House Price Crash Forum

Poll - What's Happened To Your Salary In The Last 12 Months?

No pay increase for 2009 owing to economic climate - seems like companies want it both ways though -In my industry we have had 5 years of plenty when pay increases even then were scarcely above average - first sign of declining profits and in effect we have a pay cut - not all gloom though wife works in the Public sector and has just got 2.5 % .

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how to vote.

Public sector - did get 2% in April but am on a low salary compared to most on this site.

But as outsourcing is on the cards early next year - have jumped ship early - to another Public Sector job miles away from I am now - and will be taking a 15% cut and have to relocate.

Transformation is the buzz word in the Public Sector at the moment - another word for rationalisation - another word for Consultants/Contractors brought in to make cuts that those in good jobs don't want to have on their hands.

When I realised who was on the Transformation team and their background - that was what caused me to jump early.

Plus I'm one of those approaching 50 - and so didn't want to be on the heap in a year's time - better to have something than nothing.

Lots of Friends (5) in another sector of the same public sector org have been made redundant and another 8 have been transferred to lower jobs (but for awhile their salaries are ring-fenced - don't know how long - i.e. they get their current salary for 6 months or so before going down). By lower jobs I mean that some of them have gone down by 3 grades - almost admin jobs from qualified posts. They are accepting it beccause they have families and are part of 2 salaried families and prepared to stick.

No bonus, no rise and a request to take a 5% pay cut.

I have rejected their request and await redundancy!!!

The stupid twit who took my Local Government job last year after I was made redundant had a 3% cut at the beginning of the year and another 8% is in the pipeline. Same with the other twats who cautioned me against refusing the alternative employment offer.

If you are sure of your footings take the redundancy.

As expected, the majority stated pay rises. The thing is, what percentile of those who have endured pay cuts are going to go to the trouble of saying so on an online forum? The query attracts mainly those that would seek to gloat. Thus it is never going to be an unbiased resultset. My (omitted) vote may or may not have added to the skew, but I would doubt the validity of the spread for the stated reason.

The stupid twit who took my Local Government job last year after I was made redundant had a 3% cut at the beginning of the year and another 8% is in the pipeline. Same with the other twats who cautioned me against refusing the alternative employment offer.

If you are sure of your footings take the redundancy.

Thanks Kurt but probably being a little flippant.

My job is likely safe unlike many others who I work with who have also refused the offer and legally they can't enforce pay cuts (although they can give you 3 months notice to change your contract).

Today colleagues were balloted on whether they would consider striking (note at this stage just consider) in a bloody IT company!

Thanks Kurt but probably being a little flippant.

My job is likely safe unlike many others who I work with who have also refused the offer and legally they can't enforce pay cuts (although they can give you 3 months notice to change your contract).

Today colleagues were balloted on whether they would consider striking (note at this stage just consider) in a bloody IT company!

My colleague used to say the same - he was made redundant yesterday after spending all 31 years of his working life with the company

Edited by threetimesdead

My colleague used to say the same - he was made redundant yesterday after spending all 31 years of his working life with the company

Thanks for that just spoilt my day.

The reality is somewhat different. I have not been in the company long < 2 years but it is the circumstances in which I work which make it very unlikely I will be made redundant.

However please feel free to p1ss on my fire some more!

As expected, the majority stated pay rises. The thing is, what percentile of those who have endured pay cuts are going to go to the trouble of saying so on an online forum? The query attracts mainly those that would seek to gloat. Thus it is never going to be an unbiased resultset. My (omitted) vote may or may not have added to the skew, but I would doubt the validity of the spread for the stated reason.

Indeed. I ticked payrise as it's true.

I am expected to work far harder now though. I probably produce 15% more for my 7% rise due to pressure placed on me. So a cut, in effect.

The reality is somewhat different. I have not been in the company long < 2 years but it is the circumstances in which I work which make it very unlikely I will be made redundant.

