House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tin Foil Hat

Scientists Make Radio Waves Travel Faster Than Light

Link

Scientist John Singleton insists that Albert Einstein wouldn't be mad at him, even though at first blush Singleton appears to have twisted the famous physicist's theories about light into a pretzel.

Most people think Einstein said that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, but that's not really the case, Singleton said.

Einstein predicted that particles and information can't travel faster than the speed of light �" but phenomenon like radio waves? That's a different story, said Singleton, a Los Alamos National Laboratory Fellow.

Singleton has created a gadget that abuses radio waves so severely that they finally give in and travel faster than light.

t0m537.jpg

Make it so MoFo.

:P

Most people think Einstein said that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, but that's not really the case, Singleton said.

Einstein predicted that particles and information can't travel faster than the speed of light — but phenomenon like radio waves? That's a different story, said Singleton, a Los Alamos National Laboratory Fellow.

http://current.com/items/90301786_scientis...-than-light.htm

facepalm-original.jpg

BTW knowing nothing about physics I don't know either way, just a chance to use facepalm.jpg

breaking one of the commonly held conclusions of special relativity will probably be a good enough excuse to bypass the future need for general elections, according to the Dear Leader

Guest KingCharles1st

OMG- so- those aliens sitting out in outer space- have been listening to Terry Wogan for since before time began

Poor fu ckers

breaking one of the commonly held conclusions of special relativity will probably be a good enough excuse to bypass the future need for general elections, according to the Dear Leader

When you say "Dear Leader" do you me the type of Dear you want to run up and hug, or the other Dear where everything is now Dearer in cost terms? Shame he is not a Deer, we could shoot the fvcker!

Singleton has created a gadget that abuses radio waves so severely that they finally give in and travel faster than light.

I'm all for scientific progress, but let's face it, a minature robot that touches radio waves' wee-wees just isn't on.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...96549&hl=en

'Tesla transverse and longitudinal electric waves'

He's only a century late.

I'm sure this won't interest many people but Tesla was an amazing guy. After all he gave the world A/C and the ditched it for pulsed D/C - he was ready to give the world free energy until JP Morgan asked where to put the meter. lol.

:o

When you say "Dear Leader" do you me the type of Dear you want to run up and hug, or the other Dear where everything is now Dearer in cost terms? Shame he is not a Deer, we could shoot the fvcker!

from Wikipedia:

Kim Jong-il (also written as Kim Jong Il) (born 16 February 1941, Vyatskoye, Khabarovsk Krai, Soviet Union; official biographies state 16 February 1942, Baekdu Mountain, Korea under Japanese rule) is the de facto leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. He is the Chairman of the National Defense Commission, Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army, and General Secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (the ruling party since 1948). He succeeded his father Kim Il-sung, founder of North Korea, who died in 1994, and commands the fourth largest standing army in the world. North Korea officially refers to him as the "Dear Leader".

CNN has described Kim as "one of the most mysterious leaders in the world."[1]

picture: gordon-brown_543639a1.jpg

OMG- so- those aliens sitting out in outer space- have been listening to Terry Wogan for since before time began

And people wonder why we haven't had our invite to join the galactic federation yet.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...96549&hl=en

'Tesla transverse and longitudinal electric waves'

He's only a century late.

I'm sure this won't interest many people but Tesla was an amazing guy. After all he gave the world A/C and the ditched it for pulsed D/C - he was ready to give the world free energy until JP Morgan asked where to put the meter. lol.

:o

god, people talk a load of old bolIocks about Tesla

I remember one of my physics teachers telling me that the constant that is the speed of light wasn’t actually a constant.

Light measured from very distant starts were shown to move faster than light from nearer starts. ie he was suggesting that as time moved the constants slightly changed.

Never looked into it myself so don’t know if he was telling the truth but it would be interesting if it was true.

I remember one of my physics teachers telling me that the constant that is the speed of light wasn’t actually a constant.

Light measured from very distant starts were shown to move faster than light from nearer starts. ie he was suggesting that as time moved the constants slightly changed.

Never looked into it myself so don’t know if he was telling the truth but it would be interesting if it was true.

There are theories in physics that allow for it in a number of different ways. Not a cosmologist, but I seem to recall that the current thinking re far away stars is that if the constant did change then it was by less than a measurable amount. Of course that requires the FTL inflationary big bang theory to be true.

if speed of light is the fastest you can go,how do you explain how prophecy works?

speed of thought is faster.

Where did Einstein say that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light?

Anyone that has seen a Mexican Wave in a stadium knows that information can travel faster than the medium carrying it.

if speed of light is the fastest you can go,how do you explain how prophecy works?

Nothing says you can't go faster than light. Einstein simply requires infinite energy to accelerate a massive particle to the speed of light. Look up tachyons.

Where did Einstein say that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light?

Anyone that has seen a Mexican Wave in a stadium knows that information can travel faster than the medium carrying it.

Other way round - cannot transmit info ftl, but the medium can move faster.

Guest anorthosite

Someone tell this guy that a radiowave is a form of light, and that I'll believe it when its published and confirmed by a third party.

Someone tell this guy that a radiowave is a form of light, and that I'll believe it when its published and confirmed by a third party.

It's probably just another phase or group velocity trick.

On one side of the debate, Albert Einstein (a man who looks smart even in shorts and womens shoes), on the other santafenewmexican.com

I know which way I'm falling in this debate.

Anyway, light = electromagnetic wave = radiowave

Edit: just noticed that Einstein is wearing womens shoes in the photo.

albert_einstein_at_beach_1945_celebrities_28954.jpg

post-20373-1246613095_thumb.jpg