House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I Told You So

Head Of Boe At Wimbledon

One of the annoyances of this years Wimbledon is the regular pan round by the camera onto smug celebrities. More annoying than Cliff Richard singing "Congratulations." Speaking of "The Cliff" has he retired?

what is the problem. He's entitled to an afternoon off, like everyone else. What difference is it going to make if he's turned up at the tennis this afternoon. He presumably got Alistair to sign his holiday form ...

Guest sillybear2

He just wanted to see what some green shoots really look like.

Merv sitting smuggly on centre court watching Murray, I'm sorry but that's not good PR

That's not the half of it. I believe RBS have a 150K expenses account for Wimbledon just for corporate entertainment - an employee told me last night. Also they sponsor Murray to the tune of approx £1 million this year but there are talks that some bright spark from the Murray camp decided that this would not be great PR for him; I cant find any hard evidence that he has given up his deal though, just a lot of 'wish-wash' to make him look better.

Edited by MinceBalls

That's not the half of it. I believe RBS have a 150K expenses account for Wimbledon just for corporate entertainment - an employee told me last night. Also they sponsor Murray to the tune of approx £1 million this year but there are talks that some bright spark from the Murray camp decided that this would not be great PR for him; I cant find any hard evidence that he has given up his deal though, just a lot of 'wish-wash' to make him look better.
they contracted to pay X years for the box. Same with the Murray sponsorship deal. They are signed agreements and legally binding. Why is there a problem with that ? Should they be entitled to just rip them up without paying compo out or having them specifically enforced just because the government is now the majority shareholder ? Of course not ? What will you do if your employer decides to just terminate your contract for the fun of it ? Thought so ....

Guest sillybear2
do you thinks hes thrown the towel in, can't get Labour to take any action on his warnings so down to Wimbledon

Maybe he's had enough of watching balls?

what is the problem. He's entitled to an afternoon off, like everyone else. What difference is it going to make if he's turned up at the tennis this afternoon. He presumably got Alistair to sign his holiday form ...

Absolutely!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...DDd01gzHoLOXgdQ

One of the annoyances of this years Wimbledon is the regular pan round by the camera onto smug celebrities. More annoying than Cliff Richard singing "Congratulations." Speaking of "The Cliff" has he retired?

Yup, and that idiot Andrew Castle reading out what must be the Wikipedia entry for each 'personality' when the camera's on them - as if we don't know who the fook they are.

Great players don't necessarily make great commentators. Castle proves that crap players don't either ...

:angry:

do you thinks hes thrown the towel in, can't get Labour to take any action on his warnings so down to Wimbledon

As someone on BBC HYS just wrote: "Mervyn King suggests a course of action to save the economy. A bunch of politicians with barely an economics degree between them disagree. Politicians win. We're f*cked.". :lol::huh::unsure::o

Sorry for wrong post - I was going to say that Merv is entitled to a day off as much as anyone else.

Due to Mervs due diligence over the last few years there are many other UK workers who also have today off problem is that they have also probably got the rest of the year off and they haven't got the money to keep a roof over their heads never mind a centre court ticket.

to be fair Brown chose to change the inflation measure and set the target, his meddling left merv no swerving room. If brown has stuck to the original inflation measure then IRs would have gone higher earlier and nipped the housing bubble in the bud.

they contracted to pay X years for the box. Same with the Murray sponsorship deal. They are signed agreements and legally binding. Why is there a problem with that ? Should they be entitled to just rip them up without paying compo out or having them specifically enforced just because the government is now the majority shareholder ? Of course not ? What will you do if your employer decides to just terminate your contract for the fun of it ? Thought so ....

And therefore, extrapolating your argument, Fred Goodwin deserves every penny of his pension. The point here is basic - RBS were and are BANKRUPT. Simple. In any other world other than the ‘too big to fail’ world, RBS would have gone into administration. What do you think would happen to all these contracts then? And what pension would FG now be receiving (hint: its 28Kpa).

And therefore, extrapolating your argument, Fred Goodwin deserves every penny of his pension. The point here is basic - RBS were and are BANKRUPT. Simple. In any other world other than the ‘too big to fail’ world, RBS would have gone into administration. What do you think would happen to all these contracts then? And what pension would FG now be receiving (hint: its 28Kpa).

but they didn't let it fail, did they. You can't go picking and choosing which contracts you will and won't honour. Either they let it go under/into administration and it's terminated (no doubt in accordance with its terms) or you pay up. The point is also that bankruptcy (or insolvency as it's a corporate) did not happen. So it's not bankrupt and never was.

BTW, I do think that Fred was totally entitled to his pension - deserved is a different question, but entitled to it, absolutely.

BTW, I do think that Fred was totally entitled to his pension - deserved is a different question, but entitled to it, absolutely.

Of course you do - I knew that before you wrote it. We'll just have to agree to disagree on both these issues as its not worth an afternoon of forum arguing to change neither opinion. I could but I won't ;)