2 years statutory redundancy = £660 unless your contract specifies something different - such as 1 weeks pay per year of service.

Mind you redundancy payments upto 30K tax free ;)

Edited by Kurt Barlow

No way will I p!ss on your fire

CEOs of 20 top companies have been coming onto bloomberg and FT talking about green shoots

and

going back to their staff into quarterly Town Halls talking of 30% drop in revenues and

10% workforce cuts

Is there a massive campaign to get you go spend your cash?

I had a significant pay rise about 8 months ago but that was my basic. We also run a commision scheme that has reduced my income by the same level as my payrise. So in effect.... No change

Nothing to see here

I earn lots more when the sun is shining though, so long may it continue.... I don`t sell ice creams ;)

I had a significant pay rise about 8 months ago but that was my basic. We also run a commision scheme that has reduced my income by the same level as my payrise. So in effect.... No change

Nothing to see here

I earn lots more when the sun is shining though, so long may it continue.... I don`t sell ice creams ;)

Typical sales guy

I still cannot believe you pay a guy for SELLING

And he gets 10 times more than the guy who makes the goods :lol:

Edited by threetimesdead

Not sure how to vote.

Public sector - did get 2% in April but am on a low salary compared to most on this site.

this reflects the attitude from so many in the public sector: "we don't get paid much really"

well how do you know what everyone else gets paid? you just kinda guess?

I've met petty thieves with similar levels of self-honesty.

"ooh where did all the money go - ooh dunno, perhaps I nicked it cos I is poor"

Everyone in my company was 'asked' if they would take a 3% cut for the year, with the moral blackmail of large numbers of redundancies threatened if we didn't 'volunteer'.

Allegedly, it is only for one year, but I can see it being extended, and there certainly won't be any real term pay rises even if our salaries are returned to their normal level.

I got about 2.5% at Christmas when we get out bonus and pay rise, but a few weeks later the boss informed up our biggest client was pulling out and ultimately people would have to go, I'm OK personally but we have already lost one person (from a total of 15) and more are due to go soon.

I doubt I'll get and neither would I expect a rise or bonus this Christmas.

No bonus next year and no pay rise this year.

Normally I'd count not having a pay rise as a pay cut because of inflation, but I work in Spain, which is in deflation, so I it's more like a pay rise. Also being paid in euros has made me feel like I've had a bit of pay a rise, since the pound has fallen quite a bit over the last year. However the lack of bonus means that overall I've had a pay cut.

I get salary increases every 10 to 12 months. The last one was in November 08. However, all scheduled salary increases for staff are now being pushed out further than the typical 10-12 months and also being reduced. Salary ranges are weighted against other companies in the area and industry so if their salaries drop, so does mine.

I expect to be thoroughly shafted this year.

Self employed - I worked out that 20% of my customers result in 80% of my profit so I've cut down my hours and put my rates up and am now chasing the 'juicy' work. So far, I'm making the same money but having more time off - should have done it earlier.

Work Smart, as they say.

Buckers

what do you do?

Typical sales guy

I still cannot believe you pay a guy for SELLING

And he gets 10 times more than the guy who makes the goods :lol:

WRONG.......

I am not a salesperson and this commision related scheme is for everyone who works for the company from drivers to Managers.

The boss issued a system years ago where as if the company does well, then everyone gets a piece of it. We Hire. fix/repair, sell Camera/Broadcast equipment.

We are busier in the summer because people make more outside TV stuff when the sun is shining.

Everyone that has worked here for more than 2 years is gifted with share options. The dividend is then devided to produce a christmas bonus wether you are in the warehouse or accounts department etc. Everyone gets the same!!!

The more a salesmen/Co-ordinator sells/Hires the more we all earn and the salesmans commisions threshold is no different to that of a warehouse manager.

When I started here 17 years ago we had 6 people and turned over £600,000.... We are now a Group and last year we turned over 44 million.

The boss does well and he truly rewards his staff.

Not so typical I think...

Sorry but I get defensive over this company :lol: