House Price Crash Forum

Ba Wants To Cut 5,000 Jobs

BROF

HOLA441

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/...To_Avoid_Strike

BA wants to cut 5,000 jobs and introduce a two year pay freeze for ground staff, cabin crew and baggage handlers, according to Sky News sources.

British Airways is losing up to £3m every day

Earlier talks aimed at agreeing job losses and other cost savings at British Airways ended without any deal.

The airline said it wanted agreement with its main trade unions before the end of the day for a range of cost cuts.

Union officials said there would be further negotiations but sources said they did not know if the company was prepared to continue talks.

Mick Rix, national officer of the GMB union, said the unions agreed to adjourn the discussions to allow more time for talks with the company.

The company wants to make thousands of people redundant and also wants to freeze employees' pay and reduce allowances and benefits.

But unions have told Sky News that if they do not reach a deal then they will ballot their members on strike action.

If the members agree to strike, the most likely time will be August bank holiday weekend - bringing all BA flights over the long weekend to a standstill.

Last week BA announced that almost 7,000 staff had applied for voluntary pay cuts, including 800 who will work unpaid for up to a month.

The airline successfully convinced BA pilots to take cuts, but the dispute is now over cabin crew, baggage handlers and check-in staff.

Unions have said they are willing to make short-term sacrifices, but not anything permanent.

BA made losses of £401m last year and is reportedly losing up to £3m a day.

The company says it will save £10m after almost 7,000 employees volunteered for unpaid leave and unpaid work.

Chief executive Willie Walsh said: "This is a fantastic first response. I want to thank everyone who has volunteered to help us pull through this difficult period."

But unions accused the airline's managers of bullying staff into signing up - a charge denied by BA.

Officials said staff were pressured by email to accept one of the options or face a meeting with a British Airways manager

recovereh?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
I bet all those who took a wage holiday or pay cut are feeling foolish now, there redudnacy package will be affected.

Not really - the reference pay used in the redundancy calculation is capped at £350/week so unless they took a really massive pay cut they would have been well over the cap to start with and still over it post-cut.

HOLA445

BA is a terrible airline.

about 3 years ago I was on a flight and a battleaxe attendant told me to put my shoes back on WFT!! (business class)

I said to myself, this is the last time I fly BA, and so far it has been.

Easy on the eye, the only the to fly. :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
The airline said it wanted agreement with its main trade unions before the end of the day for a range of cost cuts

Sounds panicky.

Can't be long until Mandelslime gets involved with our money.

"It's not a bailout" :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Couldn't agree more. My 'no more' moment with BA was five years ago. An 86 year-old very close family friend who speaks no more than a few words of English was flying into Manchester from the Faroe Islands (via Copenhagen), where I was going to meet her off the plane. She missed a connection, another plane was cancelled, and as a result BA sent her to Glasgow and gave her a train ticket to Manchester. No-one at Manchester would even tell me that she was even flying to Glasgow, citing 'customer confidentiality' as the reason. The first I knew what had happened was at 1am at the arrivals hall at Manchester when I got a call on my mobile from the police at Glasgow airport. They'd called the Danish Embassy in London after she'd waved her passport at them, who in turn had spoken to her, found out what had happened, and told the Glasgow police to call me to work out what was to happen next. I drove straight to Glasgow, arrived at around 5am, and then drove us straight back to York, arriving mid-morning the following day. To this day I'm very glad I didn't cause an accident during those last few hours of driving, because I'd been up for 30-35 hours or so by that point.

Although the initial booking had been made through Atlantic Airways (Faroes), as far as I'm concerned BA had willingly taken her money to take her to Manchester, and at the very least should have been able to tell her in her own language why they weren't able to do that and then done whatever was necessary to get her to somewhere I was able to pick her up with minimal inconvenience. Ryanair would have said 'fook you!' and left her wherever, but given what she paid for that trip, BA should have done a lot more to prevent what she and I ended up having to deal with.

The day Willie Walsh appears before the bankruptcy court, the two of us will be splitting open a bottle. The sooner it happens, the better.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

about 3 years ago I was on a flight and a battleaxe attendant told me to put my shoes back on WFT!! (business class)

I said to myself, this is the last time I fly BA, and so far it has been.

Easy on the eye, the only the to fly. :lol:

Oh! so it was you with the smelly feet. I didn't pay 2k to stink your trotters for 8hrs :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Oh! so it was you with the smelly feet. I didn't pay 2k to stink your trotters for 8hrs :lol:

Its a flight safety thing for T/O and Landing. IF you were to crash off the end of the runway, with the ground strewn with sharp aluminium, glass and burning fuel, and wanted to do it without shoes, then be my guest. You will just make yourself a casualty.

Unfortunately, the (probably ugly) lady didnt have time to explain this to SLF (Self-loading freight). Nothing Worse to be honest than flying SLF.

As an aside, has anyone seen the latest Virgin Advert? It rocks!

Knowing one of the girls, I can testify that Richard does a GREAT job of looking after his girls!

Nop other way to fly transatlantic in my view!

HOLA4415