House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Wifi Silicon And Heat - Non Forced Air Electronics Suffering In The Heat

Ok, I seem to have developed a really annoying technical problem yesterday and today.

I spent a while fixing my Netgear DG834GT wifi ADSL router yesterday as both myself and my wife kept getting bad connections which were represented as a failure to gain authorisation. Having debugged an apostrophe issue that prevented me updating the WEP keys (ie the SSID was MikeLivingstone's hotspot) I thought I had solved the issue, though I had only encountered the apostrophe issue having bothered to upgrade the firmware in response to the original problem. So logically this wasn't the solution.

Anyhow same thing happened today, so I switched to the BT homehub (yuck), but within about 20 minutes I had the same problem.

So, I have now concluded this is a thermal issue and in particular it seems to relate to the chip that handles WEP keys, perhaps bits are going AWOL due to thermal noise. Both devices work fine on good old CAT5E.

My desktop PC and AMD Athalon 3200+ is happy as larry at 37.5C, but it has more forced air than a big thing that forces air. However, I have decided that my wifi routers are fundamentally crap for hot conditions and I am not about to install air con.

Anyone got any suggestions on a good, reasonably to medium priced broadband wifi router.

Ok, I seem to have developed a really annoying technical problem yesterday and today.

I spent a while fixing my Netgear DG834GT wifi ADSL router yesterday as both myself and my wife kept getting bad connections which were represented as a failure to gain authorisation. Having debugged an apostrophe issue that prevented me updating the WEP keys (ie the SSID was MikeLivingstone's hotspot) I thought I had solved the issue, though I had only encountered the apostrophe issue having bothered to upgrade the firmware in response to the original problem. So logically this wasn't the solution.

Anyhow same thing happened today, so I switched to the BT homehub (yuck), but within about 20 minutes I had the same problem.

So, I have now concluded this is a thermal issue and in particular it seems to relate to the chip that handles WEP keys, perhaps bits are going AWOL due to thermal noise. Both devices work fine on good old CAT5E.

My desktop PC and AMD Athalon 3200+ is happy as larry at 37.5C, but it has more forced air than a big thing that forces air. However, I have decided that my wifi routers are fundamentally crap for hot conditions and I am not about to install air con.

Anyone got any suggestions on a good, reasonably to medium priced broadband wifi router.

Get home plugs and if you really want to have wifi for a laptop it'll be over a much shorter distance,

Had a similar problem with my router here - took the top off it and blasted a fan into its guts, problem solved.

I also removed the top of my router.

I measured the voltage of the supplied wall wart and it seems pretty high but I haven't measured it under load. If it kicks out too much voltage, that gets converted to heat. A project I haven't got round to yet is rig up a pc poiwer supply to power it, should run cooler then.