worker, but cannot collect a lot of it.

Perfect!

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest sillybear2
Does the upside of this mean most job losses will be immigrants then?

It could mean you sack expensive British workers with their f***d up 125% mortgages to support and replace them with a cheap and merry band of casual workers.

HOLA446
It's a boon. These workers pay the taxes on pare with a British worker, but cannot collect a lot of it.

Perfect!

Or not.

I know someone who moved into a house that had lots of eastern european people living there for 12 months. The forms from the tax man that turned up mean that 3 of them didn't pay a bean in tax whilst they were here.

HOLA447
Or not.

I know someone who moved into a house that had lots of eastern european people living there for 12 months. The forms from the tax man that turned up mean that 3 of them didn't pay a bean in tax whilst they were here.

That is not a bad thing either.

Labour was exchanged for probably less than the legal wage limit, but the taxman didn't directly get paid. No huge loss and a plus for the shadow economy. Those workers still have to live and eat in Britain.

To me, that is infinitely better than some lazy British git on the dole.

HOLA448

Labour was exchanged for probably less than the legal wage limit, but the taxman didn't directly get paid. No huge loss and a plus for the shadow economy. Those workers still have to live and eat in Britain.

I would rather employers who do this got kicked in the front pants.

I think lazy chavs should be kicked out the country though. No boat or anything, just kicked off beachy head.

Not that I'm peed off now because for the second week running some poor curry bloke has turned up with a sack of curry and been sent away because I didn't order it.

HOLA449

It all comes back to high private house prices and lack of social housing - how on earth do you get people to work for low wages unless they're in affordable accommodation?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest sillybear2
A new government booklet is available with lots of useful hints about living in the cupboard for weeks on end and eating tinned food.

180px_CompeteAndSurvive_copy.jpg

"Stay in your home [assuming you still have one or could afford one in the first place]"

To be honest these H-bombs seem a bit tame, they can only destroy buildings up to 5 miles, whilst HBOmbS and RBS destroyed the entire economy :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPOo9mRQbTQ

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
70% of new jobs taken by migrants

Well. If we could work for less money then we would see this number go down drastically.

Unfortunately, we are a nation of lazy demanding greedy kunts who refuse to support our own country; we demand cheap stuff, no matter the human cost or moral hazard.

This is Britain. Same as it ever was.

I`m under the impression that we demand expensive stuff. The reporter on BBC breakfast news the other day was asking if it was too early to crack open the champagne over Nationwide`s report of a 0.9% rise in house prices in June. ;)

HOLA4416

More than seven out of ten jobs created under the Labour Government have been taken by foreign-born workers, "experts" :D:D revealed last night.

(my emphasis)

Hmm..

So let me get this right. New Labour have created 10 new jobs in the last decade or so. OK, not many but its a start.

More than 7 (must be eight I guess) are taken by people that were born overseas.

So around eight people, possibly from the EU or possibly English people that were born overseas (like kids of our "hero" troops [sick]) have got a job out of New Labour?

Fair enough.

How many people have lost their job? (Irrespective of the irrelevance of where they were born)

HOLA4417
It all comes back to high private house prices and lack of social housing - how on earth do you get people to work for low wages unless they're in affordable accommodation?

Very much agree. Vineyards in Britain are a marginal enterprise, producing a product in oversupply worldwide. Why should our 'entrepreneurs' import foreign labour subsidised by our structures, yet complain that British workers will not do the job for peanuts? The argument that British workers are idle compared to immigrant labour does not recognise that the financial choices the people concerned have to make are very different.

Managers take easy options. The role of Government is to constain them if management are acting against the best interests of the Electorate. Get on with it.

HOLA4418

Doesn't this also argue for eventual plunging house prices. Poles and other immigrants are willing to work at these rates because of cheap living standards in Poland and other countries. So it is essentially an economic arbitrage in a free market. Same with India to a large extent. £5-10 an hour is a lot of money in India.. rent for a month there is something like £15 a month.

So the arbitrage can be closed with rising costs and wages in Poland, falling wages in Britain, and falling costs namely houses in Britain. Already some areas of Britain saw a monster 20% decline in rents during the first few months of the year.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Export bone idle scroungling lazy good for nothing t0ssers

Import folks happy to roll their sleeves up and get on with it

No.

Stop importation of cheap labour. Let supply-demand rebalance occur as it should without such distortive mechanisms. Let low end wages rise to where it is at the necessary clearing price, for uk citizens to do backbreaking, strenuous, or unpleasant work.

The "uk workers wont do these jobs" type comments, are simply an excuse by the general populace to pay low wages and to profit from it via cheap goods/services, and via greater wage stratification.

Most people believe this crap because they simply don't understand the mechanisms involved. The others do understand but are two-faced greedy bastards who know they benefit from it, and from getting people to believe it. Which are you?

HOLA4422

A hard working couple I know work for a contact lens company.

They helped train some people from Hungary.

The couple have been informed that they are to be made redundant as the work is going to Hungary.

70% of new jobs going to immigrants plus many British workers being dumped in this way.

HOLA4423
No.

Stop importation of cheap labour. Let supply-demand rebalance occur as it should without such distortive mechanisms. Let low end wages rise to where it is at the necessary clearing price, for uk citizens to do backbreaking, strenuous, or unpleasant work.

The "uk workers wont do these jobs" type comments, are simply an excuse by the general populace to pay low wages and to profit from it via cheap goods/services, and via greater wage stratification.

Most people believe this crap because they simply don't understand the mechanisms involved. The others do understand but are two-faced greedy bastards who know they benefit from it, and from getting people to believe it. Which are you?

I work very hard. I don't care where folks come from as long as they are prpeared to work. The Uk has a minimum wage

and if jobs are dished out by a contestable process employers can employ who they like

HOLA4424
I work very hard. I don't care where folks come from as long as they are prpeared to work. The Uk has a minimum wage

and if jobs are dished out by a contestable process employers can employ who they like

Then dont complain when the amount of people in need of some kind of benefits rises like housing benefits because they are paid min wage, leading to your council tax bill rising.

HOLA4425

Archived