House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
operator

Why Is The International Development Aid Budget Sacracent.

I believe the conservatives have said along with health they won't touch the International Development Aid budget. Labour have increased it's budget tremendously over recent years. From the treasury website

" Over the CSR07 period, DFID's budget will grow by an average of 11 per cent a year, rising from £5.4 billion in 2007-08 to £7.9 billion a year by 2010-11." With the state we are in can really afford these increases.

Guest sillybear2

Because how else would countries like Tanzania afford to buy our advanced air traffic control systems to defend against the non-existent air forces from neighbouring countries?

Because politicians like to impress the people who go to Islington dinner parties.

And such people feel a sense of wellbeing about giving money to foreigners which they don't get if the money is instead spent on building a road or power station in this country.

We couldn't possibly remove the financial boot from the head of poor foreign nations. They might realise they don't need us after all.

Indeed: 'foreign aid' keeps many brutal dictators in power and prevents the people of those countries from progressing to the point where they could compete for jobs with Britons.

So it's really rather cheap at the price.

This is certainly one area I would want a careful look at.... where we can prove it's doing us some good then there's an argument for keeping it, anything else I'd lose.

I am not entirely hard hearted though.. where the justification is food/health then we should work with the large very good charities who operate corruption free, perhaps donating money to those in a particular need area rather than effectively giving it to which dictator is in charge.

I suspect on those grounds we could save something over my target for the whole budget (10%).. perhaps as much as 50%

Because if the government pledged to cut it they'd be adopting another BNP policy

The BNP have a lot of common sense policies. Despite having their own space program, nuclear weapons etc we give money to India :lol:

Things like this should not come from tax revenue. If people want to give to charities to help inferior countries then they can. :angry:

Doesn't some of this aid have conditions to it? We'll give you money and then you buy arms from us?

Yeah, I'm sure it does. And where it does I'd probably on balance leave it in place as its effectievly a budget for our own economic aid.... but i'd be surprised if there isn't a lot that does us no good and precious little good to the people of the country we give it to.

Guest KingCharles1st
Doesn't some of this aid have conditions to it? We'll give you money and then you buy arms from us?

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

Guest eight
Because how else would countries like Tanzania afford to buy our advanced air traffic control systems to defend against the non-existent air forces from neighbouring countries?

We should sell planes to the neighbouring countries, just to be certain.

eight

I believe the conservatives have said along with health they won't touch the International Development Aid budget. Labour have increased it's budget tremendously over recent years. From the treasury website

" Over the CSR07 period, DFID's budget will grow by an average of 11 per cent a year, rising from £5.4 billion in 2007-08 to £7.9 billion a year by 2010-11." With the state we are in can really afford these increases.

Well with some people thinking QE is the answer, why don't we just send the countries that need help printing presses? If it is so clever for us, why don't other countries just print money?!

It just shows how shambolic our government is.

How on earth is India expected to send another rocket to the moon without the £825m we give them?

How much money was that ?