House Price Crash Forum

Detecting Psychopathy

Dave Spart

HOLA441

People are slowly realising the prevalence of sociopaths and psychopaths in society and the risk they have posed and the destruction they have wrought especially in the context of the crisis.

DNA Electronics recently developed a handheld device to assesses whether patients are genetically predisposed to suffering adverse reactions to prescription drugs.

Given that its now understood there is a strong genetic component in psychopathic behaviour could the device be modified to catch psychopaths before they wreak catastrophe?

Just imagine being able to Twitter the results of testing a banker, politician or businessman or some other miscreant. Game over!

HOLA442
HOLA443
People are slowly realising the prevalence of sociopaths and psychopaths in society and the risk they have posed and the destruction they have wrought especially in the context of the crisis.

DNA Electronics recently developed a handheld device to assesses whether patients are genetically predisposed to suffering adverse reactions to prescription drugs.

Given that its now understood there is a strong genetic component in psychopathic behaviour could the device be modified to catch psychopaths before they wreak catastrophe?

I prefer the one the police used, where they attached a collander to some wires and a photocopier. Inside the photocopier was a piece of paper that said "He's Lying".

One officer put the collander on the head of the (very gullible) suspect and the other policeman stood behind him out of sight of the suspect, but near the photocopier. Everytime he gave an answer they didn't like, the out of sight policeman pressed the copy button.

After a few questions, he confessed.

Very Life on Mars, but it must be true cos I read it in a "book to read on the toilet" which was full of fascinating factoids.

I will stop now and sorry for disrupting your thread.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Steve Cook

Just imagine being able to Twitter the results of testing a banker, politician or businessman or some other miscreant. Game over!

Lock the bad people up before they do the bad thing eh?

I take you haven't read any Orwell lately?

HOLA446

I didn't say anything about locking them up.

Apparently dopamine can be used to treat sociopathy and psychopathy.

HOLA447
I didn't say anything about locking them up.

Apparently dopamine can be used to treat sociopathy and psychopathy.

I think that's far from mainstream - a hypothesis under test at best.

There are no simple "treatments" of established effectiveness for any personality disorder. (I add "simple" because I believe there is some evidence that complex social interventions like therapeutic communities can help.)

Dr Selling Up, GP and ex-junior psychiatrist

HOLA448
Guest AuntJess

Psychopaths are supposed to have different brainwaves to 'normals' . find A way to detect those and you have cracked it.

Link on Psychopaths

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_...ck/psych_6.html

Extract.

When a psychopath does inherit genetically-based, developmental disabilities, its is usually a stunted development of the higher functions of the brain. 30-38% of psychopaths show abnormal brain wave patterns, or EEGs. Infants and children typically have slower brain wave activity, but it increases as they grow up. Not with psychopaths. Eventually, the brain might mature as the psychopath ages. This may be why most serial killers are under 50. The abnormal brain wave activity comes from the temporal lobes and the limbic system of the brain, the areas that control memory and emotions. When development of this part of the brain is genetically impaired, and the parents of the child are abusive, irresponsible or manipulative, the stage is set for disaster.

another snippet - Wiki Answers.com

Aside from this is the fact that a true psychopath has an extremely peculiar brainwave pattern: while awake, their brain waves most resemble a hybrid of normal waking brain waves and alpha-level sleep waves. And they often tend to sleep deeply.

Emotionally, they are cold, detached, distant, and yet deeply resentful of normal people.

They know they're missing something, and often spend most of their typically short, tragic lives avenging themselves on others for having what they themselves cannot ever enjoy.

So they are not truly emotionless, but they do not love, do not know true joy, and are hostile and destructive.

HOLA449
Guest skullingtonjoe

Looks like someone`s been reading too much Minority Report! :lol::lol: Whoever came up with this device sounds like a bit of a psychopath! :rolleyes:

HOLA4410

don't need anything that fancy,we have the department of pre-crime!!!minority report here we come!!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

maybe we need a new classification - for well meaning idiots who, en masse, bring down the economy:

mass stupidpathy

or mass sheeplepathy

or maybe it's a temporary condition:

stupid-itus

sheeple-itus

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It seems to me to be logical that there is a symbiotic relationship between sheeple and psychopaths. We get a terribly dumbed down education system and media (newspapers and TV) guaranteed to reinforce sheepledom. Sheeple are easy prey for psychopaths who can manipulate and exploit them to their hearts content. So it seems very logical that it is malignant narcissists and psychopaths who pull the strings at the top. The news of massive pay and perks for top media executives and politicians reinforces my theory of how dysfunctional the top people are.

HOLA4415

As I say, I didn't say anything about locking them up.

Instead we could have a register similar to the register kept for sex offenders.

Here's how it might work : When people exhibit anti-social behaviour - and therefore the symptoms of sociopathy and psychopathy - they get tested. That's fair enough - they have incriminated themselves. If positive the result goes on file with the police. Ideally this kind of behaviour will show up before adulthood. The police will be inpossession of information that could solve crime more quickly and prevent a crime wave before it gets going. The punishment is tailored to dealing with such anti-social behaviour.

This way you could catch individuals with potential for extremely nasty behaviour before they commit it and spare their otherwise prospective victims from misery and despair from which they might not recover.

HOLA4416

Archived