House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
volvos60

20p Pieces - Gordon's Masterstroke

So 20p pieces without dates are worth around £50 - is the hyperquantitative easing?

Ah, but what about those 20p pieces with dates? - this time next year they'll be worth 15p.....

I dont really get the whole thing. The 20p have no dates on...So.... Why does this make them worth £50 to recover them, and who is paying this money? It is a million pounds if all of them are recovered. :blink:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...face-value.html

Soaring demand pushed the price of a rare 20p piece up to £7,100 on eBay yesterday.

Experts had predicted that the coins, minted without a date mark, could be worth £50 each.

But collectors have been scrambling to buy the currency after it emerged that the Royal Mint made an error when producing tens of thousands of 20p pieces earlier this year.

Excellent how to turn 20p into thousands.

Why return to Mint when you can stick them on ebay?

So the answer is, they are worth at least £50, but could be worth a lot more from a collector. Though I cant imagine them being that much in demand, its a UK 20p coin with no date on. Its not a gold krugerrand rescued from the titanic. :lol:

Why return to Mint when you can stick them on ebay?

On the news this morning. One of those 20p`s was bid up to £7,500 on ebay :o:blink:

The link / quote is wrong. There is no "could be worth" they are worth £50 if returned to the mint. <_<

So if one holds the coins as the others get destroyed, the 20p one holds increases in value. Is Gordy teaching people to save?

Looks like people have again fallen for a 'secret' get rich quick scheme that's so 'secret' they found out about it in the newspaper. Lucky it's only with 20p pieces, imagine if this happened with people's most expensive lifetime purchase. :unsure:

Guest sillybear2

Mints profit from this sort of thing every day of the week anyway, it's called Seigniorage, the process of turning bits of worthless metal and paper into actual value. This is a rather extreme example however, given the collectors interest.

MONEY NOW WORTH RANDOM AMOUNTS

The Daily Mash

TWENTY pence is now worth £50, a tenner is worth 12p and a 2p piece is worth about four grand, it was confirmed last night.

Martin Bishop, Coinmaker-in-Chief at the Royal Mint, said it all started when he accidentally made a load of 20ps with no date on.

"The next day some bloke said they were worth fifty quid and, even though it didn't make much sense at the time, no one thought to argue.'

He added: "Now it's all a bit ******ed up."

Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England, said he had finally decided to give up, adding: "I've bought a guitar and am going to go round the local pubs doing Tom Petty covers."

The sudden, totally random and utterly inexplicable change in the value of money is a boon for those who collect coins or have recently used a fiver to buy some Tic Tacs.

Edie Godley, 82, from Worcester has a large cider bottle completely filled with the small brown coins that used to be worth 1p and 2p each.

penny.jpg

The new £324,587 coin

She added: "I collect coppers because I am lonely and enjoy taking them to the bank, where I can chat to the teller as she laboriously counts them out, while people stand behind me, calling me a 'manky old shit'.

"But now each two pence piece is worth £800,012 so I have decided to buy Norway and make myself its Queen. It's going to be lovely."

Others, like Dave Stein, a gangster and drug dealer from Chigwell, are less pleased.

"I had just left a major heroin deal with a suitcase full of unmarked fifties. Apparently they're now worth 0.0086p each. I've already spent it all on a Wispa. I'm gutted."

Guest sillybear2
That's amazing. I almost want to put some 20p pieces up im sure i'd make a few quid!

You'd only feel guilty, candy from an idiot and all that...